Options

Hot Water Pressure / Cold water tap? 2019 TAB 320S

Greetings all.  Can someone tell me if it necessary to turn on the cold water tap in order to get pressure for hot water? In the shower, for example, I'm finding that hot water does not flow unless I open the cold water tap. The same appears to be true for the kitchen sink and outside shower (which has very poor pressure).

Cheers
2019 TAB 320s
Vancouver Island

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @RetireeBC, I have never really thought about it, and have not previously seen this question posed on the forum, but I don't believe I have had to also turn on the cold faucet when using hot water at the kitchen sink.  I always turn on the cold water faucet slightly when taking a shower, but that is to even-out the temperature for a comfortable shower. 

However, it may very well be possible that turning on the cold water faucet assists with the water pressure.  However, if true, I doubt it has to be opened too much to accomplish what may be necessary for better pressure.  I only say this, because the cold water line is what fills (or, "backfills" / "re-fills") the Alde boiler (hot water tank) as the hot water is being used for a shower, etc.  It makes some sense that you might need the cold line pressure to help push (i.e., pressurize) the hot water through the line.  Just a guess, but I really have no facts to base it on.  Interesting question. 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I reluctantly chime-in on this one.  I've never experienced the need to open a cold water spigot in order to get hot water flowing.  I also don't recall ever seeing a post describing this problem.  Waiting for our Resident Alde Plumbers to respond.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    edited June 2021
    @RetireeBC - flow from our hot water tap is always lower pressure than our cold taps.  It does improve if the Alde is on and the water is hot - like with using the boost setting for a shower.  I suspect the mixing valve is the culprit.  Make sure your Alde water tank is filled and see if that helps.  We just set the mixing valve so the water from the hot tap is very hot, then bleed in a lot of cold water.  

The outside shower flow is a known issue.  There is a fix that involves drilling a bigger outlet hole.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Tabaz (posted above at 2:03 a.m.) and @Sharon_is_SAM (posted above at 4:01 a.m.) have earned their "Night Owl" (or, if more accurate, "Early Riser") merit badge.  I was only "dreaming" of my next contribution at those times.  Congratulations!!
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Bayliss, but that is at your AZ time. Here in the Midwest, @Sharon_is_Sam posted at 7:01 am EDT and Tabaz posted at 5:03 am EDT, which would be a nite owl time of 2:03 am his time (I think!). Yes, it is amazing sometimes looking at the times, but I can be a nite owl at times, too. These thunderstorms the last couple of nights have woken one of the dogs up, and I may have picked up the phone and glanced at the forum while comforting the dog. Yawn……..
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    You're right, @Verna.  That dawned on me shortly after I made those comments.  Oh well, they are still entitled to "honorary" merit badges, along with many other contributors to this forum, like you.

• Options
    RetireeBCRetireeBC Member Posts: 64
    Greetings all.  Thanks very much for your comments. Given that the problem is at all facets, I suspect that there is an issue with the mixing valve as noted by @Sharon_is_SAM.
    When de-winterizing I did find that I needed to clean the strainer at the water pump.  Do you know if there is there a strainer at the mixing valve or if it ever needs to be cleaned in some way?

Just catching up & easing into the day on the West Coast of BC.

Thanks again.

2019 TAB 320s
    Vancouver Island
  • Options
    @RetireeBC, I had trouble with my mixing valve a few weeks ago and with me, it was operator error. 

I figured if the mixing valve needed to be turned towards the plus, turning it a bit more wouldn’t hurt. Oh yes, it did hurt!  Super low pressure, no hot water. 

I had to return the mixing valve to the original position, turn it to the stop towards the +. Loosen the screw, gently lift the black knob past the stop, tighten the screw and just turn the valve a bit, maybe 3/8”. I turned on the hot water and it was hot and there was pressure. The cold water had pressure. And this was water coming from the on-board tank, not city water. 

If this helps—great, my blunder helped. If it doesn’t help, maybe it will help someone else. 

Good luck.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks Verna, all the input is helpful.  Who knew that such a little trailer could be so challenging.

Cheers.
    2019 TAB 320s
    Vancouver Island
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @Verna - do you have the new Thermostatic mixing valve or the original?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I have the original black mixing valve. It does seem to be more sensitive than the original one I had on my 2019 T@B 400.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I have the original mixing valve.
    2019 TAB 320s
    Vancouver Island