Options

DM Thermarest side tent--Missing Keder zipper....

Our new-to-us 2009 Dutchmen T1 (though the certificate of origin says "T1T", not certain why) came with the yellow Thermarest side tent we were told had never been used. And while it appears to be in excellent condition, it's missing a critical component: the long zipper marked "Zipper #1" that is installed along the top Keder rail. The tent, apparently, is then zipped to this piece. We have the bottom two zippers (#2 and #3). 

I've called Thermarest--long shot, I know--and while I was treated very well by a customer service fellow, who promised to root around on my behalf for the possibility of old stock, it's not likely he'll find anything. I've also thought about contacting a tent maker or sail maker (we live in Maine). 

It's also just occurred to me that I should try a "wanted" post at this forum. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    It may be easier to sew Keder rope to the tent.  Google search “Keder rail roping”
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    edited May 2021
    A sail maker will be able to help.  The Keder part is the same as a sail's bolt rope.  They'll probably need a new zipper on the tent as well as the new awning rope.  I would ask about substituting an appropriate sized sail boltrope with teflon threads.  It makes a big difference in how easily the rope slides in the track.

https://www.sailrite.com/Keder-Awning-Rope-Tape?gclid=Cj0KCQjwytOEBhD5ARIsANnRjVj_F8CaNs8gMXfNHscw5KvMdqL_Rxuu7Xy3sJe37kykhXZ_u50kBsYaAlt7EALw_wcB

• Options
    GrittyGritty Member Posts: 8
    Excellent suggestions. I believe we'll end up doing this. 

Thanks very much!
  • Options
    A month later and I'm back to report that we did indeed use this suggestion and it has worked very well, indeed.

We camped last weekend for the first time in our T@B, outfitted with new bearings, brakes, LED lights in and out, and a host of other alterations and improvements.

The biggest (aside from the bearings and brakes) was sewing the Keder rope/tape in place of the missing zipper for the Thermarest tent. We cut the teeth off the half of the zipper attached to the tent as they would be in the way and are no longer of use. Then my wife sewed the Keder rope/tape to the tent, right over the zipper, giving the stitching and ample and rugged place in which to bite.

The result is great, perhaps a wee bit tight at the back end, but nothing prohibitive and barely noticeable. 

Once again, our thanks to the knowledgeable folks at this fine forum. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2021
    Isn't that Thermarest side-tent great? That has ended up being one of our most appreciated add-ons. We picked up ours minimally used also.

In your mod list, if you didn't include LED tail-lights, I can highly recommend them. The tail-lights on the earlier Tabs are pretty dim. You can find detailed instructions for the tail-light mod on the forums. Either on this forum or on (what was) the old Yahoo forum. Not sure which.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Hi, ChanW. Yes, we really like the Thermarest tent. It makes the T@B downright spacious! We did indeed swap out the old tail lights for LEDs. I used some of the tips found here at the forum for the change-over. The new ones are so much brighter than the originals. I also swapped out the marker lights, the interior lamps, added a MaxxAir fan, a 12-volt LED strip light above the sink, and a double-USB/12-volt/switch/volt meter receptacle in place of the old light to the left of the sink. Next up--two flexible solar panels on the roof.