Options

Powering T@B 320 with Invertor

I have just installed 2 175 watt Renogy panel on the roof of a 2018 T@B 329 CS-S.  I also have a 100 w Renogy suitcase.  I have a 40 AMP charge controller, 200 watt invertor and 2 AGB 125 AMP batteries.    I moved everything to the storage area on the passenger side.  All fits great.  The issue I am have is I cannot figure out how the everything off the invertor (minus Air).  Can I just connect directly to the GFI breaker or to the 30 AMP shore power.  I will never be running the invertor and shore power at the same time

Comments

• Options
    Stephene1212Stephene1212 Member Posts: 8
    sorry for the couple typos it is a 320 CS-S
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2021
    I believe to be "proper and legal" you must use a transfer switch to prevent back feed into the shore power cord. A transfer switch is used typically with generators that are permanently wired in an RV or as an emergency power back up for a home. The same would hold true for a higher wattage inverter to prevent injury to others. 

With that being said, can I ask why you want to be able to power the entire RV with your inverter?

I ask for a few reasons:

There is always an efficiency loss in the conversion
    When using a higher wattage inverter, the amperage draw is extreme (1200 watts AC requires 110 amps + of 12 volt DC input)
    Are you planning to try and run something like your air conditioner?

On our 400 BDL, the inverter is 1200 watts which is not nearly enough to power the air conditioning unit. I could upgrade to a 2000 watt and that would allow me to run the air conditioner for a very short period of time. We have 2 x Battleborn Lithium 100 Ah batteries for power but have 192 watts solar on the roof.

I guess what I am saying is that depending on what you are trying to accomplish may or may not be possible with an inverter, 250 Ah of batteries and 450 watts of solar power.

Brad

Edit - The simplest work around to a transfer switch etc. would be to plug the shore power cord into the inverter. 
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    I just want to make sure that I have access to all the plugs.  Not planning on running AC off of Invertor

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    I just want to make sure that I have access to all the plugs.  Not planning on running AC off of Invertor

As @Dutch061 mentioned, the only correct way of doing this is to use a transfer switch such as this one and wire it in.  https://www.progressivedyn.com/transfer-switches/

I have seen some wire it in the main panel and back-feed to a breaker but this is dangerous, and can be a recipe for disaster if you forget to turn off that breaker before hooking to shore power.  I have also seen some on YouTube run an extension cord out to the main 30amp plug and then plug into the inverter.  This also is not a good idea as it will feed your converter and onboard charger causing higher power draw as it will try and charge your battery off the inverter.  Your best bet is just run a small extension cord from the inverter, or wire in an additional outlet or two that is just hooked up to the inverter if you don't want to mess with a transfer switch like they do in the T@b 400.  You would want to have some sort of shut off switch as @Dutch061 mentioned as well to keep the inverter from using standby power and wasting your battery.
  • Options
    Thank you.

I have decided to use the GO Power TS-30 transfer switch.
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64

I installed a transfer switch and inverter, for the same reason.

To prevent the converter from drawing down the battery, most of the time its circuit breaker is turned off. (The two solar panels usually keep the batteries charged). I also turn off the Alde's circuit breaker except when on shore power, so that I don't accidentally overload the inverter.

Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    Unless I misunderstand the Alde can run on propane with just the fan using 120.  I like the hot water
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    edited July 2021
    Unless I misunderstand the Alde can run on propane with just the fan using 120.  I like the hot water
    That’s correct and it can run on propane and on the battery as well to provide hot water and heat also.
  • Options
    billmaghanbillmaghan Member Posts: 3
    You can plug your shore power cord into the inverter and power all outlets inside the trailer.  But first you must hire an electrician to move the on-board battery charger wire 110 volt feed from the breaker labeled "GFCI" to the refrigerator's 110 volt  breaker.  Turn off the fridge breaker when getting your 110 from the inverter.  Turn the fridge breaker on when parked with hookups.  This leaves all the electrical safety devices working, and is touch-safe.