Options

Fixing crack in plastic and missing weather stripping

PeterTABPeterTAB Member Posts: 8
Hi everyone, I purchased a used 2017 TAB 320 S yesterday and have started the process of going through and fixing it up, starting with a couple of exterior weather proofing issues that I'm itching to get fixed before rain season starts here in California.

First is this large crack in the Azdel in the back of the trailer:

I found some tips on how to repair fiberglass cracks online -- can I just do the same here and it'll work for Azdel too?

How much would an RV repair shop charge for fixing something like this? I watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJHvWdONkVw) and I'm not sure I should attempt something like this...feels a bit out of my skill set.

Next is this missing bit of stripping along one edge of the trailer (see how it stops a few feet short):

I found some posts on this forum about loose stripping and how that can be fixed with some RV Goop, but I suppose I need to rip the remainder of this strip out and put a new one in? Is there a proper name for this that I can look around on Amazon for? Does anyone have a particular product recommendation?

Thanks!

Edited title to reflect the proper material broken to help with future searches—Verna, T@B forum Admin

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    I don't have a 320, but I'm pretty sure that crack in the rear is in a plastic decorative trim piece.  If you did nothing it will not leak into the trailer.  However, I hate to leave something like this unrepaired--if for no other reason than it would bother me every time I looked at it.  I believe you can repair it by spreading a line of "Goop" (that is really the name) along the crack and then pushing it back into position.  The Goop will take at least a day or two to dry completely so keep it in the proper position with tape.  After the Goop has dried completely you can (very carefully) trim any excess from the outside of the crack line with a box cutter with a sharp blade.  A single sided raizor blade will also work if that is easier for you.  Pull the exposed Goop away from the glue line very slightly (it is flexible enough to do this) and trim close to the plastic.  Don't pull too vigorously or you may pull the Goop completely out of the crack you are wanting to seal.
    Goop is available at Lowe's, Home Depot, and hardware stores.  It may be labelled "Plumber's Goop, Electrician's Goop, or similar but it is all the same stuff.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    Regarding the black, rubber molding - contact a dealer to order a replacement from nuCamp.  Over on the TaG forum, they sourced similar molding from Amazon.  It covers the roof trim screws.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    edited July 2021
    As someone else pointed out, that's not Adzel or fiberglass. The Adzel panels are used on the sides of the T@B. It's a plastic trim piece. You could maybe try JB Weld. Hopefully someone will chime in with advice on how to repair. You may be able to buy a replacement part from NuCamp but it will probably be expensive. 
    Where are you located in California?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    PeterTABPeterTAB Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the responses! Glad to hear it's only a plastic trim piece. I will give the Goop a try!

Marceline said:
    As someone else pointed out, that's not Adzel or fiberglass. The Adzel panels are used on the sides of the T@B. It's a plastic trim piece. You could maybe try JB Weld. Hopefully someone will chime in with advice on how to repair. You may be able to buy a replacement part from NuCamp but it will probably be expensive. 
    I am located near San Jose.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    PeterTAB said:
    Thanks for the responses! Glad to hear it's only a plastic trim piece. I will give the Goop a try!

Marceline said:
    I am located near San Jose.
    We have a big group of NorCal T@B owners that meets for rallies at Olema (Pt Reyes). The next rally is Oct 7-10. It’s completely full but we have a waiting list. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab