Options

Recharge Battery Ideas

I have 2006 T@B with a lead acid battery. I am planning on a six day stay where I will not be connected to the grid nor be charging the battery from the pull vehicle. I think I want to get a solar panel to recharge the battery during the day, but do not know what size would be optimal or where best to buy it.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @StevenC - do you have a 3 way frig to run on propane?  That would be helpful.  It helps to know what you need to power.  A lot of owners with a 3 way frig get by with a 100 watt suitcase and a 75-100 watt battery with good sun exposure.  Renogy is a solid brand with a built in controller.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We occasionally go for a 5-day dry camping trip, and replaced our stock battery with a 150AH golf cart battery (Trojan 1275) from a golf cart shop.  Also got a Renogy 100W panel to deploy on the ground, along with a Victron charge controller and battery monitor.  They have worked well for us.  I've documented all of these installations here, if you use the search function.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    Trying to keep it simple. Two questions:

1. Can you run the lower-demand items for a day or two by bringing along a standalone battery pack charged up at home?  Such as the Togo Power Portable Power Station A650, 634Wh Rechargeable Mobile Lithium Battery Pack with Dual AC 120V/500W Outlets, Solar Generator CPAP Power Supply (about $500)?

2. How long does it take to trickle-charge a standard 12-volt TAB marine battery from a standard 110-volt outlet?
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    What size battery do you have now?  Match the battery amp hours to the size of the solar panel in watts. Use a simple connection from the solar controller to the battery, such as battery clamps.  Find a simple multimeter and take a few minutes to use it. It would be simple to keep the battery charged for several days, it just might take some "wrangling" with the fridge.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    Thanks. I found a $1500 package that looks good.  Includes two 100 solar panels.  Jackery Solar Generator 1000, Explorer 1000 and 2X SolarSaga 100W with 3x110V/1000W AC Outlets, Solar Mobile Lithium Battery Pack for Outdoor RV/Van Camping, Emergency
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    The problem with solar is the sun. On the same trip we stopped at Shenandoah Np, and our battery was dead after one and a half days. At Assateague SP our batteries were fully charged by 1pm everyday. this was in our old trailer, not the 320. I used a portable 100w solar panel clipped directly to battery, and moved it to keep it in the sun as the day progressed. I bought the panel from Costco, with an 8amp controller for $89.