Options

How Is The External Solar Port Wired on the 2021 T@B 400?

ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
Can anyone tell me how NuCamp has wired up the external solar port on their 2021 T@B 400s?
My 2021 T@B 400 didn't come with the external solar port (why?), and I'd like to add one and figured I could use NuCamp's wiring as a guide on how to hook it up. So if anyone has a good understanding of the wiring or better yet some pics, I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,208
    I noticed the earlier 2021s didn’t have that external port. 

I believe mine is wired to the main fuse (in the exterior storage compartment. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    If it helps, the Nucamp dealer attached a Zamp solar port to my 2019 400 after the original purchase and placed the port on the driver side of my trailer and ran the wire into the middle compartment under the bed.

Pictures are in this thread (which is about installing shunt in this area) for my 2019.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12517/battery-monitor-recommendation-non-solar#latest

Mine had a distribution block outside the battery case, which made it easier, and this distribution block is before the battery disconnect switch, so it is always "hot". I believe the 2021 has dual 6V batteries in the rear of the middle under bed section, so the location should be similar. I have found external solar plugs in various spots, however, based upon what is the easiest way to the battery.

Of course in your case you will also have the solar panel connection so that may help identify where to tap into the circuit.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    @qhumberd
    Thank you. So it just goes to the battery distribution block, which makes it very easy. On the 2021, the distribution block is on the passenger side right by the outside storage bin.

@manyman297
    Thank you. Is the 2021 factory provided port a regular Zamp port and where is it installed on the sidewall of the 400?

Thanks again to both of you,
    Chris
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,208
    It’s an SAE (which is a Zamp port) port. It’s right below the 30 amp outlet.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Just an FYI: Just having a port connected to the battery is fine as long as your solar panel you plug in has a built in controller or there is one in-line between them. You should not just connect the output of a panel to the battery directly.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    SLJ said:
    Just an FYI: Just having a port connected to the battery is fine as long as your solar panel you plug in has a built in controller or there is one in-line between them. You should not just connect the output of a panel to the battery directly.
    Yes, I understand that. 
    Do you know if I'm correct that I can connect a solar charge controller directly to the battery distribution block, and the SAE port to the charge controller (for use with a suitcase panel without a controller)? I'm thinking I'll install another Victron 75/15 MPPT as I already have one and the Victron shunt...they can all be managed in the same app and talk to each other.
    And what gauge wire is this normally done with?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Yes you can Chris, just be sure to add a 30amp fuse between the controller and battery distro box.  Most solar units are wired with AWG 8 wire, same size used on the SAE connector.  If your portable solar panels do not have a fuse, add another one between the SAE connector and the Victron MPPT controller.  This is how I have done our 2018 TaB400 SAE connector, and used a second Victron 75/15 MPPT controller.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Denny16 said:
    Yes you can Chris, just be sure to add a 30amp fuse between the controller and battery distro box.  Most solar units are wired with AWG 8 wire, same size used on the SAE connector.  If your portable solar panels do not have a fuse, add another one between the SAE connector and the Victron MPPT controller.  This is how I have done our 2018 TaB400 SAE connector, and used a second Victron 75/15 MPPT controller.  
    Cheers
    Thanks @Denny16
    I've read up on fusing this install, and what I found matches what you said.
    One point of interest is that NuCamp uses 10 AWG (at least that is what I believe it is from looking at it) from the Victron controller to the battery...which is what most of what I've read recommends as well. Obviously no harm in going bigger with 8 AWG.
    What size fuse did you use between the controller and the SAE connector? 
    And I've pretty much decided that I will add the second Victron 75/15.

Now to decide where to install the SAE connector. NuCamp puts it on the drivers side, but the battery block is right there on the passenger side.
    But I think I see an advantage to putting it on the drivers side so the cable isn't sticking out on the patio side of things when being used. Hmmm...
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Glad to help Chris.  I used a 30 amp fuse between the SAE plug and controller.
    Out 2018 TaB400 had a factory option installed SAE connector on the Pax side of the trailer forward and above the rear storage door, which is next to the battery area.  I would install the plug in the same place on your rig also, as it keeps the wire run short.  But this depends on where you plan to deploy the portable solar panels.  I setup the panels from the Pax side, where I can keep an eye on them, so having the plug on this side works for us.

Our TaB had no 10 wire from Victron controller to battery (run was short) but I am replacing this with no. 8, as I have 193 watts of solar on the roof.  The bigger the wire, the less any potential voltage loss and less heat being generated, due to wire resistance.  Even for AC wiring, I try to use the next size larger wire, especially for longer runs.  My portable solar panels came with AWG no 8 wire, so staying with the same size for my solar wiring runs.
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16
    Helpful info, thanks.
    Interesting thing is I can't find any sidewall SAE ports that don't have the wire pigtail already molded in...and the largest of those is 10 AWG...with others as small as 16 AWG. But nothing with screw terminals to attach your own wiring to the port.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @ChrisFix, you can cut SAE connector pigtail short, and add the fuse holder connect to the no 8AWG wire.  A short bit of 10 AWG is not going to cause any issues, as you normally would not be having that big a load on it from only 100 watts of solar panels, or even 200 watts, as they very rarely run at full capacity.  A short  bit of no 10 wire (less than 12-inches) is not going to cause any measurable voltage drop either, in most cases.

If you are running 200 watts of external solar, add a second SAE plug and combine them in parallel to the fuse, this way each 100 watt panel has its own cable run to the converter.

I left the SAE on our TaB connected to the battery setup for an outside 12-VDC connection for a compressor, and added a new 4-pin Marine waterproof plug setup for our external solar connection.  The 4-pin (only use two of the pins for the solar panels) will take the larger no 8 AWG marine wire I am using.
    cheers
  • Options
    BlueYonderBlueYonder Member Posts: 19
    The port connects to the red and white wires which go to the controller battery terminals. Our 2021 400
  • Options
    @BlueYonder
    Thanks for those photos...I know that isn't an easy area to quickly access!
    So NuCamp just uses an SAE Connector with the molded pigtail - and that is wired directly to the battery (via the battery distribution block probably?).
    Am I correct that the Victron solar charge controller is for your roof top solar panel, and the SAE external port, is just that, a direct connection to the battery, requiring an external control for the suitcase type solar?
    And that looks like it is all 10 AWG...do you happen to know what they used?
  • Options
    I’ll have a look at it in the morning and let you know.
  • Options
    @BlueYonder
    That's very nice of you...but please don't go out of your way just for me. I'm interested but don't want to impose on your time.
  • Options
    Not a problem at all. It’s a 20’ walk from my back door. It is #10 AWG, and your other suppositions are correct about the controller in my pictures and where the wires go as far as I know. The wires all disappear from the cavity in front of the storage compartment into a very difficult area to access, without a lot of disassembly, on the passenger side of the storage/battery compartments.
  • Options
    @BlueYonder
    Thanks so much.
    That cavity contains the battery wiring distribution block, and the fuse for the inverter. Here is a picture of what is in that hard to access area between the outside storage and the battery compartment that I posted from a different thread (where I added a Victron battery monitor shunt).

• Options
    Yep that’s the place. I haven’t been there yet. I put my smart shunt in the battery compartment