Winterizing differences for the Nautilus models of the 320

Are there any significant differences for winterizing procedures for the Nautlilus 320 models over the last couple of years.  If so: what are they?
Now the temps have fallen, FB users of the 2022's are looking for directions to winterize, but only finding 2021 threads about it here or whereever they are searching.    Would the 2021 models and 2022 models have the same procedures?  (It seems to me the Nautilus directions are the same...but I don't really know).
2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Same procedure for 2022 as 2021 Nautilus models.  They both should have the large, red Alde bypass valve within the Nautilus cubbie.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    Thanks, Paul. I'm the one who posted about this on Facebook today. 

I cannot find any detailed instructions/video for the blowout method with a video for 2021 and 2022 models. I see lots of debate about what's best, and some comments about doing it, but nothing like the following (and there ARE differences...The low point drains are in a different location, for example):

1. Locate the low point drains behind the drivers side wheel and open them
    2. Open the Alde drain
    3. Set Nautilus knobs to XXXX
    4. Attach air compressor to city water and... 

etc...

• DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    Same procedure for 2022 as 2021 Nautilus models.  They both should have the large, red Alde bypass valve within the Nautilus cubbie.
    What's the point of the bypass valve if not filling with antifreeze and doing the air compressor blowout method instead? 
    You would use the bypass valve to avoid getting bleach in the Alde when you sanitize the water tank/plumbing.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited October 2021
    @Sharon_is_SAM thanks for the help.
    When I look at the Nautilus manual and the few videos I've discovered, it seems they are using a compressor only to help pressurize the low point drains.   This is where I get lost:
    Page 11 and 12 of the Nautilus 2.5 manual. Tanks get drained, valves at the 45 degree position. All good.
    Page 12: Paragraph 5:  Using "CITY WATER" inlet or low point drain, blow out
    plumbing lines (40 PSI max) with handles still at 45 degree angle as shown. This will ensure any
    trapped water in plumbing harness is removed.
    So, this paragraph is "where the miracle happens" and all the water is out of the trailer all the way to the faucets?  (I don't think so).  If you are only using the blowout method, shouldn't this paragraph get a little deeper into pressurizing the system and opening up faucet by faucet until you drive the pipes clear? (Just like the "older" 320 blowout instructions?) To "blow out" all the way to the faucets, would the handles have to be in a different position, like for dry camping?
    The manual, and all the videos, immediately go to Paragraph 7, (actually, there is a typo, with two paragraph 7's!) on page 12, and the "filling with antifreeze" section begins.  
    The confusion: people want to do the blowout method. The instructions for the Nautilus just skip over "blowing out" to the faucets, using the compressor to make sure only the low point drains are pressurized to drain better.  (The Nautilus 3.0 manual does the same.)
    So:  have people done the blow out method (all the way to the faucets, and antifreeze only in the traps, etc?)  Would the basic 320 instructions for doing the blowout method work safely with the Nautilus?
    2017 Outback
    @pthomas745 - when I reread this “ This will ensure any trapped water in plumbing harness is removed.“  I think it is to mostly clear the Nautilus manifold.  But, they do say plumbing lines.  And they say to “open a hot and cold faucet to help the drainage process”, but that is not mentioned specific to blowing out the lines.

Not sure, but I think that most are using the blow then AF technique because:  it is easy to add the AF and it only enters the lines - not the fresh tank, so spring dewinterization is a breeze.

I am preparing a step by step instruction sheet like I did for TaBs with the Alde.  Can you review it when I am done?
    Well, I might be able to check it for commas and such, but: I've never seen a Nautilus!
    I've been through a lot of threads yesterday and this morning, and a thread from last year has one comment buried at the end that seems to answer my basic question about the valves and the blow out.  I think this is the sequence I'm asking about.

"Put the valves in the "Winterize position" that is shown right after the blow out sequence and then put the compressed air in to blow out the lines as described. One at a time open and close the sink then the bath sink, then flush the toilet, then go outside and do the shower. This is done after you drain both hot and cold low point drains (red and blue valves in the Nautilus box)."
    This comment from "MarkAl"

But, yes, a summary of winterizing methods that separates the "blowout" from the "fill with antifreeze" would really help.

2017 Outback
    @pthomas745 - member @bergger has some helpful info.  Some folks indicated that the Nautilus instructions were incorrect, but he commented that they were fine as written.  I think for anyone in freezing temperatures should use AF as directed.  The nuCamp manual message made doing just the blow out questionable for me.

“There is a secondary method of winterizing that does not use RV antifreeze. The line is simply blown out with a blowout plug and no antifreeze is added. Since there is a risk involved with this method if the system is not blown out thoroughly, nuCamp recommends the RV antifreeze winterizing method as a safer option. If you wish to try the blowout method consult your dealer for instructions and training. Pressure in the lines must never exceed 50 PSI when blowing out the water system.”

There just seems to be as many new trailer owners who just don't want to use the antifreeze method. Especially people on the road. And, owners who have upgraded from older 320's who did the blowout method and discovered how easy it is.  There should be good instructions for it with all the caveats and cautions included.
    2017 Outback
  • Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    I believe the Nautilus instructions for blowing out the city water line is only intended to clear water from sections that will not get filled with AF (e.g. between the city water connection and backflow preventer). The Nautilus system was designed to make winterizing with AF easy so I'm taking advantage of that. I see no need to "reinvent the wheel".
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
    edited October 2021
    @Da_Birds the blowout method is preferred by many owners who don't need a full on winterizing in weather that might only be marginally cold.  Someone traveling in the fall and spring is able to blow out, use a small amount of antifreeze, and quickly go back to "camping season" mode without having to drain a lot of antifreeze, etc.  It has been used in the 320 for years. 
    PS: Not to mention people who don't want to use antifreeze or bleach or any product they might not be comfortable about.

2017 Outback