Options

If you are thinking about getting the trailer tent

vitovito Member Posts: 181
edited July 2015 in Products and Accessories
I bought the Trailer Tent as part of my purchase of my new T@b S-Max, and was told that the tent would be directly shipped to my home. Checking on the status today, two weeks after I picked up my T@b, I was directed to Little Guys to Pa-Ha-Que in San Diego who manufactures this item for Little Guys. I found out today that these are made to order, not stocked, and that it takes approximately 6 weeks from the date of the order to ship. They ship by UPS so that would add more than a few days especially for someone on the East coast. Also, the set-up instructions say to insert the edge of the tent into the "Keder rail" on the edge of the trailer. My "rail" has a rubber insert in it, so I assume that the rubber would need to be removed first. Once I get it and use it I will post my experience with it. Anyone want to share how they use is and if they think its worth the $795 cost?
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    :s Vito- I don't have one....but yes, you must remove the plastic insert in order to use the keder rail. "dontcha hate waiting for stuff?"  
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited July 2015
    Yes, the plastic strip comes out, it is there for decoration only, so you can leave it out of you want.

My Visor XL took two months, but has been well worth the wait.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, I got my Visor roughly 5-weeks after I ordered my T@B
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    6 or 8 weeks to get my Pa-ha-que tent. It's a bit of a pain to put up, and I've had water enter when I wasn't able to properly stake a corner in the right direction. Also unless the guy lines out the front are set just right, the screen door on mine is almost impossible to zip up - I guess "set up requires patience and tuning" (or maybe it's just me; I've only used it 2 or 3 times.) It IS nice to have the extra protected space.

I'd like for them to have a slot for the trailer step. As it is, the skirt blocks the step, so I use a small plastic step stool in the tent.

Worth the $795? I think it probably is if you'll usually be camping for several days at the same place, but probably not if you'll be moving every day or so.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    Even the Visor isn't worth it if you move every day - Unless I'm going to be in a spot for at least two days, but usually three, I don't mess with setting up anything.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2015
    It's pretty expensive for a 'tent', but we bought the (now discontinued) ThermaRest at about the same price, and love it even though. Excellent extra space for rainy days, snowy days, dog, gear, bike, grandkid, etc.

The ThermaRest design is excellent, a bit of a chore to set up, inaccessible step also, but worth it. I can't say about the PahaQue, dunno there.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Agreed PXLated, not worth the trouble when I am just stopping for a night.  I do have set up down to five minutes.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I have the full awning and it is like all the their stuff, very well made, works well and takes a long time to get.  Trust me, their stuff is worth the wait.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I get to try out my XL Visor (or is it Visor XL?) next week along with my T@B tent. I'll be in the same Camp site for 12 days--the first camping since I got back from Arizona in late March. Fun, fun, fun! 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I think it's Visor XL - Easy setup - But as you know, I replaced the tie down system. Didn't like the stock one at all. Let me know what you think.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    I think it's Visor XL - Easy setup - But as you know, I replaced the tie down system. Didn't like the stock one at all. Let me know what you think.
    Remember that I asked how you set yours up, PXLated? I have the straps (red, of course) and I'm ready to install mine the way. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have a 10 x 10 screen room for the SS and only use it when I am camped for 2-3 days as like any other screen room it does take time to assemble and set up.  very happy with the quality of Paha Que's gear and my 10 x 10 canopy and 5 x 7 screen room are both mainstays in my tool box and travel with me wherever I go.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Patti - I just can't imagine getting it stable in 30-40 with the std system - More power to them if they did but would have to see it live and in person :-)
  • Options
    Verna - Red straps - Who'd a guessed ;-)
  • Options
    Patti - I found an improved tie-down system - Good in 25-35 - Held in 50 but it was rocking/rollin and I wouldn't recommend leaving it up in those conditions. Gusty is worse than steady. In heavy gusts it is hard to set up as it becomes a kite until you get it anchored.
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    edited July 2015
    LARK said:
    :s Vito- I don't have one....but yes, you must remove the plastic insert in order to use the keder rail. "dontcha hate waiting for stuff?"  
    I didn't know that, I put my visor on without taking the plastic insert.  No wonder it was so difficult!  I bought it from an individual and there were no instructions. Thanks for the insight!
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    How did you possibly get it to squeeze into the rail?
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    We have all 3, the XL visor, the awning, AND the full tent - all from Paha-Que. The visor is used most frequently as it most simple and quick to set up, we put it up each time when we are spending a weekend in a camp - we usually  stay 2 nights per weekend. The visor is cute and also provides reasonable protection for the entrance door, but it will not keep the area dry during heavy downpours. In our experience, the awning is most useful of the 3 T@B extensions: it is fairly easy to put on (just a bit more involved than the visor), yet it provides reliable rain protection from 3 sides. We sit under the awning when it rains, and we set up an outdoor kitchen under the awning when we are staying longer in one place (4+ days). Tent is most protective of the 3 items, but it takes most work to set up - hence we reserve it for use some locales (eg where insect protection is key) since most of our camping occurs as weekend trips.

2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    I'm considering something like this for 280. 
    Dimensions look about right to connect to keder rail around door. Nothing fancy but looks practical for my needs.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had the tent when I bought my T@b but sold it when I raised the axle. I planned on replacing it with the outback model, right away, and delayed, because I am not sure I will use it as I thought. I have postponed for another season until I figure out a few more things. I won't he Bison XL and find it very useful.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yep...saw this one for as cheap as 149 and the dimensions seem close enough

• Options
    As for attaching to your T@B there are many DIY options...
    All of these seem much lighter also.
    Im sure the shelters from t@b are high quality but the options are limited and they seem kinda bulky for my needs.