Options

Solar Panel Damage

So this happened while putting away our 2021 TAB 320 while putting into winter storage. Have contacted our dealer, but still waiting for an answer.  Will the solar panel still function or does it need to be replaced?  

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    I guess I'd just test it and find (though that is probably hard to do immediately if you're in storage).

Assuming the panel still works--and I'm guessing it will--the occlusion caused by the damage might reduce efficiency a little, but it's a pretty small area. A bigger concern could be water working it's way under the damaged protective coating and corroding the photovoltaics or their connections. Again, just guessing here. I'd probably let it be unless and until it stopped working properly. YMMV. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    GabyDouxGabyDoux Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Scott….kinda guessed that may be the case.  Since storage is at home, it will be easy enough to get it back out.  Water was also my main concern!  It was an unfortunate accident, but stuff happens.  Live and learn!
  • Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

I agree with Scott, by the picture there looks to be little to no damage to the panel, just the protective coating. I would cutoff as much of the pealed up coating as you can, mask off the damaged area and spray it with automotive clearcoat.

• Options
    GabyDouxGabyDoux Member Posts: 6