BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited February 2019
    I’ve no experience with that one, but look into an ultimate jack as an alternate. You can pick one up at your local TSC.  It *should* be a drop in replacement - at least it nearly was on our T@B. 
    Easily removable and also drops down so you have less jacking to do. I can snap a pict of it installed on our T@B if you are interested. 
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    edited March 2019
    @targ, so you can completely remove the post for towing and insert it to use it to jack up and disconnect the trailer from the TV? When you say it nearly was a drop in what did you have to modify?

Thanks
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @BigGrover, yes, with one or two caveats, the post is completely removable.  The post slides through a collar so if you have a foot or dolly wheel attached, that has to come off to be able to remove the post.  Also, there is a black plastic insert that keeps the post from spinning as you raise and lower it.  That has to be removed as well if you want to pull the post completely out.
    However, unless you have something like a Jeep with a swinging tailgate, there is probably no reason to actually pull the tube all the way out.  On our T@B, if I pull the tube up such that it is at its highest position, the footplate is flush with the bottom of the T@B's frame, so there is no dragging danger.  But, since I do have a swinging tailgate, I sometimes pull it all the way out so I can open the tailgate without unhooking.
    As for it being a drop in replacement, I think it *should* have been, but, as I mentioned over in this post (https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/109482#Comment_109482), our T@B's jack pass-thru holes were not perfectly concentric so I had to do a little file work on one of them.  And the Ultimate Jack's mount plate is slightly larger than the OEM plate so it interfered with the T@B's welded on reinforcement plate which caused me to have to put washers under two of the holes to get it level.
    Follow the link to etrailer in the post above and you'll see some good picts of the jack.  When I get home tonight, I'll try to snap a couple picts of our installation for you.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

• Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    @Targ, thanks much!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @BigGrover, ok, here are a few picts...
    First with the jack down:

Now with jack up:
    Note that the foot plate is nearly flush with the frame.  I put it there just so you can see it, but I can actually draw it up even further so it woudn't be visible from this angle.

And a closeup showing the interference and washers I mentioned:

In the first and last ones, you can see the big hole where that plastic insert I mentioned has been removed.  I have no need for it so I just leave it out all the time.  The collar that the tube slides through is roughly 2.5" high so if you have a swinging tailgate (Jeep) then you may or may not be able to clear the collar depending on your specific setup (tire size, draw bar length, etc).  Mine won't clear unless I jackknife the trailer just a bit.  But with the OEM jack, the only option for opening the tailgate was to unhook from the T@B.

I didn't get a pic with the tube removed, but it should be fairly obvious how it works.  Remove the footplate, pull the pin, and just pull the tube out.  Easy peasy.

I really like the ultimate jack.  Top wind is a huge plus.  Being able to slide it down make it simple to clear a truck tailgate and has an added bonus of reducing the total number of winds it takes to jack up.  Being able to slide it up to get the footplate flush or near flush with the frame is a bonus.  And of course, being able to remove the tube completely so I can open my tailgate without unhooking is a huge huge bonus.

O, one last thing, you started this thread asking about a 400, but it's probably obvious from the picts that this is on a T@B 320, so it may or may not be applicable.  I hope I haven't gotten your hopes up and mislead you.  If I did, my apologies.

• Options
    sheramsheram Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this write-up.  Saved me hours of looking what to buy and how to install. 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited November 2021
    In have the ultimate jack also and I love it. (On a 400) I too had to hollow out the lower hole a little bit and I also used washers underneath to bring it level with the plate bolted on the trailer. 

I tried the jack-e-up years ago and it allowed too much play in the leg of the jack so it sat at a slant and I didn't like that so I didn't keep it on. 
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    We also have the Ultimate Jack on a 400.  The design is not the best and requires annual (at least) servicing in our climate:  Installed ours in March, and by October the top thrust bearing was a mess of rust and the handle was hard to turn.  Servicing is easy:  Remove the bolt that goes through the handle, and then the 2 halves separate to give access for cleaning/greasing the screw and thrust bearing.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA