Options

Poor Mans LED Light Dimmer

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
I like the brightness of the T@B lights if I working on something where I need that but I've found them way to bright for my taste when I'm kicked back relaxing, reading, editing photos, etc. So, I needed to dim them down but still retain the brightness when needed and I didn't want to rewire or replace anything. And since they're LEDs, they don't give off any heat (don't try this with regular light bulbs). I started experimenting here's what I came up with...

Round plastic discs cut from milk cartons - White, Frosted, Pebbled - They each dim to a different degree.
You just unscrew the small globes, place the disc on top and screw it back in.
When I was experimenting I cut a disc out of a plastic container that had yellow/red printing on it and it gave the light a nice warm feel of a traditional bulb - I've never cared for the blueness of LED - Gave the T@B a warm cabin feel. So I cut a disc out of some yellow photographers gel I had but it's a little to yellow, need something a little weaker so am on the lookout for that yet but it all works. And it's easy and cheap to do.
Want bright light, leave them out. Want dimming, put them in. Easy, Smeezy.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you. When I changed my bulbs to LED, I went with a less bright one. If I need a bright light, I have a great battery operated LED light. Your suggestion keeps the bright option available. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Just don't cut them too big as they get stuck up in there - Easy to get out with a toothpic but if you get the size right it's a breeze to change. Am looking for one more density to dim them down one more notch.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2015
    That's awesome!   What would be the diameter of the lens covers you cut to size?    If you could cut some clear pieces of Plexiglas to size and spray them with a plastic paint or something along the lines of an iridescent color that would be something that would work and offer up some variations for the LED lights.  I've converted my home lights to LED and even retrofitted my kitchen light fixture to an LED light by taking an LED fixture apart I bought at Home Depot.  I like the coolness and lack of heat that the LED's attain.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    bransonsmombransonsmom Member Posts: 1
    Brilliant idea...I love dimmers in my house, but this is a great option for the T@B! Thanks for the idea!!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Mike - I'm sure if I get by some type of hobby store they'll have some kind of dye or translucent paint or colored celophane That will work. - I cut mine 1 1/2 but they're just a hair big. I need to trim them down to 1 3/8 I think.
    BransonsMom - Couldn't think of any other "easy" way to do it.

• Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    I use a motion solar light inside rather than the bright little lights, my kindle is backlit so I don't need real bright to read by. The solar saves on my battery and I velcrow-ed it above the valance by the door. I LOVE solar lights. I use an led string to outline my trailer and some hang on my pop up. There is a really great solar light called luminAid  ( luminaid.com )  that is amazing. Very bright, so bright you could read a newspaper by it hanging over head. It is water proof and folds up to fit in a small pocket. Invented by two high school girls, now college age to help 3rd world women avoid being attacked in the fields (toilet) at night and to be able to do homework by in homes with no electricity. I have two, I keep one in the window to always be charged. Everyone wants one when they see it. Solar helps keep the boondocking battery power on just a little bit longer. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    I also have battery powered LEDs mounted to the ends of the side shelves if I want real low light :-)
  • Options
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    There's another health issue with bright LEDs. I wear special eyeglasses that pull out blue light to reduce my risk of seizures. The new car lights that have that heavy blue LED lighting in them are painful and can induce a migraine in me which in turn can cause a seizure. The eyeglasses don't mess with natural colors in the environment and the lenses were created for people who stare at computer screens all day to reduce eye strain. They've been a godsend for me.

I have little clip-on LED lights called Mighty Brights that work on batteries that are used for low level lighting on music stands. Easy to position the lights (they flexible necks) so they aren't directly overhead or pointed at my face. They can be dimmed easily by coloring the plastic lens over the LED, but they aren't overly harsh to begin with.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    Well this is very interesting. It's surprising that the AMA has taken a stand on it. It seems it often takes forever for these studies to get to the point of any mainstream 'medical opinion'.

It says to me that there must be something pretty serious about the effects of these new high-tech artificial lights. I had read, maybe two years ago, that the blue LEDS have been found to cause permanent eye damage in some situations.

I wonder how long before those obnoxious blue headlights are taken off the road. I've heard rumors that they aren't legal, but it's seldom enforced. Maybe more publicity, and letters to the editor or local officials.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    The bright white of the two back lights in the T@B bugged me - both brightness and color.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I like your solution PXL.

I did a similar thing, just to cut the glare and to direct the light where I point the lamp.

My phone has an app that measures color temp and lux. I'd be interested to see how inserting paper as a 'shade' like that changes the actual color temp.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
  • Options
    KYkampersKYkampers Member Posts: 19
    PXLated and all: I have tried to remove the globes on the sconces on my 2016 Max S and though they look just like yours do in the pictures above, I cannot seem to unscrew them. I am afraid if I twist any harder I will break something. Has anyone else had this problem? 
  • Options
    On mine, there a little bit of a catch when you try to twist them counter clockwise. Once you clear that they unscrew easily. I presume that's there to make sure they don't twist out while bouncing down the road.
  • Options
    markhanksmarkhanks Member Posts: 12
    I tried to remove the globes on my reading light sconces as well (2021 T@b CS-S) and went the extra mile and kept turning.  Well, they are definitely not threaded and are setting up with glue as I write this.  I did however find a solution for the brightness (to me) of the LED accent lights behind the wood valance and the side reading lights.  I purchased an adhesive film from a Co I found on Amazon called LightDims.  For about $7 you get three 9x3.5" sheets of film in either warm or just dimming material grades.  I cut them (dimming variety) into 3/4" strips for the LED light bars and then round circles for the reading lights.  Once applied there was a big difference.  I like it.  Images attached.  The shot of the install shows the film installed on the left 1/2 and the untreated on the right.  
    It was difficult to get the film on the LED bulbs in the reading lights, but with a small rubber spatula I was able to push the film around the sides of the bulb.  Just don't look inside at the bulb, it's a little wrinkled, but un-noticeable from the outside.  
    2021 T@b CS-S
    2021 Chevy Colorado
    Rocky Mt's, Coast of ME