Options

Why am I getting Error Code 10 w/my Norcold fridge?

Just bought a 2021 Tab 400. With it hooked up to 120v shore power from house with a 30 to 15amp converter, i can not set my Norcold 3 way to battery or 110 volt. I can only set it to gas. In the previous two settings it flashes and shows an error code. When chosing 120, i get error code 10…”the refrigerator does not work on 120V, check if 120V AC is available.”  Isnt all 120v AC? What am I missing?  The microwave is unresponsive. Is that a clue? Didnt test it when we bought the 400.
Karen and Chris
2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
Dallas, Texas
“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,008
    To operate on battery make sure you've turned on the auxillary toggle switch that is just above and the the left of the fridge.  It is a safety switch to make sure you don't accidentally turn it on 12v and kill your battery.  I believe error code 10 means it is not getting 120v power.  If you're sure your shore power cord is connected properly and power is getting into the trailer, the light on the plug illuminated, I'd check the breakers in the converter box first.  Especially if your microwave is not working either.  Also check the other outlets to see if they have power.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    CruiserCamperChris said:
    . . . hooked up to 120v shore power from house with a 30 to 15amp converter,
    . . . choosing 120, i get error code 10…
         ”the refrigerator does not work on 120V, check if 120V AC is available.” 

. . . microwave is unresponsive.
    Yes the microwave also being unresponsive is an important item.
    Most likely you do not have 110/120 VAC Shore Power on-in-the-trailer.

Two likely sources of the problem:
    1)   House circuit breaker you have trailer plugged into has tripped.
          Check that outlet is on (use any household plug-in item).  Your TaB power cable might have
          LED's at both ends . . . if they light then the outlet is on.

2)   Your TaB Power Center Circuit Breaker or Breakers are off.
           Look for the Box Plastic Door Panel near the floor inside the TaB (I do not know exact 400 location)
           Pop the Access Door open.
           There will be a group of 120VAC breakers on the upper left and a row of 12VDC fuses on the right.
           Confirm all the 120VAC Breakers are in the ON position.
            If not sure, suggest you toggle each one off/on starting with the one on the far right and
            moving toward the left . . . the left most Breaker is the Main 30Amp circuit connected to the house.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2022
    The WaCo power center is on the bottom front of the galley cabinets opposite the three way fridge.  Sounds like the OP is trying to use a 15 amp shore power connection, you need to have at least a 20-amp circuit to fully power the TaB 400.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    Denny16 said:
    The WaCo power center is on the bottom front of the galley cabinets opposite the three way fridge.  Sounds like the OP is trying to use a 15 amp shore power connection, you need to have at least a 20-amp circuit to power the TaB 400.
    cheers
    It's certainly possible to use a 15A outlet as long as one is selective about what to turn on. The Alde system, Microwave and AC unit are the big power hogs. With those off the rest of the trailer can easily be powered from a 15A outlet. 

• Options
    Thank. Ive ordered a 20amp converter. The dealer led me to believe i needed a 15 amp and they are 250 miles away.
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    @CruiserCamperChris ;  Believe you have missed the point of the warning  @Denny16 and @Grumpy_G made regarding 15A & 20A outlets.

It is not an issue with your 30A trailer cable to House Outlet convertor style/rating.

It is, what is your House Circuit Breaker rating for the outlet you plug the trailer into.  Your House breaker will be 15A or 20A . . . . while the House Outlet style will 99% of the time be a standard 15A plug style.  Here is the difference in the Outlet Types, note the 20A will also accept a 15A style plug.

When the trailer is plugged into your House Outlet you will only have 15A or 20A of power available while if everything in the trailer is turned on the trailer will be demanding > 20A power so circuit breakers will trip.  Both the trailer and/or house breakers may trip.

So when on House Outlet power we all need to manage which trailer items are turned on.  In most cases the Fridge and Alde on power level 1 can be on at the same time on a 20A House circuit - - - but nothing else.

Have you confirmed the trailer is getting power from your house before anything is turned on?
  • Options
    CruiserCamperChrisCruiserCamperChris Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2022
    @MuttonChops yes, i suppose i did miss their points. Yes, i am getting power to my T@B camper using the 30 to 15 amp converter. The lights work. The Television Works. The fridge only works off battery or gas. The microwave is unresponsive. No circuit breakers are tripped. Everything worked at the PPL consignment dealer when it was on 30amp. So, you and @Denny16 and @Grumpy_G are saying that i need to plug my camper into a 20 amp plug. I guess i dont have one. So i have to call an electrician out to install one? I thought i was going to be able to visit friends and relatives when we travel around the USA and set up camp in their driveways for a couple of nights and turn on the microwave and AC…. But they wont have 20 amp plugs either. How very disappointing! 
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
  • Options
    @CruiserCamperChris ; So sorry to hear you remain a bit confused and stressed out.  Knowing everything worked fine at the dealership is good.  Now it will just take time to try different things to isolate why you are having issues at home.

If it were my trailer I would do the following:

1)  Disconnect the battery.  Use the Battery Cut-Off switch to do so.

2)  Trip all the trailer AC Breakers to the off position.

3 )  Confirm all power is off - - -  try turning on the porch light or cabin lights.
          Nothing should work.  If the lights come on the battery is still connected.

4)   Now turn on the Main AC Breaker, far left marked 30A, and the one next to it on the right.
          Some trailers have the convertor connected to the Main Breaker, most have it connected
          to the breaker next to the main breaker.
          Try turning on the porch light or cabin lights again.
              If they work . . . the convertor is running from your House power.
                 If they do not work . . . you don't have power from the house in the trailer.

5)  If the cabin lights worked in step (4).
          Turn on the other trailer circuit breakers.
           Does the Air Conditioner or Microwave work now?
           If yes, turn them off again and try your Fridge . . . will it turn-on correctly?

What to try next will depend on the results of the above steps.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    Quick answer... hope I'm not repeating replies.....your tv and lights are 12 volt and will work if you don't have AC power. 
  • Options
    Your fridge and Microwave and AC should work when plugged into a 15amp outlet using the 15a converter.  Just don't try to use them all at once.  Have you confirmed the outlet you are plugged into at the house is working?  Is the green light on your 30amp cord illuminated?  This would confirm power is getting from the outlet into the trailer.  If power is getting to the trailer have you confirmed that the other 120v outlets in the trailer are working?  I would also try what MuttonChops suggested.  Try flipping all the breakers off and back on.  Maybe one is stuck? Also worth checking the 40amp breaker that is in the storage compartment outside the trailer.  You'll see it mounted on the back wall.  But if that was tripped I'm not sure if the 12v would work?  But worth a look see.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    @bergger @MuttonChops @TabbyShack @I am so embarrassed. When it was suggested I need to confirm my power source. I did. And I must of tripped breaker the outlet the T@B was supposed to be getting power from. Must have happened day before yesterday. My cord that goes into the T@B does not have a light on it. I swapped it our for another one that came with the camper and the light did not come on. So I knew that I needed to check my outlet. 

EVERYTHING works now!!!! the AC, the Microwave, and the Norcold allows me to choose  shore power now! I have been BOONDOCKING all this time! That solar panel and the batteries really do work great, huh!!!! LOL

Thank you all for helping me out. Sorry I didn't get to the bottom of this without having to bother all of you, because this is just plain common sense stuff. I guess I've been camping in a TENT to long!!! LOL
    Karen and Chris
    Dallas, Texas
  • Options

EVERYTHING works now!!!!  . . .

Excellent, well done.
    We all have had to deal with the Tent to Trailer learning curve. :)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Grand, you got it sorted.  If using a 15amp service, don’t try using the microwave and AC at the same time, or you might trip the breaker again.  The CoolCat in startup can use close to 15 amps, then drops to less, but still easy to overload a single 15amp circuit the TaB is plugged into.  The Alde in 2KW mode needs 16-17 amps, so if using a 15amp power source, keep the Alde on 1KW mode, or just leave it on propane, if the weather is cold.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Yay!  Glad it all works now.  No need to be embarrassed.  I spent 10 minutes looking for my flashlight the other day when working in my trailer and it was in my pocket the whole time! 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    No worries!!! My first trip out in my 400 I tripped the breaker on the campground post and I called my dealer all in a panic that my AC was broken "because my TV and lights were working" Sound familiar? WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!!! So sbsolutly do not feel embarrassed!! 

Sure, it seems like all common sense stuff after is resolved but it's definitely not that when you are in the moment surrounded by so many new things trying to absorb a crazy amount of new stuff!! 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    @CruiserCamperChris I said this a few days ago:  we all learn from the questions.  Some new owner with the same error message will find this thread, realize the solution is the same, and fix the issue.
    And, I learned about how to "decode" 15 and 20 amp outlets.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi