Options

Golf Cart Battery Set Up

2»

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited July 2015
    Revised diagram: (Deleted to avoid confusion)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    edited July 2015
    Jenn not there yet.  The batter connections that are tied together to join the batteries in series do NOT have anything else connected to them.  Think of that connection as the 6 volt or mid point of one large battery.  Only the positive + terminal and the negative - terminal that are unused when only the two batteries are joined have 12 volts.  Where you have your Zamp wires connected are those 12 v connections.  Anything else will only be 6 volts.  So your fuse/switch wires leading to the trailer  attach to the same place as the Zamp.

Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    look close you will see the black wire tucked in that ties the batteries together.  the red + and white - from the trailer and Zamp plug are joined at the 12 volt terminals that remain.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Thanks, @normfun. I tried marking up your photo this time.

(Deleted to avoid confusion)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Jenn

One way to think of it is the middle connections do not exist, for all intensive purposes they are located "inside" your new 12v battery.
  • Options
    Jenn. You're almost there. You have the battery tie together correct. Nothing else goes to those terminals. You should have two white wires going to the negative terminal 1 zamp, 1 trailer. The positive terminal also needs 2 wires 1 from the zamp plug and the other from the trailer. Your fuse and switch go INLINE on the wire from the trailer to the positive. Both the switch and the fuse act to cut or open this one positive wire going from the positive battery terminal to the trailer. 

• Options
    Thank you, @normfun! I get  it, now!

Better to work these things out "on paper" than fry something (or someone.) :)

Went shopping for the angle and hardware tonight. Also, managed to pick up another 30 watt Goal Zero panel off of CL for a fraction of the normal cost, so now I have a little more respectable 120 watts of solar to help keep things charged.

• Options
    Sounds good Jenn!  Be patient and go slow. It's only 12volts BUT there is a lot of current in those batteries!  Be careful. 

• Options
    normfun said:
    Sounds good Jenn!  Be patient and go slow. It's only 12volts BUT there is a lot of current in those batteries!  Be careful. 
    I went out and put labels on all of the wires today to help minimize the potential for confusion.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited July 2015
    I stole PX's solution. Still have the factory group 24 flooded battery for now (80 amp hours), 100W of permanently installed, yet expandable solar (semiflexible panel from Renolgy) controlled by a PWD charger with positive lines fused before and after the controller to the battery and panel; and then and have the Hondai (the "companion) as backup. It has the 30 amp plug so I don't have to use an adaptor. 

In the future, I'll most likely replace the group 24 battery. For now, it's still doing well (it's a flooded lead acid type, so I have to check the diH2O level periodically - water should just cover the plates).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    I stole PX's solution. Still have the factory group 24 flooded battery for now (80 amp hours), 100W of permanently installed, yet expandable solar (semiflexible panel from Renolgy) controlled by a PWD charger with positive lines fused before and after the controller to the battery and panel; and then and have the Hondai (the "companion) as backup. It has the 30 amp plug so I don't have to use an adaptor. 

In the future, I'll most likely replace the group 24 battery. For now, it's still doing well (it's a flooded lead acid type, so I have to check the diH2O level periodically - water should just cover the plates).
    Have you used the Honda yet?  I just returned my companion generator and swapped It for the regular Honda one because the companion is to be used in conjunction with a regular generator, not a stand alone.  You lose features with the companion and the 30amp plug is not delivering 30 Amps.

Apparently this is a common mistake, talk to PX, he did the same or almost did, I can't remember.  

• Options
    Today, I got the angle cut, filed, and gave it the old Rustoleum treatment.

• Options
    Tada! Done! @normfun thanks for your guidance. A friend helped me get the angle and box installed and then I followed @normfun 's directions. The only hiccup I had was I blew the 30amp fuse in the converter. It's the first blown fuse I have had, so no complaints, here. As you can see, I was racing the fading daylight. I need to get bolts for the switch when I get back.

Now, instead of trying it out, it's off on a business trip tomorrow. Vacation can't come fast enough.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Oooooo - nice job.
    Any idea of what that adds to the tongue weight?
  • Options
    Each battery weighs 62lbs and the box is about 7lbs. I am not sure what the current battery weighs, so you'd have to subtract that. I think you'd also have to account for them being a bit further on the tongue.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Looks great, it is on my list of modifications.  

I must say, in this high tech world we exist in it was refreshing to see a photo of a pencil on paper drawing of their project.  I loved that part. 

Well done
  • Options
    Rad said:
    Ratkity said:

Have you used the Honda yet?  I just returned my companion generator and swapped It for the regular Honda one because the companion is to be used in conjunction with a regular generator, not a stand alone.  You lose features with the companion and the 30amp plug is not delivering 30 Amps.

Apparently this is a common mistake, talk to PX, he did the same or almost did, I can't remember.  

The 2000ia companion runs exactly like its sister. No, you don't get 30amps from the 30amp plug. It just is more convenient to have the 30amp outlet than to have to use an adaptor on my cord for the other Honda. You can still buy the other gen and run them in tandem. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Rad said:
    Ratkity said:

The 2000ia companion runs exactly like its sister. No, you don't get 30amps from the 30amp plug. It just is more convenient to have the 30amp outlet than to have to use an adaptor on my cord for the other Honda. You can still buy the other gen and run them in tandem. 
    True, it does run the same.  For me, I did not want to lose the ability to use the Honda plug in battery charger.  The Companion lacks that plug in.  

I must say, Honda knows how to build a motor, they sure are nice.  
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Rad said:
    True, it does run the same.  For me, I did not want to lose the ability to use the Honda plug in battery charger.  The Companion lacks that plug in.  

I must say, Honda knows how to build a motor, they sure are nice.  
    I have a separate , high end battery charger that doesn't have the "consumer safety" voltage limited on it like most big box stores sell (13.8V bulk charge - kind of like a governor for a vehicle - consumer safety feature,ugh!) and my cool new battery charger also has an "equalize" feature that can desulfinite plates and lengthen battery life. The charger runs fine off the generator. Just gotta remember to check the diH2O after equalization. When I eventually kill this battery after many years of life, I'm investing in 2x 6V for more amp hours. At least that's the plan. 

And yes, I ran that heck out of that generator on eco for almost 8 hours (no AC running). Worked flawlessly and I couldn't be more pleased with the low sound/noise feature. I also have a local Honda generator dealer that will fix anything needed, so I feel happy that there is a service place just for Honda gennys around the corner.
  • Options
    Looks good! Glad I could help. 

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Very nice!  I love my Trojan T-105s.  Trojans are the gold standard for longevity from what I've read.  I neglected mine for two years and they are cruising along.  I topped off the cells with distilled water this week, and they were still nearly full.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Just took a couple of pics of my setup.  The coiled cable on the LP tank is my 10 gauge extension cord for the ARB in my tow vehicle.  The little black box on the lid is my solar charge controller.  The upside of positioning the batteries in the LP cover is that it has less impact on tongue weight.  Of course, I don't need a second propane tank because I have the 12v Norcold fridge instead of the 3-way.

Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Lisa33 said:
    Just took a couple of pics of my setup.  The coiled cable on the LP tank is my 10 gauge extension cord for the ARB in my tow vehicle.  The little black box on the lid is my solar charge controller.  The upside of positioning the batteries in the LP cover is that it has less impact on tongue weight.  Of course, I don't need a second propane tank because I have the 12v Norcold fridge instead of the 3-way.

Awesome set-up! I will likely do something more permanent for solar once I finalize my solar set-up, too.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ratkity - I've got pretty much the same setup as you and everything fits just fine. I thought the PVC pipe was a nice feature, fits the angle end of my Rhino, acts as a perch, holds it in place. The length of the PVC could be shorter. 
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I didn't want added tongue weight so I switched to AGM over the wheel wells to lighten the tong weight.  I think I dropped it by about 80 pounds (since I also moved the battery in the propane cover).  Permanently installed two panels and keep a third one for augmenting to 200 watts solar.  Plugs in at the back of the T@B when I want additional solar.  Plenty of room left in the propane area so I added a plastic box to hold all the supplies to level the TAB and miscellaneous locking equipment.
  • Options
    I believe the T@da and DM T@bs have slightly larger propane covers. I think it might be do-able, but tougher to get 2 GC batteries in the LG propane box.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I upgraded to the diamond plate LG box last week.  It's wider and taller, according to Marvin, so I'm hoping I can get the two batteries in it.  I'll need to visit a welder to get the propane tank repositioned.  The support ring is welded to the bottom of the tank. I'll be sure to have two battery boxes with me when I go there.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”