Which finish sealer does nuCamp use on their cabinet doors?

I am planning to add a birch cabinet door where the microwave was in our 2022 CS-S.  I reached out to nuCamp asking them if they applied any oil, wax, or sealer to finish the wood.  They responded that they have a 2-step process where they apply clear finish, one is called a sealer and the other we call the top coat.  Does anyone know which specific products they use?  I'd like everything to match.
2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
SW Ohio

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2022
    It it seems, nüCamp was using pre-finished Baltic Birch panels, when I inquired before the pandemic.  I was not able to work out what the finish actually was, but Deft and amber shellac give a similar color to the Birch plywood in our late 2018 TaB400.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited April 2022
    @Buckster there are a couple of layers to your question.

Firstly, the two-step process starts with a sanding sealer. It has more solids in it to fill any of the 'micro pockets' in the wood grain. This is then sanded with a fine grit paper and gives a smooth finish to the surface. The topcoat doesn't have as many solids in it and is more elastic, providing a more resilient cover coat.

Second is the type of material to use. Most solvent-based finishes will provide the slight yellowing you need to match the interior. Water based finishes dry crystal clear and won't give you the color match you're looking for. Shellac and lacquer-based finishes are the quickest drying, Polyurethanes will provide better moisture and heat resistance.

In your case, the kitchen area of a CSS, potentially being exposed to the elements, I'd go with a polyurethane. Minwax semigloss is an example that's readily available at most big box hardware stores in either a spray or brush on version. It is what I used when adding woodwork in my T@B interior and was a good match. You can get by without the sanding sealer on a closed grain wood like birch, it will just take an additional layer of the topcoat (3 total) to replace the effect of the solids from a sanding sealer.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    Thank you both for responding. @CrabTab I've been leaning toward polyurethane exactly for the reason you mentioned. Did you lightly sand between topcoats?  Also, I don't notice any 'gloss' in the topcoat on the birch in our T@B.  Perhaps the semigloss dries that way. I was planning to go with a satin.  The differences may be unnoticeable.
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited April 2022
    @Buckster, the finish is filling the pores in the grain on the initial coats. There'll also be some wood fibers that stick up and will need to be knocked down. They get sanded very lightly (i.e. 220 grit). Three coats minimum, more coats make a deeper and smoother finish. 

The semigloss has a very dull sheen and was a good match for the woodwork in my 2019 T@B. Look at the samples at the display in the store. We won't pick up our new 2022 until next week, so I can't yet give you a definitive answer on the current finish. B) 

Edit: The sanding sealer will take fewer total coats because it is thicker, but you have to buy two cans of product (more cost).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    If unable to get an exact match I'd look at making it completely different.  Sort of a statement piece.  Either a different type of wood, color or maybe some type of cool design carved into it or painted on it.  I kind of wish they had continued making the upper cabinets like they used to with the white swoosh type design.  I always liked that. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    Quick follow-up. . . I heard back from nüCamp today. They sent me a picture of the product they use for the topcoat.

2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited May 2022
    So, they do use a topcoat. That product shown, is very close to a lacquer finish known as Deft.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.