Options

Unsure why CO alarm is going off

BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
I came home from work to find the CO alarm going off in our camper.  According to the booklet, the red light and beeps indicate that it had detected propane.  The camper was locked up and closed off. The valve on propane tank is securely closed.  I opened the door and windows, turned on the fan and it took at least 25 minutes before the alarm subsided.  It's a brand new T@B so I know the alarm unit isn't anywhere near the end of life.  Any ideas on what may have set off the alarm?  I'm not aware of any additional propane sources.
2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
SW Ohio

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    This may not be the answer to your problem, but I once rented a brand new Class C motorhome (I was the second renter).  At 2:00 am, the CO detector went off.  I immediately opened all the windows and then reset the alarm.  Shut the windows and went back to bed.  Alarm went off again 1/2 hour later.  Without boring you to death, it turned out to be a faulty CO detector (even though it was brand new camper).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Brand new Tab = possible outgassing. Outgassed chemicals may set the alarm off.

As Tabaz noted, could also be a faulty alarm. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Low battery status will also set the alarm off.  What is the battery state of charge?  (Outgassing is probably the cause!)
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    VictoriaP said:
    Brand new Tab = possible outgassing. Outgassed chemicals may set the alarm off.
    Outgassing? Do you mean from the cushions and other items within the camper?  We've had the camper since March but this is the first hot day (mid 80's) we've had since bringing it home. Perhaps the heat build up inside increased the outgassing?

@pthomas745: The camper is plugged into an outlet so the battery is fully charged.
    2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @Buckster Yes, all the materials, glues, etc. are subject to outgassing, as with a new car or new carpet. And yes, heat will absolutely exacerbate that. Leave a window or two cracked.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited May 2022
    @Buckster
    My 2021 T@B 400 had a bad CO detector from the factory - which would go off randomly at least weekly, usually more like twice a day.
    Replaced it under warranty and it has never false alarmed again...So my vote is you have a bad CO detector and should replace it for your own sanity. Nothing is less restful than that alarm waking you up when it shouldn't!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller