Options

Maxxair MaxxFan Upgrade

Just replaced my previous Fantastic fan with a new MAXXAIR 7500k MaxxFann. We haven’t had time to fully test it out but with my brief experience with it I can say it is a definite upgrade. This is the fan that should be installed as factory equipment. It is considerably quieter across the board. Love the fact that at startup it defaults to 50%. And the sleek look just fits our Tab 320s

Comments

• Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2022
    From the photo is looks like it extends beyond the footprint of the original fantastic fan.  Is that the case?  How difficult was removal of the original caulking/sealant?
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 312
    Gherzig said:
    From the photo is looks like it extends beyond the footprint of the original fantastic fan.  Is that the case?  How difficult was removal of the original caulking/sealant?
    Removal of the adhesive and sealant was probably the most time consuming. In all it probably took about 2 hours to do the swap. 
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @Gherzig The framing of both fans is the same, using the same cutout through the trailer roof. The 4-5” extension you see behind the fan frame (left side of image) is part of the MaxxFan’s built in weatherproof cover, which it allows it to be open during rain, but collapses down as shown when the vent is closed. This makes it far more compact than the traditional fan + tall vent cover.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,211
    I did this upgrade last summer and it’s my favorite upgrade yet. It really should be the OEM fan Nucamp uses. The fantastic fan was horrible and cheap. It’s a night and day difference and being able to leave it open during rainstorms means the camper can air out in storage on our rv pad and we never worry about rain getting in. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We did this upgrade on our 2018 T@B 400, and it's great! So much better at conserving battery power when boondocking, and quiet! We also swapped our broken bathroom fan for the fantastic fan that we removed, so win-win. 
  • Options
    @elbolillo

I did a write up of my experience installing the fan:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14265/maxxfan-deluxe-7500k-install-tips-tricks#latest

What did help (and I don't think I mentioned this in the write up) was the use of a heat gun to remove the dicor sealant. Dicor is great in that it doesn't really "cure" in the sense that silicone does. It remains pliable so heat makes it soft again and using a plastic razor blade really helps aide in removal.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    NHCraigNHCraig Member Posts: 26
    Replaced mine this spring and am also very happy with it.  Manyman297's write-up was incredibly helpful, highly recommend reading it thoroughly to anyone doing the mod. Only things I'd add are:

Yes, getting the old fan out is a bit tedious at first. Heat gun or score and peel the dicor, then run a small putty knife under one side of the flange. Once you get one side going, it pops up pretty easily.

The mounting flange slides around easily on the top when you're marking the holes to drill. If I were doing it again, I'd drill two opposite corner screws to temporarily secure it, then use that as a template for the other holes.

Definitely use clamps to keep the roof from separating, and as Manyman says, the flange screws are easy to break or strip.  Have some extras on hand, they're just #8 pan headed sheet metal screws, I believe.

It was worth waiting overnight to let the butyl caulk settle out and re-tighten the flange screws.  Most of the work is up till then, putting the fan in and finishing was pretty quick.  Use the butt connectors he recommends, they definitely are easier to fit in the opening.
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 312
    edited June 2022
    @elbolillo

I did a write up of my experience installing the fan:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14265/maxxfan-deluxe-7500k-install-tips-tricks#latest

What did help (and I don't think I mentioned this in the write up) was the use of a heat gun to remove the dicor sealant. Dicor is great in that it doesn't really "cure" in the sense that silicone does. It remains pliable so heat makes it soft again and using a plastic razor blade really helps aide in removal.
    Removing the Dicor was the easy part. The difficult part was the adhesive that was used to attach the fan to the aluminum. There were no screws used in attaching the fan to the roof. 
    edited June 2022
    @elbolillo

From what I remember the screws in the interior trim piece actually go up through the roof and screw into the exterior flange. So it’s not just being held on with adhesive. The screws are pulling the inner and outer components together and holding it all. 

Yeah, whatever that adhesive is was a bit hard to pull apart. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    It is posted in this thread that the MaxAir 7500 conserves power when boondocking.  In comparing the specs, my Fantastic Fan 1450 draws 3 amps and the MaxAir 7500 draws 5 amps.  No mention of what speeds these ratings represent.  Does anyone have real life comparison experience with both?
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,024
    The MaxAir uses less power.  Especially on low speeds.  I usually run mine 0n 10% or 20% with an a higher speed for short periods when I come back and the trailer is hot.  But it draws so little I'll crack a window and leave in on 10-20% often times when I go hiking.    These numbers are from a test completed by someone.  I've seen results from a few tests and they are all very close to this.  

SPEEDAMP
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Thank you.  Good information as the MaxAir 7500 specs simply show 5 amps.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY