Options

Beginner tips for using zamp suitcase solar?

My second-hand trailer (2018 320S Boondock) came to me with Zamp suitcase solar panels, which I have never used.

My sons are borrowing my trailer next weekend and are interested in taking the solar panels.  I know nothing about using the solar panels!!!  There is a plug in the front battery/propane box for connecting them to the battery.  Is that all they need to do?  Plug in the panels?  Will the battery charge if the switch is set to "disconnect" or do they need to leave it connected when charging?  They will be boondocking for about 3 days.

How susceptible to theft are the panels?  Should they be put away when they are away from the campsite?

THANKS!!!
Worried Mom
:#  
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,703
    The SAE port on the side of the trailer is connected directly to the battery.  The panels will charge the battery, no matter what the position of the battery switch is in.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 465
    Portable solar panels are very easy to take so I lock mine to the tongue with a steel cable. It won't keep anybody from getting it if they really want it (battery powered tools be darned) but it prevents a quick grab and run. 
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    Grumpy_G said:
    Portable solar panels are very easy to take so I lock mine to the tongue with a steel cable. It won't keep anybody from getting it if they really want it (battery powered tools be darned) but it prevents a quick grab and run. 
    Good idea.  I guess I should actually open up the case and look at how to secure them!  :D

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 465
    PNWtabber said:
    Good idea.  I guess I should actually open up the case and look at how to secure them!  :D
    The Zamp portable panels typically have fold out legs. The steel cable I use has loops at both ends so one end gets looped through the leg and the other end is locked to the tongue. 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    The panels absolutely need to be secured against theft if someone isn’t going to be at the campsite. Zamp branded panels are crazy expensive. To use, plug them in, secure to trailer, face them towards the sun. Depending on where they’re camping, the panels may also need to be secured against wind. That’s pretty much it, the point of going with a solar suitcase is it’s basically plug and play. 

If they’re camped in shade or under overcast skies, expect minimal solar production. If camping west of the Cascades, both this weekend and next look pretty lousy for solar, and they should plan to conserve battery usage if possible as they probably can’t count on replenishing much power via the panels. Three days boondocking should be fairly doable with the propane fridge though, even with no solar…TV/stereo and fan are the biggest power hogs on the older 320s like your and mine.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    @VictoriaP -- I expect they will take a cooler rather than depend on the fridge.  I don't expect they will use much of the powered accessories, except lights and fan.  They may not even need to charge, but older son expressed an interest in taking the solar panels, and, yes, they'll be east of the mountains.  

• Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I have a Zamp panel, too. I recommend that you test the panel before the trip to make sure that it's charging properly. Agree that the battery will charge  using the Zamp regardless of the position of the cut-off switch. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD