Options

How to prevent water in front tongue storage box?

subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
edited June 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
So every time it rains the water runs down the outside back of the aluminum tongue box in my 400 BD and it ends up getting in the box through the large opening for the propane valve.  I realize it is not perfect, but it would be nice to have a diverter on the outside rear wall of the box to keep it from running in.  Has anyone done a mod for that?
2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I have the same issue, my solution is to just open the lid after a rain, and let the inside of the tub dry.  Any water getting in, just drains out the back side.  I do not keep anything in the tub that would be hurt by getting wet.  The gear in the front of the tub does stay dry.  If not using the TaB, tilt the tongue up a bit to encourage any water to drain right out the back hole.

I thought about a water drip edge on the back over the hole, but not a lot,of room between the box and the trailer.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    I have no solution but can sympathize: the tub on my 320 also allows rainwater to get in the rear at the cutouts.
    The solution is probably what @Denny16 suggests with a drip edge, but it would require removing the box to get access. As a temporary fix, I've considered making a curtain out of heavy plastic that is s taped in place on the outside of the box and simply hangs down over the cutouts. Most of what's in the cargo box doesn't mind occasionally getting wet, so fixing this issue is pretty far down in my T@B job jar.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    Same issue here and it's been bothering me. The water drips on the electrical cutoff switch (I'm assuming it's waterproof?) and on the battery case a little. Not the end of the world but I would prefer if it stayed dry.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    While maybe an inconvenience, do NOT make the tub completely sealed, it needs a way to vent propane in case of a leak.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    I added an aluminum rear wall that fits fairly tight to the box floor and sides, then drilled four 1/2 in holes in the corners and front. So far it has been dry (since 2019). The holes provide some ventilation for any propane released or water ingress that I’m not aware of.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    RCB said:
    I added an aluminum rear wall that fits fairly tight to the box floor and sides, then drilled four 1/2 in holes in the corners and front. So far it has been dry (since 2019). The holes provide some ventilation for any propane released or water ingress that I’m not aware of.
    Could you share any pictures by any chance?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Wish I could find my source other than Amazon. On our previous T@G I installed a wide diamond plate box. For ventilation I drilled 2 inch holes, covered with fine screen and louvered plates. I would drill 2 holes close enough Horizontal to be covered by the louvered plates. I installed one in each back corner. I drilled a couple slot openings in the bottum and covered with the mesh. Never had leakage and had the needed ventilaion. Was thinking, one could do the same installing a back wall for the  stock funky box.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country