Options

Emergency brake question - 2021 Tab400

SnoblettSnoblett Member Posts: 99
I’m hoping someone has experience with the emergency brake cable that might have insight for me.  If not, I suppose I’ll find out tomorrow when I attempt to hitch up and leave my campsite.

Here’s what happened…without going into details of my blunders, I’ll start at the point yesterday afternoon where I realized I accidentally pulled out the emergency brake cable.  I was tired and hot and decided I was going to deal with it in the morning.  Then the day went by and I saw it laying where I set it, and I pulled out my Big Binder of all things Tab where I found the sheet informing me that the brake switch can melt if the brake is used as a “parking brake”

I plugged the cable back in.  I didn’t distinctly hear brakes release. Although, I have no idea if the brakes were engaged, either.

I am fearful on one or two possible problems:
(1) my switch melted because I didn’t know I had to put the pin back in immediately 
(2) my brakes are on and I don’t know it- although there is not significant drain on the battery.  If they are on im worried I won’t be able to pull out tomorrow.

please, I hope that someone will have insight that will assure me my fears are unfounded.

Thank you! 

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    edited July 2022
    If your battery switch was on, and the emergency brake pin was removed from the little box on the tongue:
    It used 6 amps (per hour) from your battery.  You have a big battery bank in your 400.  You don't say how long the pin was out of the emergency brake box, but multiply the number of hours by 6.  That is how many amps came out of your battery.
    If your battery switch was off, nothing happened.
    I don't know where you got the info about the emergency brake "melting".  The brakes would just be engaged.  The circuit might get a little warm, probably.  Now, if you are driving with the pin pulled, then definitely something might "melt".  ( I might be wrong about this!)
    It would be easy to test to see if the brakes were still engaged (with the pin in) by trying to move the trailer by hand before you tow.  Or, if you have the inclination, practice your tire changing procedure and jack up a wheel and give it a spin. 
    You could also have a look at your Victron and see if there is a random 6 amp draw on your battery, indicating the emergency brake is still engaged.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thank you! This does help a little bit.  I suspect the brake was not engaged.  It was unplugged for about 24 hours. That would have seriously drained my battery.  I’m boondocking and I would have noticed it, for sure.

As for the melting, the manufacturer documentation for installation mentioned it.  I am pretty sure it was referring to the switch itself, not the brakes.

So now that I’m sure that the brakes were not on all this time, I’m left to question if my switch works because I’m pretty sure that the brake is supposed to be engaged as long as the pin is out.  

I will test it in my driveway when I get home tomorrow.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    Thanks for the note about the melting.  If you have a link for the installation document, that would be interesting, too. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    here is the manufacturer sheet. I highlighted the part about melting
  • Options
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    “So now that I’m sure that the brakes were not on all this time, I’m left to question if my switch works because I’m pretty sure that the brake is supposed to be engaged as long as the pin is out.”

@Snoblett - the breakaway brakes require battery power - that is why it is so essential to tow with the battery switch on.  If the battery switch was off while the pin was pulled, the breaks would not have engaged without power.  So, you really did not test the breakaway brakes.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    I might be confused as to what the “battery switch” is.  Hmmmm

I thought the battery switch is the knob in my outdoor storage that disabled the battery.  Is it something else?

• Options
    Ok, I found the other thread where the battery switch and emergency brakes are discussed. Yes, my battery switch in my outdoor storage was on when the cord was pulled.

This leads me to believe that the brake-switch is not working.  I will definitely test in my driveway when I get home.  Hubby has been wanting to try the new jack anyway. 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Be aware that if the switch is NOT working the brakes will be in one of two states:  either the switch has failed "open" or it has failed "closed."  If it has failed open you will not have any emergency brakes should the trailer become disconnected--regardless if the brake pin is inserted or not.  If it has failed closed the brakes will be on as long as the battery switch is on.  In the latter case you might not be able to properly insert the brake pin into the switch anyway so that might be a clue.
    Before you leave camp tomorrow you can check to see if the brakes are locked on.  Hitch up as usual and start to tow slowly.  If the brakes are on you will know within a very few feet.  If you are on pavement and have a powerful enough tow vehicle you may scrub some rubber.  If you are on dirt or gravel you will be able to see the drag marks.
    The good news is that those switches are readily available at almost any trailer (RV or other kind) dealer.  Other than needing to be wired into the circuit and screwed to the frame it is easy to install.  The trailer place might even be willing to do it for you.
  • Options
    Thank you! It turns out my emergency brake was not activated.  I was able to hitch up and head home. Thankfully it was a short distance as I am certain that my brake switch doesn’t work after all this. 

Thanks for the tip on replacement.  That will happen before we head out next.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Do your brakes on the trailer work in regular service? It is possible the brakes aren't working at all which may explain why the emergency function doesn't work.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    @N7SHG_Ham Thanks for asking. Good question.  Yes, the brakes definitely work when towing.  I have learned to feel the difference when towing as I have experienced a no-brake trailering situation once.  I learned the hard way that some GM vehicles with factory hitch are not always wired for 7 pin connectors.  The power wire is often left disconnected from the battery.  I was stymied as to why my Bluetooth brake control device was not powering up from the vehicle.  Fortunately, it was a very short tow and we figured out what was wrong soon after.