Options

Do you know how to close (latch) the windows? I thought I did...

CorbinpiloCorbinpilo Member Posts: 21
I created an issue with our night shades during our second trip with our late model 2015 Max S Sofitel. If this has been discussed elsewhere I apologize.  

During our drive from OH to Colo we discovered that 2 of 3 of our accordion style night shades had come out of their frames. We gently put the loose ends back in the tracks but found they bend towards the inside of the trailer when we slide them open (to allow sunlight inside).  

The damaged shades where caused by how I latched the windows closed for travel. I didn't know that window latches have two positions. 

The position I knew (where the latch goes into a groove channel) apparently allows a slight air gap. This is for when you want the windows latched but still want air passing through the trailer while camping, such as when using the fan to pull air through the camper on a warm night. 

This was the way the windows were closed when we purchased the trailer so I thought that's how you latch them closed. 

The slight air gap damaged my night shades while driving at highway speed. Obviously I didn't know about the air gap. 

The other latch position is inward of the groove and fully closes the windows, such as for travel. Oh... ;/

I took the trailer to the factory for this and other very minor repairs/modifications. Thanks to Ed K at the factory for showing me. 

We now have 3,000 miles on our T@B during our first 90 days of ownership. We have been very happy with our purchase. 

Chris C. 
Columbus Ohio 
Chris & Gina 
2015 T@B S Max Sofitel 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've had mine get blown out of the track while camping when a big gust of wind came up - have so far managed to get them back in and straight so far. The screen shades are more susceptible since they're lighter flimsier.
    My problem right now is getting all the cotton fro cottonwood trees picked out of the screens :-(
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    PX, you should write a book about your experiences.  Those of us who don't travel as much as you do can learn so much from the comfort of wherever we keep our computers. :-)
    Gil
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Yup, I was lucky I noticed the two positions right away.  It is a very clever setup, one of the best window/shade/screen systems I have seen in a trailer. 
  • Options
    Yep - Window/shade system and the Alde were big factors in my decision.
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I just noticed the two window latching positions on a recent trip. I used the groove but only traveled 1 hr to camp. Glad I found this posting. Good to know. 
    Martha & Mehit@ble in VT
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I had one of my screens go out of the track on my latest trip, but it seemed to go back in OK.  Time will tell.  PX - try something like these for the cottonwood fluffs. They really work on my home screens. I don't know if they are anything special, since they look and feel like a baby or hand wipe.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Beth - The biggest problem is the screens are so flexible (unlike home screens) - pretty much need to put one hand on one side to stabilize and wipe the other side with the other hand.
    Will have to see if I can find those to try or maybe a regular wipe will do.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    PX - good point on the flexibility of the screens.  You could try a regular wipe.  I suspect it's more about marketing with the "Clean Screens" than magical cleaning ability.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    you could always try a clothes lint brush or a hand vacuum with a brush attachment (less force that way)
  • Options
    Dbl-Stick tape I think is going to do it. Trouble with traveling full-time, you don't have (or want to carry) all the stuff one is used to. Next hardware store I pass, it'll be mine and nasty mr cottonwood fuzz will be gone.
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    We just had this conversation on Facebook the other day.  The first photo is in "vent mode", and second one is in "closed".
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    TABaker said:
    We just had this conversation on Facebook the other day.  The first photo is in "vent mode", and second one is in "closed".
    This cleared things up for me when I saw it in FB. This should go on a sticky for new owners.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TABaker, 

What Facebook group? 

Thanks. 

Chris & Gina 
    2015 T@B S Max Sofitel 
  • Options
    Thanks Sandra! I didn't know about second group. 

Chris & Gina 
    2015 T@B S Max Sofitel 
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I created an issue with our night shades during our second trip with our late model 2015 Max S Sofitel. If this has been discussed elsewhere I apologize.  

During our drive from OH to Colo we discovered that 2 of 3 of our accordion style night shades had come out of their frames. We gently put the loose ends back in the tracks but found they bend towards the inside of the trailer when we slide them open (to allow sunlight inside).  

The damaged shades where caused by how I latched the windows closed for travel. I didn't know that window latches have two positions. 

The position I knew (where the latch goes into a groove channel) apparently allows a slight air gap. This is for when you want the windows latched but still want air passing through the trailer while camping, such as when using the fan to pull air through the camper on a warm night. 

This was the way the windows were closed when we purchased the trailer so I thought that's how you latch them closed. 

The slight air gap damaged my night shades while driving at highway speed. Obviously I didn't know about the air gap. 

The other latch position is inward of the groove and fully closes the windows, such as for travel. Oh... ;/

I took the trailer to the factory for this and other very minor repairs/modifications. Thanks to Ed K at the factory for showing me. 

We now have 3,000 miles on our T@B during our first 90 days of ownership. We have been very happy with our purchase. 

Chris C. 
    Columbus Ohio 

Excellent piece of intel. I doubt inever would have found that on my own, that is, until something bad happened to my snazzy blinds.  I am glad you were able to put them back to work.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Luckily I had seen mention of the "vent" position of the windows before I went camping.  I used the vent position for additional air flow when the A/C was running, in addition to the Fantastic Fan vent open just a bit.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”