Options

2023 400 Drains, etc

A FB member took some photos of the drains under the trailer. Seems to be a couple of changes, but I am no expert.

1.  The low point drains, and tank overflow.  Is this a new spot for the fresh water tank drain valve?  And the overflow?
2.  Alde Yellow Flapper drains.  Dual Glycol drains?
3.  Trying to sort out exactly where/what this is.
4 Air conditioner drain?
4.  Don't know what this is.

2017 Outback
Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2022
    The clear hoses on no 2 look like the yellow pressure relief valve drains, based on their locstion.  I would like to see the top view inside the Alde compartment to confirm this. The black tubes with the red plugs are the two Alde Glycol service/drain tubes, that are connected to the Alde glycol service pump, which pumps,out the old,fluid and pumps in the new replacement fluid, to reduce labor costs for this every two year service.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
    I have a 2023 400 BD with the drain valves shown above by pthomas745. If I drain them after a trip, will it drain the Alde hot water tank, or do I need to tear my bed apart to get to the mythical Yellow Valves?  One the reasons I traded up to a 400 was so I didn't have to mess with the bed!
    2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    DaveC said:
    . . . If I drain them after a trip, will it drain the Alde hot water tank, or do I need to tear my bed apart to get to the mythical Yellow Valves?

While I cannot answer your question, you could do an easy test to decide . . . .

After your next trip
      ---  Use the Hot/Cold Low Point Drains
      ---  Then activate the two (if equipped) Alde Yellow Valves (one for furnace tank, one for extended HW)

What happened?
    Did you hear or see on the ground extra water discharge?
    Side Note:  The Alde Furnace Tank Yellow Valve should be dumped every 10-days
                       to 're-fresh' the tank's air cushion

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    Some have said that just emptying the hot and cold drains will drain the Alde, from my experience it requires opening the yellow flapper valves under the bed to fully drain it.  That is what I do after each camping trip.  With the way we have our bed set up, factory mattress and our Exped topper mattress it is very easy to fold in over and open the drains.  If it is difficult for you to access the valves and you camp often you can probably just do it every other trip or so and be fine.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    I agree, and would add that not only do you need to use the yellow flapper valves under the bed to fully drain the Alde tank, you also need to use them periodically to bleed the tank (manual says after every 10 days of use but that is overly demanding considering the hassle) in order to maintain an air cushion in the system to insure the flow of hot water and eliminate air hammer when you open and close the faucet valves. You don’t need to drain the entire tank to create the air cushion - opening the valves for 10-15 seconds should do the trick. Opening the low water valves in the Nautilus compartment won’t get these jobs done. That’s my experience anyway.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX