Options

Low Voltage - What Me Worry?

GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
We just returned from a week in Maine at Acadia National Park (Magnificent).  We stayed at a campground just outside the park which provides a 20 amp electric hookup.  Using an adapter, I connected with my 30 amp Hughes Watchdog protection.  The Hughes Watchdog would shut down and restart continuously showing fluctuations in voltage dropping at times below 100v.
The Watchdog shuts down automatically when the voltage drops below 104.  

The campground owner agreed to let us move to a different site at the far other side of the campground.  Same result.  As it was obviously a systemic issue throughout the campground and everyone else was plugged in without issue, I decided to plug in using my relatively simple 20 amp surge protector.  We had no issues the rest of our stay.  

So how much should low voltage be feared?  It cycled as low as 97v regularly without a problem.  And if that is the case, why does the Hughes Watchdog set 104v as a shutoff point?
2021 T@b 400 Boondock
       Oneonta, NY

Comments

• Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    Did you stay at Mt Desert Campground by chance?  I was there last September (fabulous campground and location that doesn't alllow any rigs over 20 feet).  I used my Progressive EMS and adapter and had no issues during my stay.

As a side note, I met or waived to 6 or 7 TAB / TAG owners during my stay.  So fun.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,190
    Having a hard-wired Watchdog I've often wondered about this exact situation. So far we haven't had issues at campsites. But I think the shutoff point of 104v is determined by a certain allowed percentage of voltage fluctuation deemed safe for electronics. 97v seems really low. From my understanding it takes repeated exposure to low voltage for any real harm to be done. A couple of days at a campsite may or may not cause harm but I'd err on the side of caution. It does beg the question what hardwired folks like me do when faced with this issue? I guess that's what I get for installing a hardwired option. Although if I knew I was at a site with 97v I wouldn't plug in regardless. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    @manyman297 Depending upon the make and model some hardwired EMS's have a bypass switch.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    I don’t think the Hughes allows a bypass. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    The campground was good except for the electrical issues.  We chose it because it does not allow RV's over 20' and many are tents.
    The Hughes Watchdog has been used without issue at other sites but always at a 30 amp hook up.  With introspection, I considered the possibility that my setup for a 20 amp outlet could cause the problem.  I have attached a photo of the connection between the 20 amp outlet and the camper - does anyone see where this would cause low voltage? (Bottom photo shows the full setup.)
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    The only obvious thing would be cable length that would cause voltage drop but the length of your cable and the gauge of wire makes it seems doubtful that’s the issue.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road