Options

2019 TAB 400 door window fell off

Just returned from a trip.  As I was cleaning out the trailer I discovered the narrow window in the door was loose at the top and bottom.  As I was trying to get a picture it fell off in my hand.  I guess I am lucky that my trip didn't last another mile longer or I would have lost the window somewhere along the road.
Now the question is how to reattach the thin flat acrylic sheet to the door.  It appears that it was originally attached with some sort of black moldable adhesive material.  Does anyone have experience with attaching plexiglas or acrylic to aluminum?  Any ideas what material to use?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
  • Options
    OK, I got the window stuck back in/on the door.  Couldn't find any 3M VHB tape at a reasonable cost so I used this stuff.  It is meant to stick molding onto the side of cars and trucks.  I think it is going to work.  I'll have to run the TAB down a couple hundred miles of washboard road to see how it actually performs.
    I suppose I could achieve the same effect by driving down I-20 here in West Texas for awhile.  I'll let y'all know if it falls off again.

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @falcon1970 when my window came off, I noticed the leading edge of the window opening stuck out beyond the exterior of the camper, preventing the window from sitting flush on the exterior.  I used one of my sharp woodworking chisels to pare the plastic back until it would not interfere with the window.  Used the VHB tape and black exterior caulk, and so far so good.
  • Options
    @TNOutback. Fortunately the interior plastic trim on mine was flush with the outside of the door and I didn't have to trim.
    What black exterior caulk did you use?
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @falcon1970 I think it was a GE silicone I got from Home Depot.  Nothing special.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    OK, I got the window stuck back in/on the door.  Couldn't find any 3M VHB tape at a reasonable cost so I used this stuff.  It is meant to stick molding onto the side of cars and trucks.  I think it is going to work.  I'll have to run the TAB down a couple hundred miles of washboard road to see how it actually performs.
    I suppose I could achieve the same effect by driving down I-20 here in West Texas for awhile.  I'll let y'all know if it falls off again.

I'm currently in need of replacing my door window too. Had has the 3M tape held up so far? Any installation tips now that you've gone through the process? Thanks in advance...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    @ChrisFix
    So far the window is still connected and doesn't leak.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    Ours just started to come loose at the bottom.  I checked all the caulk seals about a month ago and all was good, including the door window.  We did one 6 day trip since then, only about 260 miles of driving.  Tonight as I was locking the door after finishing packing for our trip tomorrow morning I notice the bottom of the window coming loose.  

I did a quick repair with some butyl tape, under the window and on the outside.  Glad I found this before out trip tomorrow.  It would have sucked if it fell off while driving.  It seems real secure now but I will definitely pull the window off and tape it back on and re-caulk it before our next trip.  

Does anyone know what type of tape they use to secure the window?  Also wondering if butyl tape with caulk would be better than 3M tape?  Things like this are the reason I always carry butyl tape and eterna bond tape
     with me for field repairs.  

Butyl tape repair. 

2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado