Options

Our bear story

The end of June 2018 we started having a 3 legged bear come around. My wife was cooking ribs that day and we were going to eat outside at the picnic table. He changed our plans. We haven’t seen him last year or this year. For some reason he grabbed the brand new styrofoam cups off of the table.

2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 

Comments

• Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    This picture was memorial day weekend 2019. He was looking in the front door about dusk. Our fox terrier was the only one inside. Three weeks after this picture was taken my wife was cooking breakfast. The grandkids came in and didn’t shut the door tight. He pushed the screen in and the door swung open. I was sitting in the recliner closest to the door. I screamed, everyone else screamed and he trotted away.

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Wow, he’s done well to live that long without that front leg! 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options

This one is from the summer of 2020. He had his ear tagged, so the game commission trapped and found him to be healthy. He was putting on weight and his coat looked healthy.

• Options
    In April 2018 we had this one come around. He climbed up the 4” pipe to get to the bird feeder.

• Options
    From my living room window this summer…we had an insane amount of bear activity this year.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The dry weather on on the Pacific north coast has forced a lot of wildlife down out of the mountains, looking for food and water.  We have bears, and mountain lions wandering around the coastal area, which is unusual.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 In my area, they were at their worst during spring & early summer, when we were actually still well ahead in rainfall. Once it stopped raining in late July, we saw a lot less of them. In my case, the culdesac is in a suburb, on the side of a wooded mountain that is 2/3 unoccupied state forest land, the forest starts about 5 houses away. They’ve always been a minor nuisance during the 17 years I’ve lived here (along with coyotes, bobcats, and yes, very occasional cougars). But this year the population of bears exploded, and too many idiots who live on the neighboring streets didn’t properly secure their trash.

It was actually fairly scary for a while. We were dealing with one to three full grown bears daily, and they had very little fear of anything…except for my very loud neighbor singing at them in her extremely nasal accent. After that, we found they also didn’t much like any of the other neighbors singing disco, which from then on, we did anytime we had to be outside at night. LOL
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Nice Victoria, we are a,so adjacent to Calif State Forest lands/parks, have are between two creeks (small rivers) that run up small canyons to the larger forested tracks behind us, these are large and small animal highways to the coast from the mountains behind us.  Logging activity kept most creatures out of the area, but with part of this land becoming Stste parks, logging is no longer going on, except in small patches. 
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.