Options

Confused about Rhomar frequency of change

Hi All,
Its my understanding that the Rhomar fluid has to be changed every two years regardless of whether you used the Alde heating much.
In another post, a fellow Canadian said it cost him $1000 bucks Canadian to change his Rhomar fluid.
Am I the only one who thinks this is outrageous that you have to do this every 2 years?
My gawd, your car servicing schedule doesn't specify antifreeze change at that rate.

Confused
2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
Toronto, Canada

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2022
    The higher $1,000 CD charge was not just a fluid change, but a complete service, draining and flushing out all of the old Century TF fluid (previously used, with two water flushes), then blowing out any remaining water and finally refilling with the new Rhomar fluid (which has recently gone up in price).   This is about a three hour job, requiring two technicians, so it is more expensive than a simple drain and refill, which subsequent service every two years will involve.  Here in the US, this runs from $450 to $600 for first time flushing of old fluid snd refilling with Rhomar fluid.

The need to drain and refill every two years, has more to do with corrosion prevention, than the duty life of the transfer fluid. When you. Is aluminum and stainless steel components in a heating (or cooling) system, corrosion control is very important.  Given the additional protection, the protection the Rhomar offers the $3K+ Alde system, is worth the additional cost of switching to it.  The every two year drain and refill service is part of owning a TaB with the Alde system, which I wouldn’t trade for anything.  
    Cheers 

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 138
    Agreed, and understand why it has to be changed, but at such a short interval !...if our cars need a costly fluid change every two years we would scream!

Cheers!
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Every two years was the interval on my fishing boat heat exchanger.  Cars have different types of cooling requirements.  The Alde uses a heat transfer fluid, with anti-corrosion compound added, so has a shorter in use life cycle.  I remember when you had to change car coolant every year, than every two years.  It was part of the vehicle maintenance.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    1) Cars drain the glycol easy, heating system don't drain as easy. 2) Car glycol does not come in contact potentially with drinking water this does (safer). 3) Cars only have the block and one radiator, heating system has many connections and materials. 4) Cars should have the glycol replaced every few years or the block / system will corrode... There could probably be better radiant heating solutions but there isn't a big market for it.

If NuCamp could design the convectors / tubing to be self-draining much of the cost would go away. But gravity would require some compromises in the system.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 458
    It may be noteworthy that Alde recommends different fluids and change intervals in Europe (see https://www.alde.co.uk/faq/). The short intervals appear to be the result of US government regulations that prohibit ethylene glycol. The list in Europe even includes straight up VW coolant.