Options

400 utility access

Decided to make accessing the under bed utility bay easier by hinging the plywood cover and installing a hold open bracket. As luck would have it there is an aluminum horizontal frame member in the wall right where the hinges needed fasting.
Also installed a hold open for the under bed storage bay.

Comments

• Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 72
    Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,217
    Great mod! I was planning on figuring out a decent way to hinge the Alde compartment next spring. Looks like I’ve got some great pics to help me out now. Really wish they’d just do this from the factory as accessing that area to get to the alde drains is something that should be done after every trip. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 90
    @tinknocker…Nice job!  Our 2018 came from the factory with a lift-up cover very much like your modification (without the support strut). I don’t understand why they would have eliminated that access, especially with the Nautilus panel blocking access from the outside. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    RobynERobynE Member Posts: 31
    Yea I can't understand why it doesn't come like this either. I really DREAD having to get under there.  I use a piece of wood to prop mine that I store in the compartment but I end up hitting it at some point and down on my head comes the big panel. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2022
    They (nüCamp) did in the original 2018/2019 TaB400, the Alde compartment cover is hinged on the driver’s side, and these storage area at the back. In 2020, with the battery move, nüCamp started screwing the tops down.   A later addition in 2021 was a lift kit one the center storage area only to hold the bunk section up, but the battery and Alde compartments were screwed down.  
    See photo below:

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 278
    Great mods! I store paper towels among other items in the under-bed storage compartment and I use one of the rolls to prop open the compartment lid. Low-tech solution for sure…
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    Phase 2 of utility access, battery inverter access. Moved the hinges from the front storage cover to the back of the battery/inverter cover. Then modified a piano hinge for the front cover to 1/2 inch offset type by bending one edge 90 degrees and spot welding a flat piece on one side. Trimmed front cover 1/8 inch in length to account for hinge thickness. Now have both the wet and battery bays accessible without having to remove screws.