Options

Heating issues

I plugged in set the heat to 1 KW, and temp to 70.

the temp goes above that 74-79.

Is there something I can check?

Also why is there two options 1KW and 2KW
2021 TaB 320 Boondock, Gran Cherokee TrailHawk

Comments

• Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    1kw is used when plugged into a 15 amp plug like at home, 2kw is for use when plugged into 30 amp service like at a campground.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    In the Alde Tool Menu, there is a "Temperature Offset" function on page 21.  You can adjust the thermostat from there.  The thermostat is usually right there at the Control Panel, so it can be a little out of whack depending on a lot of things.

#15 Offset (temperature adjustment)
    Using this function, you can calibrate the
    temperature on the control panel if you notice
    that the stabilized room temperature is not
    the same as the temperature shown on the
    panel.

Think of the 1 and 2kw settings as a "low and high" on a portable heater.  As Kevenv points out, the 2kw setting draws more power than a 15 amp circuit can handle.  Each heating "element" draws 7.9 amps.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    Does it matter if the unit is not level?

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    No, level has never been an issue (so far!).
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    Is the temperature at the Alde showing 74-79F, or is that with a separate thermometer?  If it's the Alde, Temperature offset won't fix it.  As described above, Offset is intended to be used when comparing to a separate, and more accurate, thermometer (located at the control panel) to calibrate the Alde thermometer.  If the Alde is showing 74-79F, you have an issue with the Alde.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Also, if you heat the TaB with the Alde to 70F, and the sun is shining, you will get some solar gain, even in colder weather, which can push the trailer temp up by 5 to 10 degrees.  Yesterday morning, outside temp was 38F, TaB was around 40F, with no heat on in the trailer, the TaB was at 70F by mid afternoon, which outside temp around 50F.

I use a small USB powered fan to help circulate the air when using the Alde to heat the TaB 400, and even out the cabin temperature.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    NovaTabNovaTab Member Posts: 91
    Figured it out, the roof vent was open dropping cold air on thermostat, so the heat kicked up

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Glad you got it sorted.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    The temp on our Alde display is 6 degrees higher than real temp. I set the heat at 70, the display went to 76. But the heat actually went to 70. We have a therm/humidity display left over from our Winnie days, very accurate. I checked the Alde display at different times and temps, always 6 off.
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi,  Not sure which Alde model you have, if it's the 3020 there is an offset feature you can use.  Mine was off by a few degrees.  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    I'll make a note, and look at that when we take our trip in Feb. Right now it's covered and winterized.
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    Unless you add a fan, there is no active air circulation. The trailer will be wonderful comfortable on the bed, but you will probably find a pool of cold air on the floor by the door and a closet full of cold air in the lavatory unless you leave the lav door open.

You could use a temp offset, or you could buy an accessory remote temperature sensor, but it is easier to remember the number where the trailer is comfortable. For us, that number is 70.

There are 2 electric heating elements, 1kw each. You have a choice of one or both. Use 1kw only when on a standard 110 extension cord. If on external, 30 amp power, you can use either. The 2kw does appear to make better and more hot water. The cabin comfort doesn't seam any different.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"