Options

Window protection under winter cover

2021 Tab 400, All-Pro Adventures cover. We were concerned about inside of cover scratching the windows as the winter winds blew and flapped the cover for months. A brief test in an inconspicuous area indicated this was a real possibility. Instead of going with plastic film window protection, we made soft fleece protectors, with Velcro attachments to the black window frames. They worked great! The 21-22 winter, each window had its own cover. Great for the big rectangular windows but fussy for the portholes and door window. For 22-23 winter we made larger fleece panels with keder tape, hung from the keder rail to cover the portholes and door as a group, kept the individual panels in the rectangular windows (front, back, galley). See pics. Front curve is pretty close to 48” radius, we cut that into the fleece and left the rest untouched, sewed keder tape on across the whole top edge. Once sewing was done, the whole process of hanging the fleece panels and installing the cover is just a half hour process. We roll the cover up in a length wise double sausage, place lengthwise on top of Tab, and unroll each side down. Double check fleece positions, connect straps, Bada bing bada boom!

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    Attaching the keder rope was a great idea! This was my first year with a cover. I used the plastic wrap on the windows. It was a bit fussy and time consuming, especially as it was a breezy day. I couldn't reach the top middle of the back window, though, so used blue painters tape to attach a fleece blanket to cover the top half of the window. That was much faster and I'll probably go that route next year for the large windows. To get the cover on, I followed someone's advice from FB: open up cover with inside facing down onto ground. Then roll up each length-wise side towards center, then roll up front and back towards center. I needed help getting it up onto top of trailer, but then it was easy! Unroll front and back first, then each side.

Question: what is the best/easiest way to get the cover off in spring?
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,217
    Great covers!

I used plastic wrap as well. I used regular Saran Wrap last year and it worked well but used packing plastic wrap this year...but I think it's basically the same thing.

I love the utilization of the keder rail on yours. That's super clever.

One thing I did this year was wrap the plastic trim with the plastic wrap (and tape it down with blue tape). I noticed that the cover rubbed the plastic trim along the top (above the keder rails) and rubbed against the plastic so much that it kind of dulled the very edges of it. Not a huge deal since nobody really sees that but wanted to be proactive. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    My cover has never "scratched" my windows in 6 years and two covers of use. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    I think having the cover snugged tight will help prevent the movement of the cover that wears on the windows.  If it is flapping in the breeze, I think anything can dull the surface.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    It might but you're talking about micro-movements of the cover over a glossy surface. It's always going to move somewhat. I too assumed having the cover tight over the trailer would keep movement of the cover to a minimum but it still managed to dull the edges of the plastic trim. Our cover (the classic accessories brand) is rough to the touch. I guess if your cover isn't rough it may not scratch it but acrylic just tends to scratch over time no matter what you do.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    I also have that cover and I am considering sewing the fleece or other on the inside of the cover, at least for portholes.  Does anybody see any issues with this approach ?
    Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
    "The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    I purchased a roll of so called suitcase wrap - like you’ve probably seen at the airport. Seems it sticks to itself, but would not adhere to the TaB windows. What product has worked, svp ?
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    5th winter under the cover, never had any issues with cover scratching the windows
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,031
    We had some circular scratching on our windows after the first winter under cover.  Last winter and this winter we have covered the windows with pieces of some very soft bed sheets.  Seemed to help after last winter.  Even though the scratching was minor since we are covering it for the next 5-6 months we might as well take and extra 10 minutes and install the window covers.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2022
    @RCB I used Glad Press'n Seal. It clings really well and I did all the windows on my 400 by myself, wrapping the film under the edges of the open windows (where possible). This is my first winter with the trailer and All Pro cover. They recommend it and for $7, it seems like a cheap precaution. It is windy in the winter in the Maritimes so no matter how tight I have the straps there could be some buffeting of the cover.
  • Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2022
    I put double bubble reflective foil on all the windows and secure it with a nylon strap then put on the cover. Also use it on the Stargazer window in the summer to keep it cooler inside the trailer when camping.

2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    RCB said:
    I purchased a roll of so called suitcase wrap - like you’ve probably seen at the airport. Seems it sticks to itself, but would not adhere to the TaB windows. What product has worked, svp ?
    I also have a roll of this film and was thinking of trying to wrap both the exterior and interior of the window in a continuous, overlapping loop, letting it stick to itself in the process. The film is flexible enough that it shouldn't interfere with locking the window in place. Have you tried this method?
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Last year and again this year, I used pieces of polyethylene film taped to the TaB at corners etc. i used a quality electrical tape which peeled off in the spring without leaving any residue. The so called cling wrap as previously mentioned did not work.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 137
    I use the ‘suitcase wrap’ held on with blue tape (painters tape). Works great. Be sure camper and windows are clean and dust free first.
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    @RCB what didn't work for you with the cling wrap?
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Cling wrap worked well for me last year. The windows obviously need to be completely clean to get a good "cling" and then press it down with your hands getting rid of large bubbles. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    Cling wrap worked well for me last year. The windows obviously need to be completely clean to get a good "cling" and then press it down with your hands getting rid of large bubbles. 
    What he said.
  • Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 59
    Tried the moving company packing ("Saran") film last year.  Washed and thoroughly dried windows prior to application.  This Spring some of it was off the windows.  This year we made some mini "fitted-sheet" covers out of an old flannel bedsheet.  Will see how this idea holds up in Spring 2023.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado