Options

Alde propane venting question 2018 320S

We are having some wintery weather in the Seattle area.  Heavy wet snow yesterday resulted in power outages overnight; daytime temps in the 30s.

When our power went out, I was thinking that if it stayed out for more than a day, I could at least fire up the Alde on propane in my T@B and have a warm place to hang out (2018 320S).  BUT, I have put a cover on my trailer, which got me concerned about running the Alde on propane with a cover on the trailer -- where do the propane fumes vent????  Would it be safe to run the Alde with a cover on the trailer??????

TIA for the help!
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 465
    No. There is a round exhaust on the driver side that needs to be venting to the outside. And it's hot exhaust coming out of it. 

If you're going to hang out in it just remove the cover. Might be less dark too...
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    @Grumpy_G -- thanks, that was what I suspected.  Glad I thought about it before doing it!  Will tuck this knowledge away for future reference. 

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Agree with @Grumpy_G, trailer cover must be OFF to run the Alde on propane. At best, it’d burn a hole in your expensive cover.

A lot of us keep our RVs ready for emergency usage of this sort. A number of years ago, I went without power for seven days after an ice storm took out feeder lines along I-90. It was awful. After that, we installed a wood stove as backup, but heating a house this size that way is more work than I can manage alone since my husband passed. Nowadays, the Tab is my escape pod. I have an extra propane tank ready to pop in as needed, and my tiny propane generator + portable solar + Jackery as options for keeping the battery charged. The plan now for a lengthy winter outage would be turn off the water to the house, drain the pipes, move into the Tab with a bucket potty and bottled water, and hope for the best! 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    @VictoriaP, we've been fortunate to not have a lengthy power outage in several years (knock on wood).  I feel like I am living on borrowed time!  :s  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @PNWtabber Yeah, been lucky here too lately, longest has been about 20 hours since that crazy one. I do feel a lot more comfortable knowing that the Tab is there…I have a portable butane stove, two Mr. Buddy propane heaters, the Jackery, etc. to make shorter outages more bearable while staying in the house, but honestly it’s a whole lot easier knowing I can just move into the Tab for the duration.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,604
    @PNWtabber . . . . If it was my trailer (which is covered)
    I would indeed make sure the cover was not 'covering' the Adle exhaust . . .
    but I would not remove the entire cover.

Just make sure the vent is clear plus some space due too exhaust heat.
    And that your method for keeping the cover 'off the vent' is reliable.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 358
    I was working on the trailer last weekend. I just used a piece of scrap wood to lift the edge of the cover up and away from the vent. The hot air actually blows out the sides of the vent and moves sideways across the trailer rather than blowing perpendicular to the trailer. It does get pretty warm. 
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"