Options

Adding 120vAC outlet to 2018 320s/cs

ObizzyBObizzyB Member Posts: 14
Hello, I’ve searched the forum threads and understand additional AC outlets can be installed.  For my 2018 320s/cs I would like to install an outlet by my interior front cabinet top to plug in a small ceramic heater to jump start the Alde. The only ‘accessible’ outlet that I’ve found is under the rear cabinets which is a no-go for the heater since I leave the bed set-up. So my questions are, can it be done for the location I’ve chosen? And with all the talk about converters etc, do I need to go to an RV service center or NuCamp dealer? It sounds like it’s more than a DYI  project for just me, but perhaps with some instructions and the help of an electrician friend?

I am a newbie, and don’t want to throw a lot of money into a project that I’m only going to need a few times a year. So any alternative work-arounds would also be appreciated. 

Thank you everyone for contributing to such a great resource! 🤗
Liz S. aka Bizzy B
2018 T@B CS/S
2014 GMC Acadia w/tow pkg. 
Northern CA

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I don't own a Clam Shell, so some photos of your existing outlet and desired location for the new one would be helpful.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    ObizzyB said:
    . . . 2018 320s/cs I would like to install an outlet by my interior front cabinet top to plug in a small ceramic heater to jump start the Alde.
    I'm a bit confused . . . do you have an " S " or " CS " model.
    My 2018 320S  {wet-bath, kitchen, no outside kitchen} has a 120VAC outlet above the Sink.}

It is not clear as to what your set-up is now, and where you'd like an additional 120VAC outlet.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    @MuttonChops, I have the wet bath bath & clamshell. It’s my understanding the S is for wet bath and the CS is the clamshell version of the S.  The clamshell has a set of cabinets and countertop in the front where your kitchen area would be on the S model. I would like to put an outlet where yours is located. 

@Tabaz  I’ll take pictures tomorrow. Thanks for checking in!
    Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    Northern CA
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
    I found this picture of a 2018 320CSS that show outlet by the floor. I'd think that would be an option to plug in a heater. If your set on wiring one up front, I installed an outlet on the wall between the bath and the cabinets. You don't have the sink or power for the refrigerator there, but fishing a wire under the the shower pan might be an option for you. It enters into the compartment behind the toilet where the water pump is located.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    Northern CA
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    @AnOldUR Thats very helpful! Thank you. Since that plug under the bed is closer to my cabinet that might work great for the heater (or other appliances). Much better than reaching all the way over the bed to the back plug. I think that might be my solution. I’ll check it out tomorrow. Thanks again!
    Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    Northern CA
  • Options
    @ObizzyB ;  I like the simple approach as noted by @AnOldUR,
    that is use the available outlets and a quality extension cord.

That said, I am surprised the 2018-yr units don't have a 120VAC outlet for the front countertop.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2022
    The advantages of the simplest approach not withstanding, if you want to avoid tripping over an extension cord, or otherwise find the convenience of having an outlet near the front counter compelling, then I would see no reason not to add one, provided the installer is somewhat handy & has a basic knowledge of household wiring.  Of course, it would require cutting and/or drilling a hole in the wall and adding an outlet box & switch.  Since there is a double wall in this area, it might be easier to use a surface mounted and/or low profile outlet box, or relocate any existing shallow display panel if needed to make room.
    In any case, I've located the images below to illustrate the route one might take and the possible structural features in the area..
    I assume this is what your wet bath looks like, @ObizzyB ?..

The dotted line represents the route for a power line from under the driver side bench seat, under the shower, behind the toilet wall, and to the wall at the cabinet.
    And another floorplan view..

And the green box below would be the target area for mounting an outlet..

Below is a shot of the area under our driver side bench seat near the front of the wheel well.  Circled in green are the AC cables running from the converter area to the raceway that goes under the shower floor pan and into the space behind the toilet wall..

You may be able to wire a new 120V cable from the existing GFCI outlet in this area to extend power (& protection) to the new outlet.
    Next below is the view inside the wall where the outlet would be mounted & the route for the cable. 

As mentioned, there is a double wall in this area left of the cabinet, with only about an inch of space inbetween.  If one layer is already cut out, as shown, then you may be able to use that space for an outlet box, but this may require relocating an existing display, if possible. 
    Otherwise, a shallow surface mounted outlet box is another option, which would probably be easier & may only require drilling a single 3/4" hole.
    For me, this would be a fairly easy project, but it would require having the right power tools, like a drill, at minimum, and possibly a reciprocating/scroll saw or a plunge cutter tool if you recess the outlet box into the wall.
    The simplest approach would only require drilling one hole, then installing a surface mounted outlet box.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ, WOW! Super helpful!! Yes that’s my bath area (w/ a sink) and the routing looks straight forward, albeit pulling wire may be the only challenge.  The shallow plug is 👍; the fewer cuts into surface, the better. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to detail all those steps. I think that’s going to be my long-term solution project to start in the spring. 
    Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    Northern CA
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    @ObizzyB The wire path and notes by @BrianZ are excellent. The round outlet I posted in my second picture above was a easy install and the USB ports are a plus. It helped that I already had a 2-3/8" hole saw from a previous project. The round hole was much easier than trying to make a rectangular hole for a standard outlet in that tight location and you a flush mount.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    @AnOldUR I like the round receptacle, it looks like a better and easier fit for the small space next to the display monitor. 

@MuttonChops this is the area I have to work with. I agree that one would think they would have put a plug there. Also there is no plug in the ‘loo’ like there is in other models. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thank you all for your help. I now have a short term fix and a long term (permanent) plan moving forward.🥰

Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    Northern CA
  • Options
    ObizzyB said:
    . . . now have a short term fix and a long term (permanent) plan moving forward.🥰
    For your Permanent solution.  You might consider mounting the outlet as nüCamp does on the 320S.  There is a lot more working room for the hidden parts of the outlet.

• Options
    Oh, sorry, @ObizzyB, if you have a sink behind the toilet, then I'm not sure whether you'd have the same inside wall space behind the toilet as shown in my last photo?  If not, then it might be a bit more of a challenge.  Or, as @MuttonChops said, you could locate an outlet below the radio, as we have in the 2018 stock 320S model.  One way or another, it's a doable project.
  • Options
    @BrianZ  and @MuttonChops thanks for the replies!  Whichever is the easiest!!  But just to clarify, I don’t have a sink behind the toilet it’s a small corner sink in front of the toilet under the mirror. 
    Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    Northern CA
  • Options
    ObizzyB said:
    The link you posted as your floorplan shows a sink behind the toilet, hence my comment.  No problem, but that's why I also showed a floorplan that I thought would apply for a 2018.  Thanks for clarifying.

• Options
    @AnOldUR, nice little round outlet you installed there.  Is that a swiveling cover on it?  If so, great choice for that location where you have a sink.  I've had standard USB ports fail, so I'd try to avoid having a uniquely designed one tied in with an AC outlet where you'd need to replace both if one failed, assuming it was still available.
  • Options
    @BrianZ. Sorry, my mistake posting the wrong year floor plan. I was “Too quick to click”. 🤪 
    Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    Northern CA
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    One way or another, it's a doable project.
    For @ObizzyB my thought was that the lower location would be an easier install and eliminate the dangling cord that you get when plugging in appliances under the upper cabinet. We have an outlet located up there and it's awkward to have cords dangling over the sink. In my case adding the round receptacle was a way to have separate outlets fed by an inverter and shore power. There are a lot of different configurations and sizes of these round outlets to choose from. 

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    @BrianZ, your outlet location seems the best. 
    BTW I see you’re from Stockton, New Jersey, I’m from Stockton California! 👍
    Liz S. aka Bizzy B
    2018 T@B CS/S
    Northern CA
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 355
    My 2018 320CS-S has an outlet under the Jensen head where the circle is in the last picture. 
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    ObizzyB said:
    @BrianZ, your outlet location seems the best. 
    BTW I see you’re from Stockton, New Jersey, I’m from Stockton California! 👍
    Um, no, it appears that would be @AnOldUR.
    I'm in Chester, VA.