Options

On the 2023, can any bunk components be removed to reduce hitch weight.

Hi folks. Asking for someone else. Apparently the 2023 has a heavier hitch weight than the 2022. Just a curiosity. For those with marginal hitch weights and those not needing the front bunk, are any of the bunk components easily removable so as to lighten the hitch weight a bit. I am guessing that the bunk addition is where the extra hitch weight comes from.  I have never seen the new bunk set up so now idea how it works. 

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    Some folks on a FB group have removed the bunk and said it weighs 35#. Removing it won't reduce tongue weight by that much since it's farther back. Also, behind the bunk set up is a very thin board about 3/4" from the wall that allows the heat from the Alde convector under the front seat to radiate up the wall. Without adding a stronger board next to it, I was concerned with having the seat back cushions up against it and reclining against it for fear it would break. 

The standard lithium battery is also much lighter than the previous 6v batteries under the bed.

The dry weight spec does not include a full propane tank. Plus added gear to the center tub...I also added two side tubs plus gear. My tongue weight is near 500#.

Personally, I cannot imagine trying to tow this 400 with my old 4Runner w/500# tongue limit. 

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I agree with above comments by dsfdogs.  The 400 is just too much trailer for many small tow vehicles.  If the tow vehicle can handle a weight distribution hitch set up with sway control, and has enough power to tow without tearing up the drive train, maybe it can work. 

Otherwise lowering tongue weight is heading toward destabilizing the trailer, more prone to sway. If too much weight is taken off the tow vehicle's front axle, it will be less able to control sway.

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    edited January 2023
    Thanks guys. Sounds like a bunch of things changed the hitch weight.  I’ll pass it on.  

Our loaded hitch weight for our 2022 is 340 pounds. But we pack lite in the aluminum box in front and of course most of the storage in the 400 is behind the rear axle so the hitch gets lighter as you fill it up. We still keep an eye on it and check it every few trips. We use an ordinary fat guy bathroom scale. Works well. 

Just looking at the 2022 and 2023 spec sheet it kinda looks like the hitch got 70 pounds heavier. Really surprising. 

Thanks again for the info. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    A 350 lbs hitch weight is the minimum I would tow a 400 with.  Our 2018 comes in at 400 lbs dry weight and around 450 loaded, which is about the 15% sweet spot for the front tongue weight on a TaB400.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ViajeroViajero Member Posts: 123
    Yah. That’s pretty much where we keep it. We tow with an SUV and like to not get the hitch over 350 as that’s our limit. Solid tow though. And the SUV is heavier than most so super stable. We have crossed the country once already and were super happy even in high winds. We pack light though. Typically fully loaded around 3380 pounds. 

We are not planning on upgrading but know someone that didn’t realize the 2023 was heavier than the 2022 (neither did we). It will be interesting to see what the loaded hitch weight is of the 2023. Nucamp lists the wet weight as 371 pounds. Makes sense as a full fresh tank actually lightens the hitch on ours. And with most of the storage in the 400 behind the axle I wouldn’t be surprised to see the hitch weight under or around 350 as well. 

Thanks for the input. 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @Viajero, @dsfdogs noted above that her loaded 2023 has a level hitch weight of near 500. I suspect that’s going to be pretty average; she came from a 320, and I know she’s not carrying a ton of gear.

This reminds me of the situation with the 2019 400, which also was listed as lighter than it turned out to be once users started posting their experiences. If someone requires a lighter hitch weight, best they look for a used 2021 or 2022.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW