Honda EU3200i (new model)

kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
We do a lot of long trips, now with our 2022 320 BD, all over the country winging it with as little planning as possible.  No schedule, no stress, our idea of retirement.  Next one AZ to the East Coast and home to Minnesota lake country, next month.  We like to be free of campground hookups.

So, I have been looking at solar and inverter/generators as our source of reliable charging of our two 100ah BB batteries, and air conditioning if we need it.  

We have the factory 105 watt solar panel.  Rather than adding more solar, I have been thinking of the new Honda as a more reliable source of charging.  And air conditioning if we need it, which would not be often.  We can mount and lock this on the tongue platform in front of the propane/battery box, and plug our shore power cable directly into it at the campsite.  

The new Honda is fuel injected (no altitude starting problems), only slightly larger/heavier/noisier than the EU2200i.  Easy on fuel.  Impressive unit.  It can provide all the electrical power we need for everything, and charge our batteries with very little hassle.  And if/when we sell our camper the generator investment stays with us for the next camper. Street price is about $2595.  

In these days when everyone seems dedicated to solar, and I understand, I still like the old-fashioned and reliable generator approach we have used for years.  Especially with the two 100ah lithiums as a bridge when we don't want to use the generator.  And that could be quite often.

Does this reasoning make sense?  Should we reconsider solar?

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
Minnesota and Arizona

Comments

• RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2023
    Are you planning on keeping the unit on the tongue during operation? If so, how will you handle exhaust by the front window and vibration? The fuel  injection sounds intriguing. For reference, we could run the AC and recharge batteries with a 2000W unit on our 320. It was part of our ‘grid down’ plan after a storm in the heat of summer. We never had to resort to that option though. In retrospect we could have used a smaller unit to recharge batteries when solar failed us in our travels.

p.s. We will be in your general home range this summer. We are visiting the North Shore for a few weeks, including an extended stop in Grand Marais, MN. We hope to get inland too.
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 270
    kottum said:
    We do a lot of long trips, now with our 2022 320 BD, all over the country winging it with as little planning as possible.  No schedule, no stress, our idea of retirement.  Next one AZ to the East Coast and home to Minnesota lake country, next month.  We like to be free of campground hookups.

So, I have been looking at solar and inverter/generators as our source of reliable charging of our two 100ah BB batteries, and air conditioning if we need it.  

We have the factory 105 watt solar panel.  Rather than adding more solar, I have been thinking of the new Honda as a more reliable source of charging.  And air conditioning if we need it, which would not be often.  We can mount and lock this on the tongue platform in front of the propane/battery box, and plug our shore power cable directly into it at the campsite.  

The new Honda is fuel injected (no altitude starting problems), only slightly larger/heavier/noisier than the EU2200i.  Easy on fuel.  Impressive unit.  It can provide all the electrical power we need for everything, and charge our batteries with very little hassle.  And if/when we sell our camper the generator investment stays with us for the next camper. Street price is about $2595.  

In these days when everyone seems dedicated to solar, and I understand, I still like the old-fashioned and reliable generator approach we have used for years.  Especially with the two 100ah lithiums as a bridge when we don't want to use the generator.  And that could be quite often.

Does this reasoning make sense?  Should we reconsider solar?

I would see what you can do to hook up external solar. A 200w suitcase setup should keep you charged up pretty good and a 2000w inverter will run the air conditioning in a pinch for a brief period. We ditched the generator for our current trip in our 2023 400 with 300ah of lithium batteries. Had a bunch of cloudy days at the start. Batteries got as low as 23% but solar help keep everything up and running great. In a pinch you can always find a spot for cheap for topping off the batteries. I just didn’t want the hassle of lugging a generator along.
    edited March 2023
    Yes, I plan to run the unit on the tongue platform, and in fact leave it there, covered and locked for travel as well.  The front window will be closed when it is running, which should not be much.  I think the unit will have to be raised a couple of inches to fit between the aluminum rails, which should provide an opportunity for some sort of vibration suspension.  

The spare tire which rests there now will go onto the rear luggage rack, in the truck bed, or possibly left at home.  That should mitigate the extra tongue weight.

No doubt a less powerful unit will charge batteries and even run the air conditioner.  But we also need something this size for home usage during our frequent power outages.  That justifies the cost for us.  And I'm thinking the more powerful generator will charge the two 100ah lithium batteries at a faster rate, while providing camper power.

We have an older Honda EU2000i that has given us camping/travel/home backup power for years.  Terrific unit, but we want to move to the new fuel injected EU3200 that is surprisingly similar in physical size.

Enjoy your trip to Minnesota North Shore, beautiful place and nice and cool summers.  We live in Otter Tail County with its 1,000 lakes, also very nice place.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I understand the benefits of solar, but whether lugging around and setting up portable solar is less hassle than using a generator mounted on the trailer tongue, I'm not so sure.  I think the combination of lithium batteries and a lightweight generator ready to plug into is about as simple and reliable as we can get.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    If the budget allows...do both??  
    I have a 320S and added a 200W suitcase solar panel to my system.  I have 235 AH of AGM battery (so, approximately 117 AH of 'usable' power).  I can run my fridge, lights, TV, heat, water, etc. for a full day and consume around 30 AH.  With decent sun, the panels will charge the system back up to 100% in less than 4 hours.  I do have a small generator (won it in a raffle at work!) that I will use if we don't get sun...or if we really need the A/C.  It is a little cumbersome to haul around the suitcase...and move it around to follow the sun, but I love being able to charge my camper with only the sounds of the forest around me! 
    edited March 2023
    Thanks for the discussion fellow Tabbers. I'm on the fence, generator, portable solar, or both. All good, I lean toward a generator/lithium combo based on our experience.  I lean toward portable solar/lithium based on experience of others.

Another thought, a curved panel of about 200 watts mounted on the quite-useless luggage rack on the back of the 320 BD.  Maybe dismountable to function as a portable panel to placed the best sun.  That would add to the permanent 105 watt factory panel.  (Curved panel for aesthetics and a little cleaner air flow.)

All thoughts or experience are very welcome and useful.

Basil, beautiful photo !
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Interesting idea, and I would add a Victron MPPT 75/15 if the rear mounted panels are 2@100 watts (200 watts total), or a 75/10 if adding just and addition. 100 watts.  The two Victron MPPTs can be linked in a local network, too,work together to optimize your solar charging.

We have 190-watts on our TaB400 roof, controlled by a MPPT 75/15and added a second 75/15 for,our 200-watt portable setup.  This charges a 200-amp hr. AGM battery.  I found whilst camping off grid for three days in the fall, the roof mounted 190-watts of solar kept the battery charged.  We had a AV/DC fridge running in DC, the Alde at night on propane, and used the interior lighting during the night.  By noon the next day, the 190-watts of solar had the battery charged right back up.  So we didn’t need the portable panels.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Thanks Denney, that's a strong argument for solar.  

Our past experience with mounted solar charging left us "dead in the water" with 2 group 31 AGM's boon docking a few days under shade on Natchez Trace, just to mention one occasion.  I don't want to repeat these, which suggests a generator/solar combo.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Have Honda 2200i as well as 200 W portable panels. We like to set up in at least partial shade whenever possible. During hot season we disperse camp at 8000 ft. elevation or higher. Like Denny, we have never used either the generator or the portable panels. We no longer bring the generator. Still pack panels behind seat of the pickup truck TV. Purchased generator and panels in different years, so neither broke the budget. Some lucky devil(s) will buy the generator or panels when the time comes to either say goodbye to camping or just say goodbye!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    The only change I would suggest is a dual fuel gen/inv. I have a Champion 2500 and have not found problematic to take along, propane would have been more convenient than gas , a choice would be great. In my experience solar is totally undependable in some situations.
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I find the roof top solar does a good job keeping the batteries charged for most situations but I have portable 100 w panels for some shadier sites and 30a DC-DC charger for travel and if a site top off is needed. I really like the peace and quiet of solar. I upgraded to 2x100 ah lithium last year when the AGMs reached end of life. My setup works well for our style of camping, YRMV
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • TabmanicTabmanic Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2023
    I agree, a DC to DC charger and a couple of 100 watt panels will keep you charged up most of the time, you can also just start your vehicle up and use the DC to DC charger to trickle charge your batteries in bad weather. I hate a noisy generator. 
    edited March 2023
    Okay, the generator is out and so are additional solar panels.  

We ordered a EcoFlow Delta Max 2000 portable power station.  With discounts, rewards and coupons $1420 out-the-door from REI. Originally $1999 plus tax.  Will give us 160 ah of battery to back up our two 100 ah Battle Born lithiums, an inverter which our 320s does not have, and a power source for our frequent power outages at home.  Can be charged with 12 vdc from our Ridgeline, solar panels, or 120 vac (1.8 hours).  Additional battery units can be purchased and plugged in to greatly increase available power. 

Very user-friendly system, looks like it will best meet our needs for boon docking combined with some full-hookup travel.

Thanks to all for helping us sort this out.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    One word of warning on EcoFlow devices - their recommendation to deplete and recharge the batteries at minimum once a month isn't just a suggestion. Their devices are known to get quirky if you don't. Thankfully their ability to 'pass through' power like a UPS device makes this a pretty simple chore. I just keep the power strip under my desk in my home office attached to mine, and have a recurring reminder to unplug it from the wall once a month to discharge (I usually stop it around 5% capacity remaining).
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
    I wonder what's unique about EcoFlow devices that recommends a monthly discharge/recharge ?
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited March 2023
    kottum said:
    I wonder what's unique about EcoFlow devices that recommends a monthly discharge/recharge ?
    Not unique to EcoFlow. Other high-capacity lithium ion battery manufacturers (e.g. those that sell bare 50+Ah LiFePO4 units for campers/boats, ebike battery manufacturers, etc.) all recommend periodic discharge cycles and long term storage at mid-levels of capacity.
    It's because of quirks associated the Lithium Ion battery chemistry, and to a lesser extent, BMS systems. Technically EcoFlow in particular recommends a discharge cycle at least every 3 months in the docs, but you'll find plenty of folks online (including from EcoFlow's own staff on their Facebook group) recommending monthly discharge to minimize issues. Also note that EcoFlow will void the warranty on any unit that's not run through a discharge cycle for over 6 months. It's noted in the documentation, online FAQs on their website, etc.
    In general, lithium ion battery cells don't handle long-term storage at high or low levels of discharge very well; extended storage at high or low levels of charge reduces capacity. They need to be discharged every so often, and if you're going to let them sit for a couple months or longer, they should be charged to 50-60% of capacity at most until they're used again.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback