Options

320 tongue jack replacement options?

Roll pin broke in OEM BAL tongue jack.  Will try fixing it with new roll pin (I grew up calling them 'drift pins'), but wonder what options are available?

Experienced RV buddy suggests an electric one from Amazon - "it has a light!" - local Big R store has replacement for <$60 that appears to match dimensions.

The 320 has been a rock otherwise.  Just spent a week in New Mexico (we live in southern Colorado) and had snow in Santa Fe then 70 mph winds at southern New Mexico campground.  Tongue jack had the decency to break in the driveway!

Thanks in advance.   

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    @mmcneil72 - do a forum search for tongue Jack replacement.  Jen Grover just posted about an electric Jack, but there are other options, too.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/193565#Comment_193565
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    mmcneil72mmcneil72 Member Posts: 46
    Existing BAL jack roll pin/drift pin/whatever broke.  Can't locate where replacement pin is supposed to go.

Also, local Big R hardware store has a Blackjack brand tongue jack that will apparently fit - anyone ever use one of these?

All the above links are more serious mods than I'm willing (or able) to make, so looking for a drop-in replacement whether manual or electric.

Thx
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    mmcneil72 said:
    Existing BAL jack roll pin/drift pin/whatever broke.  Can't locate where replacement pin is supposed to go.

Also, local Big R hardware store has a Blackjack brand tongue jack that will apparently fit - anyone ever use one of these?

All the above links are more serious mods than I'm willing (or able) to make, so looking for a drop-in replacement whether manual or electric.

Thx
    I think that this Trailer Valet jack would drop right in. I've been meaning to swap mine but haven't gotten around to ti.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 358
    We got one from eTrailer.com. The handle folds. It's so much easier to turn and I can put a bag over it to protect it from the rain.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 358

2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Wound up buying the Big R Blackjack unit, 5 year warranty and 5,000 lb capacity.  $60.00 plus tax, no shipping!  Installed with three new stainless steel bolts, unit has a Zerk fitting for lubrication.  Finally get to use T@B caster - old BAL jack's bottom bent and out of round.

• Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 114
    ...  Jen Grover just posted about an electric Jack ...

We saw that video by her. My spouse said 'we need this'. So, once again, we spent the money and are happy with the results. About the only thing left to upgrade would be the teak bathroom floor from All Pro, once they are in stock for our model. ;)
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    Following up: steep angles on our town's streets and elsewhere in southern Colorado immediately ground off some of our new tongue jack's down tube.  Keeping our T@B 320 CS at a good (MPG efficient) towing angle puts the tongue jack down tube WAY too close to the ground even fully retracted.

Has anyone tried this solution?

https://teardropshop.com/products/jack-e-up?variant=17483137221#shopify-product-reviews

If it works, we'll give it a try.  BTW if we'd installed an electric tongue jack then ground off a chunk of it on a trip... well, I'd still be swearing.

• Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2023
    @mmcneil72 I bought one of those to use on our previous 320 Boondock. The platform area for the tire was in the way. Look at the discussion linked below where @gulfarea (corrected name!) modified the Jack-E-Up to fit the platform. On our 400 the platform is not in the way and it'll fit. As previously mentioned, we just added an electric tongue jack, so are not using the unit. Looking at your posted photo, fit may not be a problem.
    Edit to add: It's a shame your not a thousand miles closer, I'd give you our old BAL jack and/or the Jack-E-Up to get them out of my shop.

2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 219
    Jack e up has worked well for us.  Search past threads as you need to make a steel plate spacer or cut and stack fender washers to account for the trailer tongue bolts.
    Not ideal for steep slopes as it has too much slop to resist strong lateral forces if you suddenly shift trailer.  I keep a side mounted wheel lift for occasional maneuvers.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    edited May 2023
    We replaced original with electric jack but didn't like it. Ended up using this Trailer Valet off Amazon. I like it because just like the stabilizers, I can use a drill to raise and lower it but still use removable handle if need to also. We use it with the Jack E Up and Jack E Up Station so can remove it  and store it further back so out of way when when putting truck tailgate down and traveling.  
    Here's the link. https://a.co/d/5rQi4jP
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip and link!  How do you use a cordless electric drill with the stabilizers?  Keeping them lubed up has worked so far, but liking the whole cordless drill method - have a cordless handheld air compressor to keep tires on TV and T@B properly inflated (Bauer by Harbor Freight) so picking up a drill easy enough... also having a pal with an arc welder!

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    mmcneil72  yep...have ton of Ryobi cordless at home as well as take multiple items (drill, fan, inflator, etc) on road. So can share batteries. Found really easy to use drill/driver for stabilizers and jack. But good idea to use 2 hands and go slow to prevent cranking too much and/or spraining wrist. I keep the manual crank just in case my drill goes out. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods