Options

Reconnecting VictronConnect to a new iPhone - Gggrrrrrrr

BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
Hi.. I replaced my iPhone.  I downloaded the VictronConnect app... it asks me to pair (I use 6 zeros) but it will not pair.   I have restarted my phone, disconnected power / battery to the trailer... deleted and reloaded the app.  It is almost like it is still paired the old phone... but that phone is long gone.  This was so easy the first time. Help!   

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    edited March 2021
    Ahh...Victron.
    You might need the "PUK" Number...which is buried on the BACK of the solar controller. Or, if anyone else is reading this in the future...the Shunts have the PUK number back there, too. 
    There is one other thread here about Iphone pairing that says it just happened by magic. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    Thank you @pthomas745... the thread is what I was looking for.   It has some things I will try.  So frustrating.  

Did you by chance get my direct message?  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    So, we had our older BMV changed out to a BMV 712 Smart Shunt with the digital display last fall.  Then we got new iphones after the TaB went into storage.  We brought the TaB home and I realized that I needed to pair the new phone.  I remember everyone having to dig for the solar charge controller PUK on the 400.  So, I accessed the PUK on our very buried shunt, only to find that the VC did not recognize the code.  Then I fell down the rabbit hole of the internet and found out that I NEEDED THE PUK ON THE BACK OF THE BMV DISPLAY😂. Also, pairing with the iPhone is not as straight forward as you must go through the “Reset Pin Code” menu accessed via the 3 vertical dots next to the device on the “My devices” list.  I hope this helps someone!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 300
    edited April 2023
    Victron has made this more complicated than it needs to be.
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    @Sharon_is_SAM - I have the same issue with my dealer-installed BMV-712.  Upgraded to BB lithium batteries this week and confirmed that the shunt does not have the PUK numbers on it and now it's time to deal with the 712 directly. How do you remove the unit from its mounting? I'm wondering if I have to remove the microwave behind it and attack it that way. Thank you. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    I just installed one in that location. Remove microwave, 4 screws, then a thin wood panel that covers the wiring and back of the BMS display. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    @NorthIsUp. - sorry, but ours was mounted by nuCamp back in 2017 on a wood block that is screwed to the wall above the front counter of our CSS.  Horgan has your answer.

If you have an iPhone, I may have some suggestions for you.  Let me know.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM I do have an iPhone, but not the PUK number. I tried all 64 combinations of 000000 to 111111 using base2 in case I really changed it myself. As a programmer, I would never use anything other than zeros and ones, although I know that can be done. I think someone hacked me and changed the PIN from 000000 for fun. I will follow @Horigan's excellent instructions and just do it (finally after 2 years of not having BT access). Thank you! @Horigan
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    @NorthIsUp - The wonky thing with the iPhone is that you will receive a screen that asks for the “Pin code”, but the iPhone keyboard does not allow entry of letters which is part of the PUK.  What you do is go to the BMV on VictronConnect and tap the 3 vertical dots.  This brings up the ability to enter the PUK.  Then after it accepts the PUK, it will ask for pairing, then enter 000000.  I found this info on a VC community forum.  Apparently iPhone did not align with a VC update.
  • Options
    Thanks, again, @Sharon_is_SAM.  I'll take a shot at it over the next few days and let everyone know. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Thank you @Sharon_is_SAM and @Horigan. Removed the microwave and wood panel, got the PUK and reprogrammed the BMV-712 successfully. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Just a heads up, only one phone can be active and paired with the Fictron Smart app at a time.  To add a new phone, you need to in-pair the old phone and repair the new phone.  The 0000 number only works on a new unit, during the initial setup, you need to change the key number.  I wrote this new number down in our TaB manual.  Getting to the device PUK/serial number is a pain, as you need to remove the device to get to the serial number.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Just a heads up, only one phone can be active and paired with the Fictron Smart app at a time.  To add a new phone, you need to in-pair the old phone and repair the new phone.  The 0000 number only works on a new unit, during the initial setup, you need to change the key number.  I wrote this new number down in our TaB manual.  Getting to the device PUK/serial number is a pain, as you need to remove the device to get to the serial number.
    cheers
    You can have multiple devices (phones, ipads, etc) paired with your system via Victron Connect. You just will not be able to connect simultaneously on multiple devices to the same piece of equipment. So it isn't necessary to unpair other devices.
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    elbolillo said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers
    You can have multiple devices (phones, ipads, etc) paired with your system via Victron Connect. You just will not be able to connect simultaneously on multiple devices to the same piece of equipment. So it isn't necessary to unpair other devices.
    That may be true, but there's something about transferring data to a new iPhone that results in the connection to a Victron device requiring the PUK to connect.  Going through this now with six devices spread between my trailer and my boat.  This may be because I never changed the initial code from 000000.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Horigan said:
    elbolillo said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers
    That may be true, but there's something about transferring data to a new iPhone that results in the connection to a Victron device requiring the PUK to connect.  Going through this now with six devices spread between my trailer and my boat.  This may be because I never changed the initial code from 000000.
    Not sure why this happens to some people. I transferred my info from one iPhone to a new one and had no troubles with Victron Connect. 
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 52
    To all that have had issues pairing...I could not pair my iPhone 6S last Fall after a suggested iPhone update of Victron software.  Tried everything mentioned above and on other threads and finally gave up.  Tried again today just for the heck of it and was able to pair successfully with the same iPhone 6S on one try.  Argh.  Popup on this latest update requested my 6 digit pairing code (previously changed) with the keypad numbers to enter.  That didn't happen with the last "update".  I'm back on.  I have no explanation.  So try again if you have been banging your head against the wall with this technological frustration.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado