Options

Insulate Under Floor?

I have a 2019 T@B 320s and recently had to remove the plastic underpayment under the tanks. Was wondering about the impact of adding Rockwool insulation to this space before re-assembling. The goal would be a warmer floor, not protecting the tanks against freezing.

Thoughts?

?

2019 320s Boondock Edge
TV is 2007 Kia Sorento EX with 3.8L engine

Comments

• Options
    AndreOAndreO Member Posts: 69
    Been under there too and unfortunately it does get wet and dusty under there, so Rockwool would probably not be the best choice. Foam would likley be more suitable.
    AndreO
    Ontario, Canada
    2018 Tab 400
    Ford F150 2.7 Lariat
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,204
    Yeah, rockwool would become a soggy mess. If you search YouTube there are a lot of videos of DIY foam insulation installs (not necessarily for T@Bs but still applies).
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    crosstrnrcrosstrnr Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the input. For now I'm going to leave it as is and perhaps add a thicker carpet or floating vinyl flooring inside. 
    2019 320s Boondock Edge
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    I would question the real value any (water/dust proof) added insulation would provide.

For most of us the area of the floor to keep warmer is that small space from the Door to the rear bench seat.  Well directly under nearly all of that area are the Gray and Fresh water tanks . . . so there is no way to get insulation in contact with the underside of the floor.

I find a small Rug works great for having a warm (enough) floor when waking in the morning.  And far easier to install than additional insulation. ;)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @crosstrnr, FYI I did an insulated basement and frame. 
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    1" foil faced insulation board before putting the corrugated bottom back on basement.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    crosstrnrcrosstrnr Member Posts: 20
    @crosstrnr, FYI I did an insulated basement and frame. 
    Pics are great! Is that two layers of insulation - one against the frame and one against the corrugated?
    2019 320s Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @crosstrnr, One 1" layer on sides of frame and one 1" layer above the coroplast corrugated bottom. I also closed in the openings behind the wheels.
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    edited December 2023
    1" foil faced insulation board before putting the corrugated bottom back on basement.

@tybladesmith do you know what the dimensions are of this insulation board? I guess basically I'm asking the dimensions of the corrugated cover since if I understand this correctly, this is under the cover, correct? I haven't gone to my trailer storage yet but wanted to see if it might be better for me to order some rolled foam/foil insulation from Amazon vs the board. TIA
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    You can buy closed cell foam AND/ OR open cell foam in a can. My guess is closed Cell foam would do a better job of insulating than the rigid board... or perhaps using the foam at the perimeter. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    @YanniLazarus my question was for the dimensions but since nobody responded I went to my rv storage and measured.
    I'm planning to put a tank heater underneath for winter camping and then insulate with a rolled foam insulation or board since I'll have to remove the corrugated cover anyway. ;)
  • Options
    @RennieG I started with a 4'x8'x1" foil faced insulation board. Will you be insulating the black and gray tank outlets which are outside of the frame? I never got that area enclosed.
  • Options
    @tybladesmith yes, I'll be using a thick rubber pipe wrap insulation with self stick backing sold to insulation winter plumbing from freezing. I'll add a pic & a link later when I install it.
  • Options
    @RennieG, @Tabaz did an Aluminum diamond plate insulated dump valve box FYI.

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Here's a photo of the insulated valve box.  There is a thread describing this project somewhere on this forum.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.