Options

Does Victron Controller Need to be Disconnected When Battery is Removed?

2022 320 CSS. I’ve been conditioned by my Renogy solar suitcase to make sure the controller has to be connected to the battery first, then to the panels, or it could be damaged. So I’m wondering if the same applies to the Victron.  If it’s getting a charge from the rooftop solar but isn’t connected to a battery can it be damaged? Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Go into the Victron app and turn off the controller.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    Controllers have improved greatly over the years.  I destroyed one when I wired it "wrong", since they didn't have reverse polarity protection.  Newer controllers "usually" have that basic protection.  Connecting the controller to the battery first (as near as I know) was so the controller was powered up and knew the battery status and what level of charging was needed.  Whether that protects the battery or the controller from a "surge", I'm not sure.  Newer controllers, apparently, take some power from the battery and some from the solar panel.  I'm like you: connect to the battery first.
    If a controller is connected to a panel and not to a battery, the controller would just not do anything.  Recent threads, however, have owners unable to get the controller bluetooth to work until all power was taken off the controller...meaning the Victron was being charged from the panel, without being connected to the battery.  The panel cables had to be disconnected from the controller, the cables from the battery connected, and then the solar panel.  One owner discovered that covering the panel with a blanket and then reconnecting the battery to the controller restarted everything correctly.
    This thread:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    GreenhilGreenhil Member Posts: 21
    Controllers have improved greatly over the years.  I destroyed one when I wired it "wrong", since they didn't have reverse polarity protection.  Newer controllers "usually" have that basic protection.  Connecting the controller to the battery first (as near as I know) was so the controller was powered up and knew the battery status and what level of charging was needed.  Whether that protects the battery or the controller from a "surge", I'm not sure.  Newer controllers, apparently, take some power from the battery and some from the solar panel.  I'm like you: connect to the battery first.
    If a controller is connected to a panel and not to a battery, the controller would just not do anything.  Recent threads, however, have owners unable to get the controller bluetooth to work until all power was taken off the controller...meaning the Victron was being charged from the panel, without being connected to the battery.  The panel cables had to be disconnected from the controller, the cables from the battery connected, and then the solar panel.  One owner discovered that covering the panel with a blanket and then reconnecting the battery to the controller restarted everything correctly.
    This thread:

Thanks for the explanation, Paul. On reflection, I realized that my camper sat all winter without a battery, getting at least some indirect solar exposure. When I reinstalled the battery this spring there were no problems, so I suspect it’ll be ok. I’ll take Sharon’s advice and If I have difficulties, I’ll follow the steps you outline.