Options

Repair Hail Dings or Not?

kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
Hey y’all, curious what folks think about repairing cosmetic only hail damage? No leaks and solar still working great. 

2021 400 BD

We got pretty dinged up recently and insurance has quoted us either $6,000 cash or to have it repaired by the shop of our choice, but we have a $1000 deductible. We don’t really mind the dings and you can barely see them from the ground. 

Seems like the real answer is obviously do we want to try to sell or trade it in someday versus just have it forever and drive (tow) it into the ground, but I’m still curious to hear what people have done here in the past.

Other pertinent information is that we still owe almost $30,000 on it…eeek! 

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    With no functional damage the correct answer would be keep it and use it for a long time. Life has a way of changing our plans however, so you may find it worthwhile to have someone pull out the dents. I cannot imagine it would be a technical issue as much as getting someone to do the work. Any good body shop would likely have the tools and experience to pull dents, particularly since the roof is a thin sheet of aluminum. But would they do it? Not sure

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    Consider the ins. check compensation for any possible loss of value should you sell.  The damage is strictly cosmetic and a conversation starter at worst.  The fix is likely worse than the damage.  Our 2023 UT was christened in the Ucamp23 hail storm.  I can totally relate.
    FWIW - Our ins. offered a similar settlement.

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 269
    Assuming the repair would restore the roof to its original condition or a reasonable facsimile thereof, I would have it repaired. If you have to sell it in the next couple of years and the dents are present, you could have a hard time getting enough for it to cover what you owe. Buyers don’t want damaged trailers. Might be $1000 well spent.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    rfuss928 said:
    Consider the ins. check compensation for any possible loss of value should you sell.  The damage is strictly cosmetic and a conversation starter at worst.  The fix is likely worse than the damage.  Our 2023 UT was christened in the Ucamp23 hail storm.  I can totally relate.
    FWIW - Our ins. offered a similar settlement.
    Good to confirm the repair estimate is accurate, thanks for that intel!
  • Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    The only way to repair this sort of damage is to replace the entire roof skin. The aluminum outer layer is too thin to allow dents to be ‘pulled’ out. In our case, we opted to leave the cosmetic damage, as battle scars of a trailer well used, and just keep it until we are too old to care about the value loss for resell.
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @kbdigitiqe,  We purchased ours with hail damage existing and over the years have accumulated additional gravel and black walnut, etc. dents and dings. No repair attempted - not all that noticeable until you look closely - adds to the patina and character.
    As @vhollow indicates not readily repairable, aluminum stretches too much to just be popped out like steel.

Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited July 2023
    I'm waiting for my estimate now. Since the roof on mine is one big aluminum sheet from front to back and the only way to get the dents out properly would be to remove and replace the entire roof including removing and reinstalling the vent, front window, glued on solar panel, and front and rear panels, you have to ask yourself... Is it worth the chance of future leaks for a few cosmetic dents?
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    KismetKrushKismetKrush Member Posts: 29
    This is such a tricky question because $1000 is no easy matter, but it becomes more compelling to pay for the fix if you try to sell in the next year or so. I work in personal finance, and I love to consider these types of issues. I think it's really about projecting your usage and keeping of the trailer. If you KNOW you will keep for say 5 years then don't do it. A lot of depreciation will have occurred along with a solid demonstration of no leak. A person buying an older trailer will not typically mind the dents vs a person who is looking for that nearly new trailer vibe from a younger model. An older trailer a person would comer to expect that its got some wear.  =)my 2 cents
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    IMO - kbdigitiqe will not take a $6000 hit on resale whether it is tomorrow or years from now.  As a potential buyer, I would be more concerned with a trailer that had its roof replaced than one with a few hail dents someone needs a ladder to see.  The fix is much worse than the damage.
    Take the money and run...

• Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 352
    We're expecting to keep the trailer for 3 more years. Living in Texas, it will be hailed again. We chose not to repair this spring's damage. We'll repair in a year or two when the opportunity comes up again.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    Hail is the reason I wish NuCamp would go to a fiberglass roof.  Much more durable against hail.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @bergger,  The DM 'T2' model is a fiberglass roof, other DM T@B's had 'Alufiber' roofs, my '04 is aluminum.

Might be interesting to know how different materials hold up over time and interaction with extreme events.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    I’ve had a trailer with a full fiberglass roof and it got pounded with hail resulting in no damage. It is definitely more hail resistant than aluminum.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Update: taking the check thanks y’all! Reasoning is we will be holding onto the trailer for at least a couple / few years and so there will be plenty of depreciation anyway. Thanks again!

PS - for those curious, our insurance quote is just under $6,000 and that specifically includes replacing the entire roof and all of the components on the roof (solar, vents etc)
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 614
    Nice!
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Our solution to hail damage repair.  162 watt Sunflare panel installed at NuCamp Service Center.  ( Really, it was in the planning stages before the damage occurred.  Covering up most of the dings we could see was just a bonus.)   267 watts total solar with the 105 watt on the front.

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited September 2023
    Keeping my uCamp hail dents. No desire to have the entire roof and everything related front and back removed and replaced. The second panel is something I thought about but the combo of the original front panel and my portable I can set out in the sun and reposition is working well.

rfuss928 - Would like to know whet your total cost was for the second one with installation though.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York