Options

Questions about gray tank in my 2015 NuCamp Tab

My trailer does not have a bathroom, but it does have a gray tank. I can't see it but there is an outlet on the outside of the trailer that looks like it's for filling (at the campground, of course). Also a big valve that opens/closes a drainage hole under the front end of the trailer. How do I add water to the tank? How will I know when it's full? And do I need a sewer hose for draining? It did not come with one. All the instructions I've read seem to presume I know what I'm doing!! Thanks.

Calamity Janie (finally got a T@b after all these years!!)

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 453
    There two different tanks in a non-bathroom T@b. One is the fresh water tank which is what the fill is for, and a gray water tank which has the large valve to drain it. 

A sewer hose would be needed for draining the gray water tank at RV dump stations or full hookup campsites. Depending on where you are camping it might be permissible to discharge gray water onto the ground. Typically boondocking spots or small remote forest service/BLM campgrounds. It won't go over well in a fancy RV park or busy large campground. ;) 
  • Options
    CabooseCarrieCabooseCarrie Member Posts: 4
    Hello, Calamity Jane! As a brand new T@B'er myself, I had the same question (and still have a whole bunch more) when I bought my used 2017 T@B last month. When asking about knowing when the fresh water tank was full, the previous owner just said I'd "know when the water started to back out" of the manual fill hole. And he was right - LOL!  (I have not tried filling it with a hose, yet.) 
    Since then, I've found the manual for my used rig online and now know mine holds 11 gals of fresh water.  
    I've also read that if you use a hose and city water to fill with the smaller intake, be careful about the water pressure. I've read that it can cause damage and you may need some sort of pressure protection valve.

Caboose Carrie
    Iron River, WI
  • Options
    CalamityJanieCalamityJanie Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2023
    Thanks, Carrie! I did buy a regulator for when I can attach city water directly to my T@b. But I was hoping maybe to fill the gray tank from the outside just by using 5-gal jugs of water when semi-boondocking (ie no hookups). I think 10 gal. is a good guideline! Your awning looks great. That will be my next challenge!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,434
    edited August 2023
    But I was hoping maybe to fill the gray tank from the outside just by using 5-gal jugs of water when semi-boondocking (ie no hookups).
    @CalamityJane, I assume you mean fill the fresh water tank (not the gray). If so, I do exactly what you describe--while in camp I add water from a jug. Mine has a pour spout that greatly facilitates filling from the little flap door thingy. You'll spill some, but you'll get the job done. Be aware that at times you may have to stop pouring while the tank vent burps water out all over your feet. Be patient...  :-)
    As you noted, you can also fill the tank using a hose, which is much easier. I usually fill up this way at home before a trip, so I get at least a few days before having to add water with the jug.
    I have a 2015, but mine has the bathroom. In addition to the different configurations that were offered back then, changes were often made in the middle of the model year. As a result, they may be quite a bit of variation, particularly in the 2015 T@Bs. 

2015 T@B S