Options

Using Alde when dry camping

jalars8jalars8 Member Posts: 35
I haven't dry camped with my 2018 320S but am planning a 3-4 day trip at a location with no electric or water hookup - Jackson Hole area in September.  Per my Aldi manual (3020 system), it appears that more than 10.8 v are necessary from the 12v battery for the system to operate. This would be the case even though we have propane for the boiler.   If I am understanding that correctly, getting heat or hot water from the system isn't going to happen once the battery drops below 10.8v which I guess will happen well within that 3 or 4 days.  Can easily live without hot water from the system but, to stay warm it looks like we just have to bundle up.  Am I misunderstanding something?  
2018 T@B 320S

Comments

• Options
    Not sure how I managed to misspell Alde!  I'll get it right next time.
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    DaveAnnaDaveAnna Member Posts: 41
    We used ours off grid for 7 days. We have two wet cell batteries and factory solar. Never had an issues and even had fridge running. Heat on propane. Please note, if you camp above 5000’ elevation, go into alde settings and click on high altitude. Works so much better
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    There are other things that will also either shut down or alarm when the battery voltage drops to those sorts of levels: the gas alarm, for example.
    What battery do you have?  Do you know your amp hours? Do you have solar? What fridge? (3 way or 2 way?).
    If you have a "stock" 80 amp hour battery and a fridge that can run on propane, you are correct that you would be pushing the 40 "usable" amp hours that would place you at about 12.0V on the battery after 3-4 days.
    Even with a little bit of solar input you could improve on those couple of days, easily.
    You should have, at least, a multimeter that will give you a much clearer idea of your battery state of charge.  You need to be able to get battery voltage readings directly from the battery, with the battery switch in the trailer off. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    The boiler has a fan that runs when the combustion is on, and there is a pump that circulates Glycol, both need more than 10.8 volt to operate.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    I very much appreciate the comments and advice from both of you.  When I said, "am I misunderstanding something," I had a feeling I was going to find out that was true.  After I posted the inquiry, I had the thought that I should do some battery research and did do some before seeing your comments but it is clear my battery knowledge is not what it should be.  Sitting here, I cannot tell you what type of battery I have and I don't know the amp hours - in fact, not sure what that means.  My fridge is a 3-way.  I bought the trailer used a couple years ago and, as I've said, haven't dry camped with it.  When it's in storage, I turn the battery switch to off.  Just came back from camping a couple days with elec hookup so battery was charging at the camp site and on the drive home.  The read-out in the trailer says 11.1v.  Has me wondering if I need a new battery.  
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    At 11.1v your battery is discharged for all practical purposes, and most likely damaged when discharged below 50-40% multiple times. I'd say you should consider a new battery if you are planning a trip without hook-ups. 
    Here is a chart that shows state of charge for a typical deep cycle battery:

2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    The good news is: if your three way fridge is working on propane, that eases your battery use considerably.
    Without knowing what battery you have, or how old it might be, the questions about "how long" are difficult to answer.  Most of the "stock" batteries from around that time were "80 amp hour Group 24 batteries."  The "Group Size" normally tells you about what "amp hour capacity" a battery has. 
    This is a Group 24 battery. 

To get the longest life on a "lead acid" battery like that one, you should not discharge the battery too far.  The magic number is usually "50 percent of capacity."  As you can see in Webers3 chart above, that 50 percent mark is about 12.06.  This doesn't mean a battery brought down lower than 50 percent is "immediately damaged".....but it will lower the life span of the battery.  Leaving it in a depleted state can damage a battery over time.
    When you said your battery was at 11.1V...you need to say whether this was a battery "at rest".  Was the battery switch in the trailer off?  If the battery switch was on, and you were running anything in the trailer, and tried to use the SeeLevel or some sort of plug in meter...that 11 volt reading was "false".  If the trailer was being charged in some way, a reading will also be "false" on the high side.
    So: open up your battery box, and take a look.  Take some pictures and look for all those mysterious numbers.  If it says something like "DC24" or "24" somewhere in the numbers...it most likely is a Group 24 battery. 
    If it is the original battery from 2018, and you don't know how well the battery has been treated, you might want to consider a new battery.
    You need a multimeter or some sort of device that will allow you to take battery readings with the battery switch off, and no power coming into the trailer.  Meters are available in Harbor Freight, big box stores, etc. Not rocket science, but it does take a little practice.
    Lots of new owners struggle with battery "stuff", so you are not alone.  We can show you how to use the meters, it is not hard.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Sounds like you may need a new battery, and without some solar power, you might want to consider getting two, so you could swap in a fresh one.   Also, don't try to run your fridge from your vehicle, either from 12V power or propane.  If you have time, get some solar.  Here's my first experience with just one panel for our 2018 320s, which worked well..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7926/boondocking-our-first-experience-documented

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Again, I certainly appreciate all the input and advice.  I have confirmed that I have a group 24 battery (Interstate brand) and have concluded from everything you've all said that I very likely need a new battery.  I do have a portable solar unit which only used once when off grid.  Also have a multi-meter.  If I can't figure out how to use it from internet info, I will take you up on the offer of assistance.  Thanks.  One more question - looking at RV battery info on line, it appears that maybe AGM batteries are the best way to go?
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    An AGM and the group 24 interstate you have (the "stock)" battery are both "lead acid batteries". AGM advantages are things like "won't spill" or doesn't need to be "watered".  But, a Group 24 is a Group 24, and the number of amp hours available will be roughly the same.  (There are the Group 24 'marine hybrid" batteries out there that seem to only have 65 amp hours,which honestly, is too small.)  A "deep cycle AGM", with emphasis on "deep cycle" is a good choice for a new battery.  Even better, if you can find a slightly larger battery, such as the one below, the "available" amp hours increase to 50 compared to the 40 in the Group 24. Note the measurements of this Group 27 battery. Try to figure out if you can fit it in your current battery spot.

Of course, the new hotness in the trailer world is the lithium batteries.  For the same form factor, you can wind up with "almost" 100 amp hours available.  There is a lot of "confusion" and techy talk around them , but once you get the basics of what you need (low temp charging protection, a solar controller that can charge a lithium battery) they can be a great option.  Several owners here have the LiTime brand of lithium batteries, and apparently they make a small battery that has 100 amp hours!

2017 Outback
  • Options
    I've measured the space and looks like a Group 27 would fit.  Would have to get a new box and maybe have a modification of the base that box fits in.   Length of the AGM battery I've looked at probably keeps it from fitting in the space.  I'd have to remove the enclosure to make it work and probably won't do that.  I am thinking I will probably go with a Group 24.  Thanks again.  
    2018 T@B 320S
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    Your early 2018 Tab should have originally had an AGM battery installed, so the lead acid Interstate battery you have is probably new if you're not the original owner. Test your solar again to make sure it actually charges and you should be okay for a few days. You have a 12v fridge only in that unit, too.  
    We've stayed in the Jackson Hole area in October at the Gros Ventre campground and once at the Virginian RV Park which has a pretty good and large capacity restaurant next to the hotel. It also has laundry facilities. Check out the webcams here: https://www.jacksonholechamber.com/plan-your-visit/webcams/

Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @NorthIsUp - @jalars8 has a 320 and the dealer provides the starter battery - typically a cheap, non-AGM.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    @NorthIsUp - @jalars8 has a 320 and the dealer provides the starter battery - typically a cheap, non-AGM.
    Thanks, @Sharon_is_SAM. Ah, I'm thinking the 400 world. Yep, time to replace the battery and your fridge is 3-way. The batteries are cheap enough. Lead acid and a solar panel will get you through this journey.
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD