"Boondocking" - Our First Experience Documented

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
A few months ago, our cousins said “Why don't you come down to NC this autumn & we’ll go camping for 4 or 5 days in the mountains at Julian Price on the Blue Ridge where we camped as kids.”  “Sounds great!” we replied, that is, until we found out there were no hookups and realized we would never make it beyond a day or two with the standard group 24 marine battery as our only power source.  In our entire first year of T@B ownership we had enjoyed staying in 9 different campgrounds, mostly state parks but all with hookups, and we never even made it out of Virginia.  That's when I began thinking & reading more seriously about a new battery & a solar panel.  

After lots of forum study, searching & reading what experienced boondockers had to say, and thinking about our own needs, we decided to get a single 150AH 12V golf cart battery, a 100W solar panel, smart solar charge controller and a smart battery monitor.  I spent the next couple of months getting these modifications installed, as I have previously documented (see links at bottom).

I am happy to now report that our first boondocking* trip was a complete success, and thanks to our cousins, we had this beautiful site with good sun to try out our solar panel for the first time.  My careful preparations paid off nicely, and if anything, we may have been a bit overly prepared with some things, but I'm totally okay with that!

* (I use the term "boondocking" loosely, or "dry camping" if you prefer, but we were in a national park campground with limited facilities & not in the wilderness, just without any hookups at the campsite.)  We made use of a bathhouse for showers & solid waste, which effected the stats listed below, especially the gray tank.  We brought a 6-gal portable waste tank if needed to avoid an extra trip to the dump station, but never used it.

Site photos from the trip have been posted (link at bottom), but before I forget, here are some notes & stats I gathered for future reference that I found interesting – some from the Victron monitoring devices & apps, and others from my own observations..

Also, here are a few screens from the Victron Solar app that I found interesting & helpful, as the solar & battery status was relayed wirelessly in real time to my phone via bluetooth.. 

The solar panel can actually exceed the rated wattage!

Nice to be able to see a daily solar & battery history of how we were doing with power generation.

When I first saw this on the Battery Monitor app, I wondered how I could be generating 152W from a 100W panel, but then realized I snapped this screenshot just before heading home when it was mounted on the car, which was contributing amps too.  The 18AH consumed was probably a typical day’s usage.

I like how the battery history page shows at upper right the Amp-Hours used since the last charge cycle, and below that the total used for the trip.

We were fortunate to have mostly sunny days with temps mostly in the 40’s and 50’s, but ranging from upper 20’s to lower 60’s, with only about 4-5 hours at or below freezing during the last night.  One afternoon was totally overcast, and another day was sun & clouds mixed, but good sun otherwise, and we managed to recharge every day within a few hours or less.  

This screenshot is from the day before we left, which was not the coldest, but you can see the battery monitor was reporting 37° from the sensor on the battery at 8:37am.  That info, along with voltage is shared with the Solar Charge Controller via bluetooth network, so the two devices share information such that charging parameters can be adjusted & compensated for temperature changes.

A cold front blew through one night, with 40+mph wind gusts, but the solar panel with tie-downs remained solidly in place on the ground for the duration of our stay.  We kept it facing south at 36° angle (our latitude at the park)  The solar panel also survived travel on the roof of our Sienna van & remained solidly in place, as did the cables connected to the rear and to the trailer at its connection on the tongue & to the charge controller in the battery tub.

The only issue we had with high winds was not having our Pahaque visor tied down to the ground, resulting in it flipping up above the roof and banging into the antenna pole, but nothing was broken or disturbed other than our sleep, because it was a bit noisy.  We thought having the tie downs wrapped around the stabilizers would prevent this, but it did not.

We used less than half a tank of propane, which was what we started with, to run the Alde, frig, and stove.  I almost changed the tank before the last night when freezing temps were expected & the pressure gauge showed in the low zone, but knowing I had an adapter to easily connect a 1-lb canister if needed during the night, I left it on. Conveniently, it ran out during the drive home the next day with just the frig running.  I had a spare 20-lb tank, but we didn't need it.

I also brought an extra 6-gal tank for dumping excess gray water, but we didn't even fill the gray tank half way.  We also didn't need the 5-gal fresh water tank & water pump to add water, as we never ran out, but the SeeLevel showed we had zero remaining.  Beginners luck!

All things considered, we were very happy with the performance of our battery and solar panel, as well as our good fortune with propane, holding tanks, and surviving both freezing temperatures & high winds (which both happened at night while our Alde kept us nice & warm).  The daytime temps & abundant sunshine made for a pleasant trip.

Special thanks to @JKJenn Grover for “jump-starting” my battery education (her pun, not mine), and the many others here whose ideas & contributions on this forum made it possible for us to expand our adventures.  It's a real testament to the collective knowledge power of this forum (or is that “power knowledge”?).  In any case, if you've made it this far, thanks for listening, and I hope some of this will help someone at some point.

Reference Links:

Our First Boondocking Campsite Photos:

My 12V Golf Cart Battery Mod: 
(posted in @Rlethbri's topic)

My 100W Solar Setup Mod: 
(posted in @elbereth's topic)

My Solar Car Roof & Ground Mount Mods:  (posted in @elbereth's topic)
My Battery Monitor Installation Mod:

Battery Junction Box (bus bars) Added:
https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/106983

Cell Phone Signal Booster & Antenna Added:
https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/104267#Comment_104267

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• PickledChickenPickledChicken Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2019
    Great post!  We just “downsized” from a class C to a 320 cs-s and have been so much happier.  We are looking to do some NP camping this summer, so this post gives me a lot to consider.  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Welcome @PickledChicken!  Enjoy your TaB and the forum!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @PickledChicken, welcome. LOVE that! PickledChicken. Should we pass you on the road some day, we'll be the crazies, waving! Adventures await.  Happy t@bbing! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Glad you found it useful, @PickledChicken, and congrats on downsizing to a 320!
    Since you're new, if you haven't seen Jenn Grover's site with a lot of great T@B advice - see here:
    https://jenngrover.com/category/tb/
    where you'll find a recent article on "How Much Solar Do I Need?" and many others.  I learned most of what I know on this topic from her.

• PickledChickenPickledChicken Member Posts: 7
    Thank you @BrianZ for the helpful tip.  Headed over to Jenn Grover's site now!!
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    BrianZ,
    That is a nice, detailed and useful thread!  It's filled with some of the best, no-nonsense data I've read on power use.  It sounds like you did your homework and are rewarded for it!  Good on ya....
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I missed this...October was a busy month...awesome wrote up! Glad everything worked out so well for you!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Thanks, @WilliamA!  Glad you found it useful.

Thank you, @jkjenn Jenn, especially for passing along your knowledge & experience, which has paid off nicely for me. 

• dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @BrianZ Thanks to you and @jkjenn for all of this helpful advice. I am not quite ready to do the solar mod on my 320, but I know I will have tons of valuable information from the two of you when I am ready. I've always been a little skittish about doing any mods that entail messing with electricity and power. This makes me feel so much better. And @jkjenn, I'm looking forward to seeing your new solar setup at üCamp19 if you have it done the week before.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• ShadraxShadrax Member Posts: 21
    What exactly is the telescoping pole for your antenna, and where did you get it?  Thanks!
    edited March 2020
    @Shadrax, it's a 8-ft painter's pole with 3 sections from our local Lowe's hardware store..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7158/what-could-this-be-another-way-to-mount-an-antenna-pole
  • JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    I ordered on on Amazon that extends 24’..  What antenna are you using?
    edited March 2020
    Here's the link, which says not available..

[New Concept] 1byone Amplified Outdoor Antenna with Omni-Directional 360 Degree Reception, 60 Miles Indoor/Attic/Outdoor TV Antenna for FM/VHF/UHF, Tools-Free Installation, Anti-UV Coating-White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N06CBFO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NKXwEbXD0D9XZ

This appears to be the replacement..
    [1byone Concept Series] Omni Directional Outdoor TV Antenna, VHF/UHF 720° Reception UFO Clean Design Up to 150 Miles, Upgrade Exclusive Smartpass Amplified, Indoor/Outdoor/RV/Attic Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R15CW3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7MXwEbXF7W6B4

Oops, sorry, this one..
    2020 [New Version] Outdoor TV Antenna - 1byone 720°Omni-Directional Reception TV Antenna Built-in Amplifier Enhance UHF for Home/RV/Attic/Marine Up to 150 Miles with 32ft Coax Cable Free HDTV Channels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0814JBKZD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MSXwEbPQ7TQ26

• CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    Boondocking with solar in Death Valley Two 6v golf batteries are all we need if we re out for 4 or 5 days with solar to recharge them. Note - we do have a 3-way fridge that's most effect on propane. What we saved on not buying Lithium batteries more then payed for the premium solar system. 
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    Thanks for this detailed account!

Just got a 400 in December and maiden trip is next month. A question for you and everyone: in this kind of weather do you worry about your pipes freezing? Not so much while camping, as the heat is on, but while traveling/towing? Do you have to winterize before you tow in weather that might hit freezing?
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @warbler_road, the first question would be “where are you going”?  What are the expected temps? How far below freezing and how long will it be under freezing? I rely on Weatherbug and Accuweather for my hourly forecasts. The Weather Channel takes too long to load on my iPhone so I don’t use it as much. The other two apps have more localized forecasts. 

I spent the winters in Arizona for the past 5 years (not this current winter). Traveling from Indiana in December, I would stay winterized anywhere from Alabama to Central Arizona as it depended on the temps. If it was going to be under 30* (more or less) for more than 6 hours, I stayed winterized, or I winterized. And I have winterized on the road using the blow-out method to make sure I was protecting my T@B. One year I was unable to de-winterize until I got to TUCSON, AZ.

I always used the timeframe of how long it was under freezing.  6 hours or less—I’ll be OK if it will be above freezing by 9 am. 

I was winterized two years ago when I stayed in New Mexico overnight and I woke up to 21* and it wasn’t forecasted to go under 30*. 

When I am traveling and I am winterized, I am using bottled water for cooking, using paper plates or eating out, and I am using a double kitchen trash bag with kitty litter in it, inside the toilet.  No liquids go down my drains when winterized. Do some reading here because others do use the toilet and use the pink RV antifreeze. 

April can still be an “iffy” month for winterizing. I didn’t winterize last year on my way back from AZ. I left Southern AZ April 6th and I got to Indiana on April 27th (yes, it was a slow ride home with lots of site seeing).  I did not hit temps under 30* for extended times, even though I did travel through some snow in upper elevations. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    OK, thanks for the tips, people! Kitty litter -- great idea. We used to do the 5-gal bucket with kitty litter for hurricanes when we lived in Florida.

I need to get a small compressor for blowing out lines ...
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @warbler_road, I use a $50 tire inflator from Walmart, and I have used a manual old fashioned manual bike tire pump in a pinch. It doesn’t need to be much, you just need to blow out the water. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    @warbler_road, in the Winterizing section of files, the "Blow Out Method" had a suggestion for a small compressor, a Viair 70P.  I picked one up from Amazon and it worked for me.  I did it just for practice last October, since it never goes below freezing here at the beach in CA!  But, you never know when you might need to do it.  I found it a very simple process.
    The key number on a compressor is the "CFM", or cubic feet of air per minute the compressor can move.  The inexpensive compressors may not have enough "punch." The Viairs all list their CFM number once you get into the 40-60 dollar range.  You will need the proper fitting to connect the compressor to the hose fitting on the trailer. The Viair hose uses a "Shrader" fitting to screw into a car tire.  I found one of these to adapt it to the hose fitting:
    There are also videos here that proves Verna's point about a bike pump.  I have no doubt that would also work in a pinch.  Search for "Viair" here and the threads that discuss this will come up.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Our Viair 70p serves as an emergency tire inflator as well as our “blow out” tool.  Always travels with us.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    I should have given @Sharon_is_SAM all the credit for the blow out winterizing tutorial and for pointing out the goodness of the Viair compressors!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    The little Viair is perfect for the task @pthomas745!
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep. Love the Viair.

@jkjenn turned me on to it, as she'd been using it for deflating/re-flating her Jeep tires for off-roading.

Great to find one of these portables of top quality, rather than the cheap ones I'd had over the years.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Mine died late year and I replaced it with an ARB. Love it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014