Options

WeBoost Drive 4G-M Anyone?

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
edited October 2018 in Products and Accessories
Anyone using this while camping & have any opinions or advice about its utility or worth?

New weBoost Drive 4G-M 470121 Cell Phone Signal Booster for Your Car & Truck – Enhance Your Cell Phone Signal up to 32x
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVLDTJJ
-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• Options
    cafyrmancafyrman Member Posts: 25
    I have a similar, if not the same weBoost, booster.  It does work to help cell signal.  I also use mine with a Yagi antenna pointed towards the nearest tower.  You have to have the cell fairly close to the inside antenna to work.  What I find works best is to set my internet puck on the internal antenna and use wifi for everything from that.
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited October 2018
    @cafyrman Using the search field in the upper right-weboost. You’ll see many threads!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I use the Weboost and my phone as a hotspot.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    BrianZ said:
    Anyone using this while camping & have any opinions or advice about its utility or worth?

New weBoost Drive 4G-M 470121 Cell Phone Signal Booster for Your Car & Truck – Enhance Your Cell Phone Signal up to 32x
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVLDTJJ
    I have that model and it does seem to help although I haven't done any scientific testing.
    I also bought the truck antenna and have attached it to a painters pole with the intention of using it as an antenna for the T@B when I'm parked for a few days. However, I'm not sure that this was the right antenna to buy.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    I have that model and it does seem to help although I haven't done any scientific testing.
    I also bought the truck antenna and have attached it to a painters pole with the intention of using it as an antenna for the T@B when I'm parked for a few days. However, I'm not sure that this was the right antenna to buy.

I have a painter's pole for the TV antenna, so I wonder if the provided roof antenna would work mounted on the pole somehow.  Maybe use a simple L-bracket attached to the pole with a pipe clamp & stick its magnetic base on that?

There is a sticker on back of the device which says in very tiny print "BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider's consent."  I wonder what Verizon would say about that?  My guess is they'd probably want to make you pay extra for the privilege.

• Options
    Adam_HoughAdam_Hough Member Posts: 11
    I have the Drive 4G-M and just bought an extra setup of antennas for the T@b so that I can move it between the 2 when I want to set it up at camp as well.  It does work to boost the signal sometimes if there is no signal you can turn it on and have full signal.  Have used in on Rainier to place an emergency in the case of an automotive accident.  
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Well, here's how I  installed a Weboost Drive 4G-M..

Plugged in to socket above sink.  I like that the power plug has a rocker switch built-in with indicator light.  From there, the cable runs on top of the window, which seems to support it well enough.

At the opposite end of the window, I installed some cable ties in the corners.

I only put the screw through one side, to make the mount temporary, in case we want to use it in the car. 

I mounted the amplifier on the wall above the door, because it provides a strategic location between the power source in kitchen, the outside antenna whose cable goes out through the doorway, and the inside antenna mounted in the rear, whose cable is seen running above the side window.

Inside antenna mounted at center line above the rear bench seat near location of cell phone usage.

This location also allowed excess power cord & transformer box to be stored in the corner of the cabinet.

The amplifier box rests on the top of the door frame, so I only needed to install two hanger bolts to fasten it in place.  The hanger bolts have a wood screw on one end & threaded bolt on the other end where I used a capped nut for either a temporary or permanent mount that is easily removed by hand.

Since there is no metal roof outside for the magnetic antenna, I added a metal "ground plane" to my painter pole TV antenna mast by adding two L-brackets to the TV antenna's U-bolt mounting for bolting on an old baking pan made of ferrous metal to reflect the signal to the antenna.
    Because the amplifier is close to the doorway and near the antenna mast location, I should be able to get at least 10ft of height above the roof.  To be tested soon.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    BrianZ said:
    Marceline said:

I have a painter's pole for the TV antenna, so I wonder if the provided roof antenna would work mounted on the pole somehow.  Maybe use a simple L-bracket attached to the pole with a pipe clamp & stick its magnetic base on that?

There is a sticker on back of the device which says in very tiny print "BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider's consent."  I wonder what Verizon would say about that?  My guess is they'd probably want to make you pay extra for the privilege.

It will interesting to see if that antenna arrangement works. I bought the truck antenna because it doesn't require a steel ground plane and I thought that it would be easier to have two separate antennas and just move the boost unit & internal antenna between vehicles. I don't know that the truck antenna was necessarily the best choice, though.

I think that @Verna might also use a WeBoost.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Good idea, @Marceline, about using two antennas.  If the truck antenna wasn't the best, was that due to its mounting requirements, or the reception?
    I have seen on the manufacturer's site that for mounting on a non-metal surface, you only need a 4-inch diameter piece of ferrous metal underneath to reflect the signal up into the magnetic antenna.
  • Options
    DeltaPopDeltaPop Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2018
    One suggestion for your consideration:
    The metal “L” brackets will act as a reflector and distort the omnidirectional performance of the antenna. With a reflector configuration it will require rotating the antenna to peak the signal. 
    The plots below show the antenna pattern of a vertical antenna with a reflector and without.
    If omnidirectional performance is the goal, I suggest mounting the “L” bracket under the ground plane so the antenna has a360 degree clear view of the horizon. 
    Don & Mary
    2018 Tab 400
    2019 Tundra CM
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    Good idea, @Marceline, about using two antennas.  If the truck antenna wasn't the best, was that due to its mounting requirements, or the reception?
    I have seen on the manufacturer's site that for mounting on a non-metal surface, you only need a 4-inch diameter piece of ferrous metal underneath to reflect the signal up into the magnetic antenna.
    Since I only use the T@B antenna when the T@B is parked, there is really no reason that it has to be a mobile (truck) antenna. I probably should have looked at the stationary options, too. But I was pressed for time when I made my purchase, so I bought the truck antenna without doing much research.
    https://www.weboost.com/accessories/outdoor-antennas
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Thanks, @DeltaPop, very good info!
    I am using it right now and went from 3g with 1 bar to 4G with 3 bars, which made the difference whether my browser was connecting or not.  Based on direction I believe the nearest tower is located from this campground, I thing I'm using one side of that plot.  Not sure I want to redesign, but at least now I know how to plan for that limitation.

• Options
    BrianZ said:
    Thanks, @DeltaPop, very good info!
    I am using it right now and went from 3g with 1 bar to 4G with 3 bars, which made the difference whether my browser was connecting or not.  Based on direction I believe the nearest tower is located from this campground, I thing I'm using one side of that plot.  Not sure I want to redesign, but at least now I know how to plan for that limitation.

This is where I found it most useful, too, boosting a weak signal. I think people expect miracles out of these things, sometimes. It enabled me to work remotely, which made it possible to be remote. 😁

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RayWardJRRayWardJR Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    ex T@G owner, newly T@B owner... I work in remote areas in the oilfield with little to no cell service.  I CONSTANLY play with boosters and antennas to be able to talk to loved ones.   In my truck, I use this kit...  I went from not being able to make a call to talking just fine and using the internet. 

https://www.wilsonproway.com/wilson-weboost-470210-drive-4g-x-otr-cell-phone-signal-booster-for-trucks/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw08XeBRC0ARIsAP_gaQBxS19_XeVcseEptmh6rpca7sI1jIH0msbpwyqaqqWlT43vR_iVrsQaApodEALw_wcB   

A friend of mine has the same booster minus the trucker antenna, just the little antenna and he can't make a phone call in remote areas.  I can park next to him and use my phone inside my truck just fine with the better antenna. A good antenna is everything... 

On my T@g I used (2) 8ft threaded black pipe from Lowe's to get the antenna in the air and using a Wilson Yagi antenna. I welded a 3/8 collar plate that I bolted to the (3) bolts around the tongue.  I then threaded my antenna pole into the collar.  I used a tagline to help control the sway in strong winds.  You have to have some signal to be able to boost it, you can't boost nothing.  Don't look at the bars on your phone, go into your settings/about phone and look at the actual true reading the phone is receiving. I use (2) free apps to help aim the Yagi antenna... Open Signal and Network Cell Info Lite.  Just aiming at the closest cell tower you see doesn't help.  You need the closest tower of your provider.  I also swapped the AC power supply for the 12v version so I could make a call without needing electricity. 

As a backup I always carry a Garmin InReach GPS with satellite texting.  In areas and parks with no service, I link my cell phone via bluetooth to the GPS and am able to text back and forth and receive weather updates.   I just need a clear line of site of the sky.  I usually place the gps in the window and then text on my phone through the Garmin app like normal... 

On the higher powered boosters there is a distance you need to keep between the two antenna (inside and outside). This will be lined out in the manual.  On the higher priced boosters you'll have lights or a display that will tell you if you're up to optimal performance. 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome to the forum @RayWardJR and thanks for this good information!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Marceline said:
    BrianZ said:
    Marceline said:

It will interesting to see if that antenna arrangement works. I bought the truck antenna because it doesn't require a steel ground plane and I thought that it would be easier to have two separate antennas and just move the boost unit & internal antenna between vehicles. I don't know that the truck antenna was necessarily the best choice, though.

I think that @Verna might also use a WeBoost.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5161/weboost-drive-4g-s-cell-phone-signal-boost-for-a-single-cell-phone/p1

I use an old horseshoe inside my T@B for a ground plane. Yes, it goes against all I was ever taught about a ground plane, but it works. Check out the above link for my original write-up. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for all those great tips, @RayWardJR, especially about the antenna & the apps look useful too (and necessary for a directional antenna).  Had heard about using a yagi antenna, but didn't realize the Wilson one is designed to work at multiple cellular frquencies.  My booster has four lights & they've always been green, so I guess my arrangement documented above provides good separation between the pair of Antennas.  I've noticed its solid metal case does get quite warm, which made me even more amp-conscious while boondocking, not that it was a problem.

I had better luck the first day I tried the booster last week, but over the next few days found the signal to be quite spotty at the campground in the mountains - sometimes there & sometimes not.  Not sure if the weather had anything to do with it, or maybe playing with the antenna direction didn't help.  In any case, I think I will be adding this..
    https://www.wilsonproway.com/wilson-314411-4g-3g-outdoor-pole-mount-directional-lpda-antenna-50-ohm-n-female/
    Correction, this one, because it's much cheaper..
    Wilson Electronics Wideband Directional Antenna 700-2700 MHz, 50 Ohm (314411) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J14YEHQ

Hey @Verna, do you think Elsie in the Parts Dept could send me one of those Amish horseshoes?

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @BrianZ, I did get the horseshoe at the first üCamp. I’ll be betting Elsie could get one for you....for shipping and handling, and maybe a token of your appreciation ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks again, @RayWardJR.
    I got the Wilson directional antenna on Amazon, and it comes with two U-bolts & hardware for mounting it to a pole.

Also found these two additional parts needed to connect this Yagi antenna to the booster unit. (Because the cable that comes with the booster is not detachable from the little magnetic car antenna)..  This is the same type cable but longer & has connectors on both ends..

● Superbat RF coaxial SMA Male to SMA Female Bulkhead RG174 15ft Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FC8PVZS

And this adapter connects the above cable's SMA female connector to the antenna's larger N-type female connector..

● Maxmoral N type Male To SMA Male Convertor Wi-Fi Adaptor Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFHRW4N

And since the cable is the same thin flexible type RG174, I plan to still run it out through the doorway, which has rubber gaskets to protect it from sharp edges.
    Hoping to have at least one last chance to try it out at a campsite before shutting down for the winter.

• Options
    I would add that some of these remote towers that experience higher levels of tourist traffic, can become painfully slow during heavy usage times. I learned that camping around Twin Lakes and Buena Vista. I had good signal, but on Friday afternoons, especially before a holiday, it almost halted. Once I retreated to the BV Library to work.

I have both the omni-directional and trucker ante mas but have yet to use them since I am working remotely and have not bothered to use them on vacation.

I also used the apps as well as scouring the web to find areas with documented good reception. 

I also have the Garmin inReach and it has been useful to check in with loved ones when totally off of the grid.

I see more and more where boondocking site abuse has led to shut down of those sites. I hope there are still plenty left when I am free to roam, again.

• Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    I know this is older content / article but I'm digging through the site to do a bit of research on what I want to do.. One question that came up for me was "wow, there's a lot of VERY similar looking / specced options on Amazon / from WeBoost"

I worked a bit to try and decode the differences. Some folks here on this site (as well as this article) talked about different antennas (and that's super useful info.. like considerations for grounding plates, window mount vs magnetic, directional vs omni etc..

However I either missed or the info wsn't mentioned.. what's the deal with all those nuances with WeBoost models...

It looks like a lot of it has to do with the antenna system .. some kits meant more for car/truck use have a cradle for the phone.. likely deliberately low power internal antenna for said cradled device.. vs some models that are more RV or even house friendly with more powerful internal antennae

However, I finally found one big difference.. what's the X vs M designation.. these models look SO similar .... and I found a blog page at the manufacturer that does a great job

TL:DR: the -M models are not quite as powerful/long range boosting as the X.. 

after reading that article I'm going to concentrate my own efforts on a 4gx model.. now to figure out if I want to do the "Moving" vs "stationary"  setup (omni antenna vs something I have to directionally point, but with the benefit of possibly pulling out a bit more signal from distant towers)

If I can work out a decent speed connection, can find ways to reduce my bandwidth usage on most days at work (save the heavy bandwidth stuff for the .. "in park with hookups and wifi" or "plonk down at Panera/McDonalds/Starbucks/etc and use their wifi for a bit" .. I think I could really pull off being able to work remotely a lot..  like not full timing, but good golly I could make sure I felt I was getting my money's worth out of Binky in short order :)

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past