Options

Lithium Battery (LiFePO4) Venting and Battery Box Questions

ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
I'm going to replace my AGM batteries with Lithium.
A couple of questions you all might have the answers for:
1) Do LiFePO4 batteries require venting? I'm trying to determine if I need to keep the existing venting the factory provided for the AGM batteries. My preference would be to at least close off the vent through floor.
2) Does anyone know why the factory battery box is raised off the floor via three wood blocks (see photo)? 
The Lithium batteries will be 87lbs, replacing two 6V AGM Harris batteries that weigh a combined 130lbs.
My preference would be to just install the Lithium batteries directly on the floor.

Thanks in advance!
After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    LiFePO4 batteries do not need to be vented and most can be mounted in any position. I changed mine over and moved them inside under the passenger bench in my 2021 320S. There are no vents.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
    No venting required. I used the original straps to hold my new 200ah battery down and it fits in pretty much the same footprint as the two sixes. The really cool thing is there is no need to have batteries on a minder. Once charged you can turn the battery switch off and they will hold their charge. For longer storage they need to be discharged to about 60%. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle. 
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited October 2023
    As others have already indicated, LiFePO4 batteries do not require venting and are agnostic regarding orientation. It seems most of us install them with the terminals facing up however, and the passenger-side bench is a popular location for a pair for many 320 owners.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    @CharlieRN you gave me an idea to explore mounting my Dr. Prepare Powermax battery on its side to make its hub more accessible. I'll have to play with it and see if that's viable.

Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    bjn2 said:
    @CharlieRN you gave me an idea to explore mounting my Dr. Prepare Powermax battery on its side to make its hub more accessible. I'll have to play with it and see if that's viable.

@bjn2, but I'm curious why you chose the Dr Prepare with the hub for your T@B? I have one for the back of my Jeep to power a second chest fridge, but the models without the hub for our T@B.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 490
    The reason the battery box is raised at its front edge is that the floor rises up under the battery box.  This keeps the bottom of the battery box flat.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    @AnOldUR, I got a recommendation and watched a couple of positive reviews before I had enough knowledge to make a more informed purchase. I'd get one or two of their regular LiFePo 100AH batteries now. I got it moved inside as of yesterday. I used its mounting brackets normally. The hub's not ideally located, but can be used in a pinch. It's really only useful to me for its MPPP controller to connect a second portable solar panel. I'll probably extend the OEM solar wires that go to the tub in order to craft an exterior solar port for it without putting a new hole in the trailer. 
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock