Options

2018 Norcold Rerigerator N180.3

3 way refer, will start in any mode and will cool down to well below 30 degrees.  After about 12 hours it stops cooling.  Have checked, Thermcontrol, gas flame but now thinking possible Thermostat Control.  Anyone with any suggestions would be so helpful.  Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    For N180.3 Fridge the thermostat (dial on front control panel) only works when the Fridge is in 120VAC, shore power, mode.

When using propane or 12VDC** the user must monitor Fridge temperature and adjust the propane flame dial as needed to change the fridge temperature.

As for the Fridge stopping after 12-hours - - - no idea for now on why.

**12V operation is not recommended due to its high current demand.  Lots of forum threads
               on using the 12V mode.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 450
    I had this issue with a different fridge in a previous RV. This particular fridge uses the more common design with an electronic control board that turns on/off 120V AC or gas as needed. The control board failed and kept the heat source on indefinitely which made the cooling unit go into "overdrive" where it heats up so much that it stops working. You might have a similar issue where the gas flame is turned up too much or the AC heater is running far more than needed. The DC heater is typically pretty weak but it runs continuously so possibly it could cause the issue as well. 
  • Options
    LynErLynEr Member Posts: 6
    Thank you both for your insight.  So MuttonChops, you are saying the Propane dislike adjusts temps when on DC?  I was totally unaware of that.
    Grumpy, when using shore power, the fridge is cold at (20 degrees on coolest mark).  Propane and dc starts out cold and then stops cooling.  I am not sure where there might be a circuit board to replace.
  • Options
    Sorry word error...meant propane dial.
    Have only located Thermostate control unit not an electronic control board...where would that be?
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 450
    Sorry I didn't explain this correctly, the failed fridge was not a Norcold as used in the T@b. You're correct that your fridge does not have an electronic control board. Because of this the temperature control is different in different modes as @MuttonChops wrote: On AC power a thermostat is used (and you confirmed it works), on propane the knob directly adjusts the size of the flame in the burner, and DC does not have any adjustment (the DC mode is meant to be used for a few hours when traveling).

On propane try turning down the fridge to a low setting after initial cool down and see if the problem persists.
  • Options
    Thanks again for your input