Options

No TV Reception

Hi, I just bought my T@B January 2015 and I just took it out for the first time this past weekend. All went well, but for the life of me, I can't figure out the tv! I did the air scan numerous times, the cable is connected in the back which I assume goes to the little black antennae on the left side of the trailer.  What the heck and I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Robyn

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Robyn, while I don't own a T@B, my understanding is the antenna on the side is for the entertainment center, or radio.  There should be an antenna connection also on the outside of the T@B that you would need to run a coaxial cable either to a satellite or cable TV or an external antenna.  I have an internal antenna called a Leaf that gets me local over-the-air channels within 30 miles, more or less.  I also keep a 50' coaxial cable with me to connect to the campground's cable TV (if available), or to my satellite antenna. 

So, look on the outside of the T@B for a small round or square connection that looks like a cable connection.  This is where you need to connect to.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna is exactly right! TV antennas vary in price. I have a cheap little $12 one from Amazon, others have Wingate antennas that come in around $50. Some campgrounds that offer cull hook ups offer cable. From the best I can tell, many national and state parks won't get reception unless you go the satellite route.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Digital TV doesn't have the range that the old analog signals had and it's generally line of sight. A powered antenna has better range than non-powered. The downside is it takes power. If you go powered, make sure you get a DC powered version - the AC versions are for home use.
    I've got a cheapo non powered and have given up getting any reception unless I'm really close to a city/antenna
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I use a Rayzar and as noted the antennas are "line of sight" and unless you are near a large metropolitan area your reception will be limited.  Take some DVD's and pack a few bottles of good wine and you'll be good to go.  

They are available in the Teardrop Shop.  

Winegard Rayzar Non-Amplified TV Antenna
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! It sounds like a simple fix now that I know what the problem is. Thanks for the reminder on the powered vs nonpowered versions also.  Time to go shopping!  I'm kind of a news junkie, so I hope to at least be able to tune in for some local news.  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Shopping - Just be aware that the powered antennas you find in places like Walmart or BestBuy are AC powered.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Jenn..I believe on an earlier post, you provided the link to Amazon for the antenna you purchased. Would you mind providing it again? Thx
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    cbarnhill said:
    Jenn..I believe on an earlier post, you provided the link to Amazon for the antenna you purchased. Would you mind providing it again? Thx

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y2898U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    we are news junkies too but we found if we couldn't get TV reception we could usually get something on the Jenson radio
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    robyn769 said:
    I'm kind of a news junkie, so I hope to at least be able to tune in for some local news.  

Me, too. I wish Sirius didn't charge the same price per unit. That would be a great solution. There is no way I will pay the fee twice, though.

• Options
    For anyone who uses the Rayzer or Windward, and were at Tearstock, were you able to get reception?

• Options
    Jenn, I didn't get back inside the Silver Shadow early enough to watch TV at Tearstock.  We all sat around talking until after 11 every night.  It was get in bed and go right to sleep.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    BonnieBonnie Member Posts: 6
    Robyn:  The little black antennae you referred to,  is for the radio reception, not the TV.  I used an amplified Rayzar leaf and fixed it with a suction cup to the side of my T@B  facing towards the nearest city I new of and got 11 channels.  I was about 50 miles from that direction, and thankfully, distance was over water so probably no interference.  Was super happy with it.

Bonnie K

2015 T@B MAX S  TV Cad SRX

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Actually Sirius does have something known as "family pricing" We have 6 radios on our account, and pay a smaller amount for the extra units. Before I got my new truck with built in Sirius, I had a portable unit that I moved between the truck and T@B. I installed a cradle and antenna in my T@B and wired the cradle to my radio with an FM modulator (or something to that effect).

My new truck has built in Sirius, so I got a permanent XM receiver and new radio for the T@B.

Another option is to get the Sirius online and download the Sirius app to your phone. I "think" you can attach your phone to the aux on your T@B radio and run it through your speakers.

As far as TV antenna when no cable is available. I have a Wineguard Hideway antenna that I mounted to a 6ft piece of electrical conduit. I pound a 2 ft piece of rebar into the ground and slide the conduit over the piece of rebar. With 50ft of coax, I can position the antenna to the best advantage.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Actually Sirius does have something known as "family pricing" We have 6 radios on our account, and pay a smaller amount for the extra units. Before I got my new truck with built in Sirius, I had a portable unit that I moved between the truck and T@B. I installed a cradle and antenna in my T@B and wired the cradle to my radio with an FM modulator (or something to that effect).

My new truck has built in Sirius, so I got a permanent XM receiver and new radio for the T@B.

Another option is to get the Sirius online and download the Sirius app to your phone. I "think" you can attach your phone to the aux on your T@B radio and run it through your speakers.

As far as TV antenna when no cable is available. I have a Wineguard Hideway antenna that I mounted to a 6ft piece of electrical conduit. I pound a 2 ft piece of rebar into the ground and slide the conduit over the piece of rebar. With 50ft of coax, I can position the antenna to the best advantage.
    I will have to call them, again. Last time they told me it was full price for a second unit. Streaming probably won't be too great in some of the areas where I go and it is a limited line up. I really do enjoy it in the Jeep, though.

• Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I have a cable TV question.  At the last campground, which offered cable TV, I connected my coax cable to the post and to my T@B.  With the remote, I followed the Jensen instructions and Sourced to AV, but there was nothing.  I tried all the other Sources (TV, HDMI, etc.).  Am I missing a piece to the puzzle?  I didn't get to ask the owners of the campground about it before I left, so am just wondering for next time.  
  • Options
    You should have used the source of TV, and then there is another screen where you need to select cable (air would be for an external antenna), and then you need to let the TV auto select the available channels. After you've done a couple of times, it becomes old hat.;). AV would be audio visual, HDMI would be using the HDMI plug in the TV, DVD is self explanatory, and I forget the rest...
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Verna, that makes sense. Thank you. 
  • Options
    Don't forget to scan for channels, too.

• Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    I used a basic antenna for a very old Sony TV.  I received all the channels the same as my other TV with a high priced digital antenna.  I believe the reception depends on location.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    jkjenn said:
    cbarnhill said:

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y2898U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks both of you!  I just ordered one, now let's see if I'm ever inside long enough to watch TV!
    Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    The Jensen TV's aren't the most user friendly. As noted, source is TV, then scan foe channels based on cable. You have to do this each time you relocate and the availbale channels are different. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    mawebb said:
    The Jensen TV's aren't the most user friendly. As noted, source is TV, then scan foe channels based on cable. You have to do this each time you relocate and the availbale channels are different. 
    Martin, the Jensen's menu is identical to the NAXA and to the other brand name I had in my Silver Shadow.  It almost seems to be an industry wide standard (yeah, hard to believe!) to get to over the air HD signals or to get to the portable satellite menu. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2015
    I watched DVD's when I was up in Alaska and only had a cable hook-up once on the trip.  It was nice to be out of the national news lime light for 5 weeks and never missed it at all!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Only time the TV ever comes on is if we are in a torrential rain storm.  Always a good time for a Syrah and a good old movie to compliment the retro-ness.
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    Night time comes early in the Arizona desert.  Computer games get old, you can only read so much, there's not much local TV (and I really don't want to watch the news...), but NCIS reruns on DVD's don't get old!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Point well taken, Verna!  Gotta love watching' Gibbs.
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    Not to HiJack, Love the program too, but Abby's line of "Gibs, Gibs, Gibs, Gibs, Gibs" is wearing a little thin.
    Verna, feel free to delete.
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
  • Options
    TaBFan said:
    Not to HiJack, Love the program too, but Abby's line of "Gibs, Gibs, Gibs, Gibs, Gibs" is wearing a little thin.
    Verna, feel free to delete.
    We're all entitled your opinions. I think Abby's character is a riot!  ("JINORMOUS" is the word that I catch people using....) Gibbs is my favorite, but I miss Kate, Ziva, Mike France, and the other characters from early years. 

Now back to TV in the T@B.  The Jenson can be used for DVD's, no matter what your selection. Personally, when I'm boon docking, I use a portable DVD player so I can conserve my battery and so I don't have to get up out of my warm bed to change DVD's. Of course, this experience is from last winter in AZ in my Silver Shadow when I only had heat if I had an electrical hookup. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN