Options

Rooftop vent cap, it's gone man, gone!

We're heading into winter here (it's not even getting out of the 30Fs all week) and today we discovered the vent cover for one of the roof vents departed our camper at some point.  I THOUGHT it was the cap for the fridge, but now I'm thinking it's the sewer drain vent for the bath, but regardless it needs to get capped.

I'm going to try, to get us through to the spring when it'll be warmer and easier to work on, just putting the cap part on, I'm presuming the "post" sticking up by the vent proper is the screw and part of the old cap.  My thought if I can't do that for some reason, is to buy a plumbing pipe cap, and run a couple screws through from the sides into the sides of the cap (below the broken clips sticking up,) then remove and replace the assembly in the spring.

Basically, looking for suggestions to cap this off for the winter.  We did winterize the camper, blew out the plumbing and put in the antifreeze so hopefully the antifreeze hasn't been "flushed out" of any of the drains this might lead too.

----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    The good news is we're not going out camping soon.  I took the cap from a replacement vent cover and screwed it down on the (as I realized once I was up there) broken post (not quite broken OFF, but barely held on) and running a couple screws from the new cover through the "click on" stands to make it a bit more secure.

Our next step is going to be calling an RV parts and service shop (little mom-and-pop place local to us,) to see what they'd charge and when they can get us in, if they're more than we're willing to pay or can't get us in basically in the next day or two, we're going to (finally) use the camper cover we bought a couple years ago that's been in the box and in the spring we'll replace the cover ourselves.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Were you driving thru Missouri in the past couple months? I saw one flapping in the breeze and tried to get the driver’s attention and they wouldn’t engage. We were even pulling our cute T@B.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    @ColleenD2 nope, never been to Missouri, so it wasn't us!   :)

We were going to do all our camper maintenance in April (replace the vent, re-lube the axles, general cleanup) but if we get a nice weekend in March we're going to at least get the vent done then.
    Jay and Kat
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Very common to lose.  Amazon, Camping World, maybe even Walmart.  Yes, a sewer vent cap.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.