Options

Gas failure, again?

I’m in learning mode constantly since acquiring my tab 2018 320S. Now I’m puzzled by the gas failure message, even though I’ve read many conversations here about it. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

Originally upon buying my first tab this spring and seeing the failure message, I replaced the regulator. The stove and fridge work fine on both electricity and gas, and the Alde has worked sometimes on gas and so far always on AC. Recently, using the soap bubble method, I found that the pigtail was leaking.

Today, I replaced that and checked for leaks - none, yay! I’m plugged into house power so I can switch and try different things. The stove and fridge work well on gas. The Alde on gas worked great for about 15 mins and I was very happy until:

Having solved that problem, I decided to try to fix the “fantastic” fan that had stopped working. I replaced the 4A fuse that pops out of the fan, but no change. I opened the converter and found a 10A fuse that said ceiling fan, AC fan, and Alde.

So while the Alde was running on gas, I took out the10A fuse and then reinserted it. The AC fan worked so I assumed the fuse was actually still good. However, with the fuse out, the Alde had stopped running. I turned off the gas and ever so slowly reopened it and tried a few times to run the Alde on gas. 

I’ve been starting the stove and then also the fridge to try to make sure gas is flowing, and then trying Alde. It turns on and clicks a few times, and after a minute or so, it shuts off and the gas failure message appears. 

It works fine on AC power, so I don’t think a fuse blew to the Alde. I tried turning off the battery for a minute too, to reset the 12v power. 

I believe there is a simple and crucial piece I’m missing, (like when I had the valves set wrong and couldn’t get hot water) but I havent been able to figure it out. You can probably tell that I have no idea what I’m doing but I so appreciate your suggestions! This group is amazing.
~Mary

Comments

• Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 465
    I hate to agree but it sounds you have no idea what you're doing ... ;) J/k but one thing that drives me nuts (as I did troubleshoot complex systems for a living) is when random things get turned off and on, fuses are pulled etc.. E.g. you turned the gas off and on after the Alde system was already working on propane before you pulled the fuse. Why would pulling a fuse affect the propane supply ? 

Here's what I would try: Disconnect shore power, then disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes. Turn on battery, make sure propane works via the stove (keep it on) but keep the Alde system off. Remove the cushion above the Alde unit so you can hear what's happening. Turn on Alde in heating mode, the circulation pump should run and the boiler should try to get the gas heater lit. There is a "whomp" noise when the gas ignites. If it continues to make a ticking sound from the igniter and ultimately fail there is a problem with the propane supply. That could be low pressure (the Alde heater uses more propane than the fridge or stove) or the valve not working. If it's low pressure the stove flame will change when the Alde opens the gas valve. 

• Options
    LeoniLeoni Member Posts: 9
    Thank you, Grumpy G. I tried your steps as above and I now have heat on propane and the ceiling fan comes on. 

I’m completely baffled as to why unplugging from shore power and turning the battery off for a few minutes made the Alde work on propane and reset the ceiling fan. Is there a description somewhere of how these systems work together? I’d like to understand them.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    @Leoni, something that will help as you learn how to operate the TaB is always turn off the Alde at the control panel before unplugging from shorepower.  If left in the “on” mode, a surge may blow the Alde fuse the next time you connect to shorepower.

The Alde control panel runs off 12V and runs while the Alde uses LPG or AC.  When you removed the 10 amp fuse, you interrupted the supply to the control panel which controls the electronics to operate the Alde.  By turning off shorepower (which ultimately supplies 12V power to all the appliances via the converter) and turning off battery power, it allows the Alde to “reset” which allowed the control panel to resume operation.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    That makes sense to me. I will be sure to turn it off before disconnecting. It’s a relief to have everything working and a place to go for advice. TY!
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 358
    There are two ways of operating the Alde heat; propane or 110v electric. By disconnecting external power you prevent the use of electric heat. Turning off the battery for a moment or two will let the Alde reset (or reboot if you prefer the term). Turned on without external power, the Alde unit will only use propane.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    I guess everything needs a nap from time to time! Thanks 😁