Options

Loose "bolts" attaching tongue to trailer

I recently noticed that I could hand spin the two "bolts" that are part of the bracket that attaches the tongue of my 2021 TAB400 to the body.
The bolts on the other side do not spin. They don't look like normal bolts. Any idea as to how to tighten them? Thx, Mark
2021 T@B400 Boondock
2008 Toyota Tacoma
Silver Spring, Maryland

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    They're called huck bolts and once assembled should not loosen up. We had several fail on our 320S. I drilled them out and put in 5/16-18 bolts with nylon locking nuts.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    madtroutmadtrout Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for the info. Always an adventure with NuCamp
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    I had the same basic issue, but with the huck bolts that attach the frame farther back just behind the door.  I had them replaced with stronger bolts last summer.  (I can't remember exactly the size, but I learned a lot from previous posts on this).  This is @AnOldUR thread from before.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks for that additional info. I'll have to wait til the snow melts to get under the trailer and remove the bottom cover to get access to the loose Huckbolts and replace them. Can you imagine owning a NuCamp product and not being mechanically inclined? NuCamp seems to have really deep-seated Quality Control issues.
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • Options
    edited January 27
    madtrout said:
    ... NuCamp seems to have really deep-seated Quality Control issues.
    nuCamp is not perfect, but I don't agree with this statement. Social media can take a rare problem and amplify it to where it can appear to be the norm. The good thing is that potential problems are brought to their attention sooner so that they can be evaluated and acted upon.

I'm fairly certain that nuCamp is not directly responsible for this, but can demand more from their suppliers when issues are found.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    I agree with @AnOldUR.  We've owned our 400 for almost 4 years now and have yet to have any real issues with the quality.  Just a few minor things here and there.  I constantly look at other RVs, online and in person, and keep coming back to our T@b.  While nothing is perfect the quality of the NuCamp products is head and shoulders above most other manufacturers.  And the support they give is also at the very top of the list in my opinion.  

As far as the huck bolts go, I do make it a point to check all that I can see in my Spring inspection.  On our trailer they all have a matching mark on the bolt and the frame so you can tell you if they have rotated with a quick visual inspection.  But I generally try to get my hand on them as well.  But I can see your disappointment in finding some loose ones.  I know I would be upset if I found that.  But as the frames come from another manufacturer it is not an issue with NuCamp.  I would certainly contact NuCamp and send them photos of what you found.  Maybe there was a batch of frames that had an issue or maybe it was just a one off?  But anyway I would certainly contact them and get their opinion on the matter. Please let us know how the fix comes out.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Hi bergger, Thanks for your input. I'm glad you have had few troubles with your TAB. 
    Our's was a Covid build in 2020, and while we love our TAB and have put over 15,000 miles on it,  we have had numerous problems. We even had to have the factory replace our black tank. We've had numerous leaks, warped cabinetry, and the refrigerator had to be replaced. That said, NuCamp has fixed everything under warranty even after the expiration of the warranty. We do love our TAB, but it is not without its faults.
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,191
    @madtrout I get your frustration as we also had NUMEROUS issues (including some safety issues) with our 2021 400. To the point that I'm not sure we'd entertain buying another BRAND NEW rig but maybe a used one that somebody else has worked out all the kinks.

With that said, I do have to say Nucamp went above and beyond making what they could right. They sent numerous replacement parts (several pieces of cabinetry which had to be extremely expensive to ship). They even compensated me for my time that I spent fixing things and relied on my honesty of hours spent to reimburse me. I doubt any other manufacturer would've done that.

So it's hard to fault them at least on their corrective measures but yes, the quality control in the RV industry is non-existent. I think most manufacturers take a book from Detroit automakers in the 70s...just get it out the door and we'll fix it when something eventually breaks.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Just heard back from NuCamp about this. Here is their response:

Hi Mark,

I would want this checked out by a technician, preferably a mobile technician to ensure it is safe to tow. We won't be able to provide DIY instructions as we would need to be on site to inspect the unit to be sure. 

Best Regards,
    Creed Hostetler
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • Options
    The reply you got @madtrout is different than what Creed told me a year and a half ago. Possibly because I presented him with a method to correct the problem as apposed to asking for one?

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    edited January 29
    I think I'll fix it your way. Seems pretty straight forward. Thanks, Mark
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland
  • Options
    A little fun with the right angle grinder made quick work of the huckbolts. I drilled the holes out to 5/16 and installed grade 8 hardware. Seemed a little bit of overkill, but all is fixed nicely now. Let hope the TAB leaves me alone until camping season starts.
    2021 T@B400 Boondock
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Silver Spring, Maryland