Options

Towing with a Honda Ridgeline

We recently purchased a 2020 Honda Ridgeline to pull our T@B 320 CSS.  Anyone have experience towing with a Ridgeline?  We're curious to hear from owners how it handles, brakes, etc.  Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    brianbbrianb Member Posts: 8
    We have a 21 Ridgeline towing a 21 320S. Coming up on our 4th summer of camping and in my opinion the Ridgeline has served us very well. We do not tow in mountainous areas so I cannot comment there.

Love 320 is the same width as the Ridgeline so seeing vehicles behind traveling behind has not been a problem and quickly decided that rear camera not necessary. Bed sides are reasonably low and easy to grab things from the bed from the sides. Braking no problem with our Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller. I'm a cautious driver so handling has never been an issue. Mileage ranges 13-15 litres/100km (15.5-18mpg). With the back seats folded up, we have more than enough storage space for the 2 of us that does not fit in the trailer. 

Most of the time when towing, I forget there is a trailer behind us. Only when accelerating do I become aware of the 320.

Which reminds me, time to soon start booking those summer sites....
    2021 TAB320S Boondock
    2021 Ridgeline
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 181
    @Canyoneer, we've towed our 2018 320S over 75,000 miles with our 2020 Honda Ridegline AWD. 5000 lb towing capacity is great for our camper. Love it. Smoothest riding truck I've ever driven...flip split back seat and trunk is great. Nice ride height so easier to get in and out of than some trucks. Same with reaching over side of bed to get things. The dual function tailgate is handy too. Have the OEM tonneau cover to keep stuff stored secure. Most of time never even notice the camper is there unless in the mountains. Get used to using sport mode and manually shifting the tranny in the mountains. Older Ridgeline sometimes had problems with getting too hot in the mountains but it didn't have the new 9 speed transmission that came out in 2020. Haven't had any problems with it overheating on trips to Colorado Rockies. Four wheel disc brakes are great for stopping it. Gas mileage is usually about 10 mpg less when pulling the camper...more in a headwind. Generally 18mpg on flat terrain 15mpg going into a headwind. If real strong wind even less. Don't have the model with navigation so use a Garmin GPS in case we're in an area with no phone service. Also use Garmin backup camera so don't have to have different screen. Can use the backup camera as both a rear view mirror when going down the road and additional help when backing camper up. Tried the wireless brake controller but went thru 2 of them and gave us fits so switch to a ReDarc wired one. Like it because the unit fits out of the way of your knees under the dash and the control button fits perfectly in a blank panel in the dash.  Been in all kinds of windy situations and never have experienced the need for a sway bar. My only complaint with my Ridgeline is the electronics. Have had the radar unit and alarm control unit go out recently. Also would be nice to have a 12v and USB connection in back of the console and one in the bed (probably end up installing them myself). We carry an ICECO 20 frig/freezer in back seat with us. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods