Options

Dicor curing question / vent cap replacement

Sometime next month, we need to replace our sewer vent cap.  The old one got torn off at some point when we last put the camper into winter storage, so as a short term fix we rednecked a cap over the opening and then put a camper cover over that.

So looking on Dicors' site for the lap sealant, they state it skins over in 5 mins and is waterproof in 4 hours (presuming the temp is between 50 and 70F.)  My concern is, we're in Michigan.  We might start the project with sunny skies and warm, but before the end of the day, we might be staring at rain.  So for those who've used Dicor before, the question we have is, once we've got it on and it's at least past the skinned over stage, if the weather is threatening to turn to rain, could we throw our camper cover over the camper and let it sit overnight, or should we plan to change our plan to work on the camper waiting for a clear weekend?
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,007
    I've never used lap sealant but have used many other types of caulk to seal things such as roof vents and stove pipes on our house.  Ideally I think doing it on a perfectly clear day is best, but that's if you can afford to wait.  If not I think if you have enough time to let it skin over, then protect it you should be fine.  I would tent it with a durable plastic tarp or trash bag and maybe tape down the plastic to prevent water intrusion.  Your camper cover will not keep out all the water if it rains.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I've used Dicor lap sealant for several years. Self leveling for the roof and non-leveling for the sides. I don't think weather would have any affect on it after an hour and a cover shouldn't be a problem although I don't think to would be necessary.  What I don't do and I think is more important is move it for 24 hours so there's no chance of stressing it while it cures. Just make sure the surfaces are both completely clean before it's applied. The stuff is really easy to use.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 215
    Currently our plan is to bring the camper home one Friday next month (when it's hopefully warmed up and there's no rain in the forecast,) for "maintenance and cleaning" before our first trip of the season.

So replacing the vent for the sewer, re-lubing the bearings, taking all the gear stored in the camper out, cleaning up the interior, probably flushing the water lines (but not sanitizing, yet,) that sort of thing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge