Options

Modification to access yellow flappers from Nautilus

subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
edited April 15 in Modifications & Upgrades
It seems every time I need to access the yellow flappers for the Alde we have the bed made and stuff on top of it. I kludged together a small linkage that attaches to each flapper which then goes into my nautilus panel. At that point there is a knob with an indicator so I know exactly the flapper orientation.  Just turn the knob 1/4 turn CW to drain and back again to close it.

I used an electrical lug to transition from the 1/4" aluminum rod linkage to the flapper handle. Drilled a hole in the flapper, ran a screw thru the handle, then a flat washer and then 2 hex nuts.  The first nut is not tightened to the handle but left loose so there is play. The 2nd nut is tightened to the first nut as a jam nut to ensure this loose interface stays on the handle.

I had some 1/4" rod laying around but I see that, plus the other parts, are available on Amazon -lug, universal joint, etc.

I wanted to make sure that the pressure relief would still function hence the rather loose connection, the weight of the linkage is minor compare to the pressure at the trip point. 

Works well so far.  

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    This is automatic Tab Genius distinction!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    RobermcmRobermcm Member Posts: 70
    That is awesome! Rube Goldberg just rolled over. 
    2023 Tab 400
    2015 Audi Q7 TDI
    Northern Ohio

• Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 70
    That is ingenious but looks difficult to install.  Any chance there are remote operated valves where one could just flip a switch?
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @subkron congratulations! I believe you have just been awarded a patch from the T@b University. I personally feel that you have earned an "Excellence in Ingenious Engineering" award. Noted. It's been a while since one of these has been bestowed!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    Hahaha, thanks peeps.

@Hammick Really not too bad to install.  Locate and drill two holes (from the Nautilus panel) and the holes in the flapper. The rods get cut and then install all universals and the lugs to the rods before install. I did need to make the wood guide for the 45 degree support but that was just a bit of some spare wood.  Hardest was leaning over the bed into the compartment to get the lugs on the flappers, just not a comfortable working position.

I looked at other methods like cutting a 4" hole on the right Nautilus wall to reach in with my arm and access the flappers manually.  I did a scale model and for arm size it would have just about worked but seemed to be more difficult. 

I did think about a small DC motor that I could mount close to the valve and then couple that to the flapper. That solution is my rev B but it is kind of close to the bottom of a rather long list... 

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    Nice work!

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Nice solution, to one of the biggest issues with Nautilus units blocking the Alde compartment access on the newer TaB400s.  On the 2018-2020 pre-Nautilus TaB400s, you could reach the yellow flipper valves by reaching in the access door, which was used for the Alde bypass lever snd low point drains.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.